A Blessing In Disguise

A Blessing In Disguise

A Chapter by rose
"

Hope you enjoy.

"

Chapter 2

Waking up the next morning with my face down the toilet is not how I wanted a new day at home to start, I vomited for the last time before flushing the toilet with a groan. Standing I brushed my teeth and signed tiredly, four months and the morning still sickness won’t go, I thought grudgingly then took a shower before dressing up in some carpi-jeans and a big black t-shirt that covered the bump with white sneakers.

Going downstairs I turned to see jen in the kitchen flipping pancakes and smiled sitting at the counter, she smiled with a nod pushing a plate of pancakes and bacon with a glass of orange juice over to me and I hungrily gulped them down then asked for more which she complied to do with a roll of her eyes. After having a third plate of pancakes I washed the dishes then joined jen on the couch, rubbing my swollen stomach that is starting to grow into a large bump i turned to jen to ask “no work today?”

“nope, I always make sure my weekend is free. Saturday and Sundays are my days off.” she replied, then turned to me, staring down at my hand as I continued to rub my baby bump.

 “how’s the little peanut?” she asked, poking the stomach and I squirmed away.

 “hopefully alright, I have to go to the hospital at some point to see an OB/GYN.” I responded with a small sign.

“does Kevin know?” she asked and I nodded my head with a sad smile.

   “I told him but he called me a liar and called security to kick me out of his company.” she awkwardly rested her hand on mine then patted it gently.

“he’s an a*s and you can do better.” she tried to sound sympathetic, giving me an encouraging smile which looked more like a grimace and i laughed in amusement.

  “thanks for trying to cheer me up but am not so sure I want to do better right now, I think am just going to concentrate on having my baby.” she signed, shrugging.

    “well I tried and that’s probably the wisest thing for you to do, you know if you’re looking for work I know some fashion houses looking to hire. I doubt you could do a runway but to at least you could do some fashion photoshoot for pregnant women to gain some money.” she says, turning to face me fully “are you interested?”

   I shook my head without hesitation “I don’t think so, the last thing I want is the press knowing where I ran to and besides I don’t really want to go back to that scene. I mean I do understand what you mean about the money and though I have a lot saved that could last me at least a year, I still need to work if am going to provide for this peanut.” I replied with a thoughtful look “but I think I should just get some simple part-time job that is stress-free then think about your offer after I give birth.”

   She nodded in understanding then signed “I get it, just alert me if you change your mind.” patting my hand again she stood up “well I have some major editing to do so I’ll be in my room.”

     Nodding I watched her go then signed turning back to the TV which held no interest of mine, stretching on the couch I closed my eyes as sleep suddenly overcame me. The sound of breaking glass startled me from sleep and I sat up in a shocked daze looking around the house, getting up I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and walked out through the back door when I heard another sound of breaking glass coming from our neighbours. Worried I crossed over to their yard and hesitated for a minute before knocking on the back doors.

A deep baritone voice called out in a British accent “hold on please.” I signed, then leaned closer to peer through the glass when I heard series of cursing then another sound of breaking glass, tentatively I open the slide doors and walked inside what seems to be the kitchen.

 Moving forward into the living room I stood at the end of the steps and called out “hello, am sorry if am disturbing you but I heard the sound of breaking glass and was wondering if everything was alright?” another sound of breaking glass startled me before he released a loud curse.

   Footsteps sounded behind me and I turned to see a 6’2 curly brunette with ivory skin, low cheekbones with full lips, a scruffy beard around his sculptured jaw and huge muscles. He walked down the stairs with his hands outstretched on the wall trying to manoeuvre his steps carefully and when he came closer I noticed he looked to be in his early twenties wearing a light blue t-shirt and cargo-shorts.

   I moved backwards so he could get down then bit my lip in surprise at the raw intensity of his blue eyes though he couldn’t see me “hi, am josh Brooks.” he introduced raising his hand in greeting as he stopped on the last stair and I stepped forward and quickly held it, shaking his hand firmly I felt a sharp electric shock and pulled it back in surprise.

   Looking back up at the man i noticed he didn’t seem affected by it so I kept quite and tried to ignore the pleasurable feeling the rough callousness of his hand invoked on my body.

      “am Eva mandez. sorry to berg in unannounced but I live next door and was startled awake by the sound of broken glass, i came by to check if anything is wrong. I knew your grandparents from when I was small so I felt the need to check up on what’s going on if you don’t mind?” I rambled nervously, biting my lip to stop talking I took another step back as he took one closer.

  I don’t know why I felt nervous or even skittish around him but my brain screamed to keep some distance while my body seemed to cry for me to draw closer and take a deep inhale of the fruity cologne he’s wearing, he smiled gently as if sensing my nervousness and said “its fine, am sorry for disturbing you but I just got here 2 months ago and finally took up the strength to settle in. But as you probably heard am not exactly equipped to do this by myself since am temporarily blind.”

   “temporarily?” I asked, surprised and he motioned for me to follow him as he made his way to the kitchen.

     He nodded explaining “yeah, I had a bad car accident a week ago and shards of glass entered my eyes. The blindness is only temporary but I have to live like this for another week while my eyes slowly heal.”

“are you okay?” I asked not knowing what else to say but he simply shrugged.

 “am alright, its not so bad because I found using my other sense is quite thrilling.” he grinned taking out a box of strawberry’s and fake a moan as he bit into one and I smiled relaxing.

   “well that’s good to know.” I mumbled bemused.

      He hit his forehead with a groan “where are my manners, am sorry would you like anything to drink or eat?” he asked and I shook my head before remembering he can’t see me.

  “uhh no thanks, in fact I should probably get going.” I answered walking towards the slide doors and he nodded following behind me.

     “well it was nice meeting you Eva.” I smiled mumbling a goodbye before making my way down to the house, entering the back door I heard jen footsteps as she made her way downstairs.

  “Eva!” she called “is that you?”

     “yup.” I answered moving to the kitchen just as she rounded the last steps.

  “where were you? I’ve been looking for you for like 30mins.” she asked folding her arms before her with a frown.

        “why? What’s wrong?”

  “I thought I heard breaking glass so I came down to find out what happened but when I didn’t see you I searched the house and you were gone.” she explained worriedly and I smiled gently.

     “sorry, but I also woke up to the sound of breaking glass which came from the neighbours place and went over to check it out.” I explained raiding the cupboards until I found a box of Oreo and ripped it open stuffing one in my mouth.

  “well what happened, was he okay?” she asked in relief, then leaned her elbows on the counter and I nodded explaining what happened.

     She clapped her hands with a grin “oh this is just great, you should apply for the job.” jen suggested with a twinkle in her eyes and I choked on Oreo, quickly opening the fridge I grabbed a bottle of water and chugged it down before spluttering.

   “what the hell are you talking about!”

       “you heard me, this is the opportunity you wanted. The house is next door so you don’t have to stress yourself trying to get there every morning and its not a hard job as long as you take it easy so it’s perfect,” she explained standing straight “plus… judging by the grin on your face when you were talking about him the view won’t be so bad.” she grinned slyly.

   I scowled not even knowing I had been grinning at the time “he’s blind.” I stated with a blank look.

     “temporarily,” she stressed giving me a pointed look “you said so yourself, besides am not asking you to sleep with him just give him a helping hand then get paid… and if anything happens then so be it.” she mumbled with an innocent expression but I shook my head at the crazy idea.

   “I don’t think so jen, even if I were to consider it and that’s a big if I can’t log around heavy stuff while am carrying a baby.” I tried to reason walking around her to the couch though she just followed on my heels.

   “you could simply explain your condition and am sure he would agree to you just helping with light stuffs.” I bit my lip in hesitation considering the idea then signed facing her.

      “and what if he doesn’t hire me?” I asked playing the only card I had left  she just regarded me with a grin.

  “then I guess we’ll just have to find out.”



© 2017 rose


Author's Note

rose
please read, review and comment. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on December 24, 2017
Last Updated on December 24, 2017
Tags: romance, contemporary, cheating, love, blessing, disguise, second chances, faith.


Author

rose
rose

ogun state, makogi, Nigeria



About
an introvert who is a little bit naive and slow in most cases but also perceptive and trusts people too easily. am also fun but a dose of dry humor mixed in but most of all i love writing and novel..... more..

Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by rose