A Loathful Start/A Lasting Love

A Loathful Start/A Lasting Love

A Story by Spencer Barker
"

This is my own literacy narrative. Starting with myself, a young boy loathing of the nefarious nature of reading, and ending with true love.

"

Reading itself and the ability to read is a skill needed in our modern world; it is what connects and empowers our will and want to learn for the good of humanity and ourselves. I have realized this common truth from the day I fell in love with information and reading as a whole, to my present situation in my literary life. It was common for myself to reject my Mothers’ request to read even just a short excerpt from a children’s book. The words on each of the pages aspired to be monsters tearing at the seams of my eyes, in which I avoided even the idea of looking at, at all costs. Grudgingly, I read. I did so for many book reports, library visits, and “pleasure” reading at home. At this time I did not realize how much reading would impact my life now and what it means to me. Anyway, as school years past, new teachers pushed to get me to read. Upon my introduction to elementary school, I became quite familiar with the Eager Reader Program; this program aspired to encourage kids to read through the awarding of prizes. As a new kindergartner should be, I was excited with the prospect of a fun activity; scoring sheets with large studious looking owls, sitting atop their own stack of books were passed around. As I remember it to this day, I recall the emotions I felt not only for discovering this opportunity, but also, of course… the prizes. At this point in time, this became my first and foremost priority (other than playing outside with my friends, of course) and nothing would tear me away from getting the prizes. One small condition to the awarding or even consideration of these prizes�"I had to read. Even now, I recall the slightly disheartened emotion I felt when the announcement was made that in order to be awarded, we would have to read a certain amount of books before reaching each “tier” of prizes.

In the next couple of months I will have read a good number of books; I cannot remember exactly how many, but I do remember it being considerable at the least. Excitement made its way up through my toes to out my mouth the day of the prize revealing. The anticipation previous of this day as I remember was unbearable; I had turned in my reading log sheet in the plastic bag; it had taken about a month or so before the day came. I was alright waiting but I knew I wanted those prizes. To my slight disappointment however, I hadn’t received the volume I had expected. Within the prize baggy was an official Eager Reader Program eraser head and some highly colorful coated pencils (and I believe, some candy). Although this was not the specific prize I was expecting, I was astonished at that moment that my hard work at reading got me these prizes. However, I also recall the satisfaction having remembered and recalled back on the books I had read and that I was able to retain new information from it. This simple but awe-inspiring truth, even at this age, inspired, amazed, and motivated me to continue, regardless whether I would receive a prize or not, because the ultimate prize I knew at that point in time (and still believe today) was the increased knowledge and imagination that comes from books of all kinds.

As grade level passed as fast as it had come, I found myself becoming more and more enamored with the possibilities and selections of books readily available. For example, our school library would host, once a year, a book sale. I remember fondly peering over the table of books at their colorful and often shiny covers; specifically a Guinness world record book. I left that day with a clean, neat, and handsome edition of the first Nancy Drew series. I was dismayed by the fact (later learned) that this series was primarily meant for girls; this embarrassed me then and in fact embarrasses me now, for it really doesn’t matter if it was for girls or boys; it can be for either enjoyment; I never read that book. However, upon this discovery, I glanced through the last pages of the book to see a full of list of other mysteries by the Hardy Boys. I remember thinking, “Okay, this one might be for me”. I still have the various editions from that series on my bookshelf. Having read several of these books, I became curious of other series much like this and which would have broadened my literary horizons.

Now with 76 (or so) books on my bookshelf, ranging from hiking information to horror stories to inspiring biographies, I have visited the greatness and imagination all in the land of reading and being able to read. I owe this primarily to my Mom for pushing me even when I found it most hard to want to and showing me what greatness and love can be found within literature, to my elementary school teachers and librarians, and lastly to my Father who, like my mother, has also pushed me in the direction of learning from literature of all kinds, helping me through the unwillingness to yet again, get the ultimate prize. 

© 2016 Spencer Barker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have always loved books. I started reading Jack London and Mark Twain at seven years old. I believe reading make us better writers. Open new world and new places for us. I enjoyed your story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Spencer Barker

8 Years Ago

Thank you again, Coyote! That is some impressive reading at such a young age. I completely agree wit.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I did and you are welcome.
Even I've read Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books. They felt amazing at that time. But where the argument starts is when people ask you what did you GAIN by reading fiction ?(or real story) Many people think that it is stupid to read something if it is not beneficial, or more properly, profitable.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Spencer Barker

8 Years Ago

Chinmay, you have some very good points. It is interesting to hear people's opinions on what is good.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 27, 2016
Last Updated on February 27, 2016
Tags: Reading, Love, Young, Literacy Narrative