A Window to My Imagination

A Window to My Imagination

A Story by Robyn
"

dreaming..

"
I feel a tear slide down my cheek in solitude just before the other tears join in dismay. I can't hold back anymore. Soon, my face is wet and my eyes burn, but I remain silent. I lay on my side with my pale blue pillow supporting my throbbing head. My gruesome thoughts are spinning out of control.

I let my fingers trace the crevasses on the white-painted concrete walls where the grout was spread. Even these walls feel cold and lonely to me. So I let my sight drift into an unfocused state. As I stare into the eyes of the wall, I feel myself let go. My vision stars to blur. I want to get lost. I want to feel numb. I beg them to take me away from here. And soon I will be away...

I will be in a place with warm sunshine. And a peaceful brook where cool waters trickle from the earth. Yes, this white wall is no longer, but now a window to my imagination. A place where I am set free. No longer in the confines of that plain cold room I scarcely remember now. I am already gone.

As I drift deeper and deeper, all my senses begin to come to life. Everything becomes so vivid, so intense. I feel pleasant sparks in my brain as I take in the incredible beauty I can hardly fathom. I feel a tear stream down my face, but this time out of joy.

Majestic snow-capped mountains stand tall, praising the magnificent sky above. The sky is the clearest blue, so refreshing and captivating. I glance down upon my bare feet. The grass is soft under the soles of feet. I try to dig my toes into the earth. I feel a few blades of grass tickle my ankles. The rest of my body is caressed by the gentle breeze. I shiver a little, but only out of pure pleasure.

I close my eyes and breathe in the sweet fragrance of cool mountain air, kissed by hints of grass and wildflowers. I slowly let my eyelids lift to reveal again the picturesque scene too good to be true.

I take a few steps towards the shimmering waters of the creek. I love to listen to the soft murmur between the water and the pebbles. Music is alive here. In the distance I hear someone call my name. Once. Then twice. Surely I am not imagining his voice. I push my tousled hair from my eyes and look out.

Of course, it's him! Brian! I call out to him. I hold up my white cotton dress and run to meet him. I feel his warm body press against mine. My body aches for him. I stare into his dark brown eyes. We say nothing...only smile.

I cherish every moment together. I breathe in his masculine scent. One of his hands caresses my face, the other rests on the small of my back. His hands feel somewhat rough, but they are warm and tender with every touch.

My hands are wrapped around his neck and occasionally rub his strong shoulders. I've missed him more than words can express and I know he feels the same. The look in his eyes says it all. And then the moment...We both close our eyes and lean in. I can't wait to taste the sweetness of his kiss again. So tender, so loving, so....

CRASH!

What's happening? My eyes flutter open. I am no longer with Brian. I am no longer in the beautiful meadow by the mountains. I am in that awful room...perhaps I never quite left. Loneliness streams back on me. I rub my head and force myself to sit up.

What was that noise? I look around my room. It's quite dark now, but I can make out silhouettes. I hear my cat's tiny meow. I look down. He looks at me with his innocent green eyes. Oh Simon, you knocked over my plant again...and took me away from Brian, but how could I stay mad at you?

I smirk, but I pick him up in my arms. I stroke his coarse black fur. He purrs and begins to close his eyes. Soon Simon will fall asleep. I stay awake a few minutes longer. I sigh. I am hopelessly dreaming of what can never be.

Simon, you sure aren't Brian, but I love you just the same. I kiss Simon's head and let myself drift yet again...

© 2010 Robyn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wowsers! This was so good. You have a gift to portray emotion and all of that good stuff. Great job!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful writing, you portray emotion really well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh! This is amazing! You did a nice job I could feel the emotion like you wouldn't believe! Nice job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


oh wow

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great description and very solid writing. I could feel the longing and desire for both the locale and the person. Loved this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was interesting and much enjoyed. In some ways it reminded me of Bierce's 'An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge' where the imagination took flight but then was brought back to stark reality, as you do here with the crash. Kudos on a good piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow. this was beautiful

Posted 13 Years Ago


What a beautiful writing......Captured my attention from beginning to end! Bravo

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

372 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 30, 2010
Last Updated on August 30, 2010

Author

Robyn
Robyn

Berea, OH



About
I love music. I love writing. I love cats. I love my family. I love my friends. I love foreign films. I love Europe. ***I write to capture a moment or feeling.*** Я пы.. more..

Writing
Nova Nova

A Poem by Robyn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Trestles Trestles

A Poem by Robin


Died On Stage Died On Stage

A Poem by OT


Lil' Red Lil' Red

A Poem by OT