Chapter 6: Ending or Beginning

Chapter 6: Ending or Beginning

A Chapter by Shannon

I scan the questions, looking for the one that suits me best.  I need to write an essay to get accepted into a program at university that will let me start my real work, helping people.  When I see the question, I know:

Who, excluding your family, has had the most influence on how you view those who are marginalized by society?

It’s been nearly a decade since I first volunteered there and probably 6 years since the last time I set foot inside. Regardless, my response to this question resides there, in my experiences at Meals Shared.

*****

I had volunteered for a year and a half after that first Christmas party, although towards the end, my shifts became increasingly sporadic.  After Bev left, a series of directors took her place.  My young self was exposed to my first up close look at hypocrisy and judgement.

One director decided the kitchen was ‘too dependant’ on Leonard and took over cooking, shouting at everyone.  Fine option volunteers rarely finished their time at Meals Shared. I hope they found new placements and didn’t just give up, which would have eventually landed them in jail.  Both Edgar and Leonard started coming less frequently.

Another reserved the parking spot closest to the staff door for her car, so it ‘wouldn’t get vandalized’ even though that was never a problem, then chastised volunteers for ‘hanging around’ too close to it during breaks, at the picnic table we had always used.

The last one thought that volunteers, especially those who were on fine option, shouldn’t eat.  ‘Cost too much money’ and they shouldn’t earn time for eating. He cancelled Santa’s visit.  Too many people were coming who ‘didn’t need food.’

Near the end of grade 10, I decided not to come back the following school year.  How am I going to tell Leonard and Edgar, I thought to myself over and over.

We were busy the day that became my last and had fewer volunteers all the time.  Leonard was in the kitchen; he and his dwindling crew had made pasta and sauce.  As he made his way to a table, I could see the pain in his stiff walk.  I was sopping up a spilled drink and was relieved to see one of the kitchen volunteers had grabbed an extra plate of food to put in front of Leonard.

I was the only one working out front, and was carrying my fourth full bus tub in a row into the kitchen, having fallen behind while making more coffee, when the most recent director called: “Sarah, grab me a cup of coffee,” while holding up his empty cup towards me.

I looked at him, sitting by the serving station on a stool, making marks on a page, counting the patrons served.  He had four categories: adults, children, volunteers and fine option. Seeing him sitting there, having not helped prepare, serve or clean up the meal being served that day, knowing that his purpose in counting was to divide people into groups: those who need food, those who deserve food and those who are neither, was the final push I needed.

“I’m busy,” I told him over my shoulder, wiping my wet forehead with the sleeve of my shirt, before carrying the last full bin into the kitchen.

I took my place in the food line (needing and deserving or not), stared past the director for my entire wait, got my food and went to sit with Leonard, leaving my post stocked and neat, but untended.

“Today’s my last day,” I told Leonard.  I was still fuming about the director, but saying those words and seeing the look on Leonard’s face, dampened that fire.

“It’s probably time,” he answered.  He looked sad, and maybe a bit angry, with his brows down and his mouth turned down as well.  Meals Shared was turning into one of the places he had warned me about, treating people without respect.

“Will you tell Edgar for me?” I asked him.

“Sure will.”

Tears threatened to fall, so I took my plate to the bus tubs, scraped most of my supper into the trash and resumed my position, finishing service and cleaning up for the next day, like usual.

Leonard walked out with me that day, his leg worse than I had ever seen, leaning on his cane with each step.  He stopped just before we parted ways, he to get in his beat-up truck, me heading to my bus stop.

“You did good here, Red.” Leonard declared.  With a period on the end. His final word, no room for questions.  He was smiling, but his eyes were shiny, like they were when Rob came to tell us he finished his commercial cooking course and had a job at the hospital.

It was not the last time I saw Leonard, but I thought it might be, so I threw my arms around him and gave him a hug. Then turned and ran to my bus stop, so he wouldn’t see me cry.

*****

The last time I saw Leonard was about two years later, after my grade 12 year, as I was getting ready to head off to university, planning a career in the sciences, years before I realized that was not my path.

My mom had handed me the classified section of the newspaper and asked “Is that your Meals Shared Edgar?”

I looked down at the page.  An obituary.  Edgar Pearson, a good friend of Santa Claus, passed away after a battle with a long-term illness.  He was survived by a daughter and granddaughter.  Any donations in his memory could be made to Meals Shared.

Taking my tip money from the weekend, I made the surprisingly short drive to Meals Shared.  Parking in the gravel lot, I considered my next step.  It wouldn’t be open for another hour at least, so the patron door would be locked.  As I approached the staff door, worried I wouldn’t know anyone after more than two years, a square figure limped over to sit on an old metal lawn chair by the staff door and studiously lit a cigarette.

I wondered if Leonard would remember me or if it had been too long and I had changed too much. I needn’t have worried, a smile instantly tugged at his mouth and his ever-expressive eyebrows.

“Hey, Red,” he greeted, as he carefully put out the remainder of the newly lit cigarette on the old coffee can and returned the unsmoked portion to the package in his chest pocket. “Let’s get a coffee, inside. Tea’s on, too”

“It’s coffee now,” I tell him.  “I’ll get you one.  Cream, still?”

“Yeah, some things don’t change.” His quieter voice made me look at him again.  He looked older, head lower, shoulders more slumped, as though he was carrying more weight. His eyes were far off, thinking of all the things that do change, maybe.

As we entered the building, it was clear all the volunteers were taking a break, quietly talking.  I recognized a few faces, including Bev, the first director. And one of the volunteers, who reminded me that her name is Denise. She greeted Leonard, pulled out chair for him.  His face changed, some of the weight lifted.  She directed others to push over and make room for me to pull up a chair beside Leonard, as the conversation resumed.

A conversation about our friend Edgar.  Laments for his loss turned to storytelling, followed by laughter. The plaid shirts, the prized beard, the jack of all trades work history, the proud dad and even prouder grandfather were all eulogized around a big round table, in a run-down place, in a bad part of town, by an unlikely group of friends, acquaintances and strangers.

Denise spoke up, voice tinged with awe, “Didn’t he kick Taz out once?”

Leonard laughed heartily: “That man was making moves on Sarah here; he’s lucky he made it out in one piece!”

The conversation deepened, as one man, wearing a black hat, the “no colours” rule still applicable, asked, “Did alcohol kill him?”

Leonard spoke: “Edgar had the kind of alcoholism that can sneak up on a guy.  Work hard, drink hard.  Didn’t cause him too many problems. Could slow down mostly when he needed to.  Didn’t start drinking all his money until he and his wife split.  By the time he knew he had a problem, it’d already got his liver.  Think that’s what got him in the end.”

*****

So now I have five hundred words to tell some unknown person reading an essay what I learned at Meals Shared.  How it, along with Leonard, Edgar and many others, shaped me.  How I learned to think and see the world and those in it.

*

I reflect on the talkative barely teen from the private school, who was bursting with energy and Leonard’s choice to teach her all jobs are important, while not subjecting patrons to her well-meaning enthusiasm, until he could be sure whether the desire to help came from pity or somewhere else.  How he listened to her and found a spark of something to nurture and fuel. I learned to listen, look deeper and find the humanity buried behind behaviour.

I think about the lessons in dignity and kindness, both in word and in action.  Treating each patron, volunteer, visitor and donor with respect and expecting the same in return. Accepting where people are at, whether they are a drunk patron, a young woman who ends up in fine option repeatedly or a naive volunteer, with too many questions. I learned to celebrate all successes and joys, large and small.

I felt community and its importance in a place I never expected to find it . Each person was invited to eat, to join the conversation, to meet Santa, to use their skills and contribute their ideas. Leonard, Edgar and Bev saw all volunteers and patrons as equal. I learned that belonging is a basic human need, to reval that of food.

I consider what it meant for Edgar to stand up to Taz so firmly and what he might have been protecting me from, using adult eyes; the rearranging of the bus tub tables so I never got trapped again and Edgar’s proud smile the first time I told a patron to back up a few steps. I learned that helping does not have to compromise one’s safety.

I discovered that a man I admired, trusted and believed in had not always been the man I knew and that is was possible to change, to grow, to become something different. That people are never just one thing; a barrier they are facing does not define them as a human being.  I learned that every person has a story; it’s a privilege when someone shares a bit of theirs with you.

I saw that addictions, mental illness and poverty are complex; they look different in each person’s life. That we can accept people where they are at, even if we don’t agree with their choices. That one alcoholic may lose his family to his addiction, while another may be able to manage his well enough every year to make his family proud as Santa.  I learned the goals of helping can never be in the hands of those helping.

I understand now that even two pillars, like Edgar and Leonard, cannot keep hypocrisy at bay and that respect and dignity can be undermined by those who have privilege with a few small gestures, words or actions.  Or even inaction.  I learned helping should not compromise one’s values or the value of any human being.  But we each have a role to play and sometimes, we need to make the changes where we can.

*

A tear escapes my eye, bringing me back to the task at hand. Five hundred words will not do justice to that place, that time, those people or what they taught me.  For five hundred words, they cannot have that story.  I’ll choose another question to convince admissions I belong in their program and save Meals Shared for somewhere I can honour them.



© 2017 Shannon


Author's Note

Shannon
I feel like the final section might be a little self indulgent, with all the telling instead of showing. I tried to keep the reflection down to a minimum (actually it's the 500 words referenced), but is it too much? I also know that section is oddly written, it's intended to represent a train of thought. But let me know (gently please) how this whole chapter reads.

Thank you to those who have followed me all the way through this meandering little journey. I have learned a lot from your ongoing feedback and plan to go back to rearrange and possibly omit or add parts of the entire work someday, based on your feed back and my growth as a writer throughout this process.

As always, all constructive feedback welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

In my heart of hearts I know that you and Sarah are one. Sorry to see that Edgar died. I worked with a waiter, who happened to also be a world class bridge player, but he drank excessively. With the attitude of the "new director" I can understand why you or anyone else would chose to leave.

I'm curious though, how close were you to Edgar? Both he and Leonard were so protective of Sarah.

It is so interesting to see all the lessons she learned about human beings while working at the Meals Shared. She could have gotten college credit in a sociology course or two. Her awareness of these peoples' "social condition' is extraordinary.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading this far. I appreciate your ongoing feedback and reactions.
Tch Tch Tch ... you missed correcting those two word choice mistakes.

I can't remember exactly how the previous version worked, but i seem to remember it had less directness and was much looser. This version is really tightened up.

Good job on revising and editing. But please please please fix those two minor mistakes. They are driving me crazy. :P

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Done. Hate to drive such a loyal reviewer crazy 😉.

But seriously thank you for re.. read more
SweetNutmeg

7 Years Ago

Haha, thank you, you have made an obsessive person very happy
This seriously made me cry too. I don't feel it was self indulgent at all. It wrapped things up very well. I like the contrast between the first portions told from a naive point of view, then the same things looked at from an adult point of view. It was sad that hypocrisy drove her away, but that is what life is like. I think the train of thought approach worked well too.

I have two tiny nit-picks of word choice:

1."I learned that belonging is a basic human need, to revival that of food."
"rival" not "revival"

2. "Accepting where people are at, weather they are a drunk patron"
"whether" not "weather."

All in all, this was a compelling, unique piece. I just love Red's voice in the preceding chapters and this last chapter is a successful contrast to her naive nature earlier. I feel like the telling fits, as you are speaking directly to us. It works for me.

If you end up doing some serious revision, I'd very much like to see the end product.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AUU
1. I can't recall, does Sarah have a college she wants to get into? Saying as much, instead just calling it "university," would be a nice detail.

2. "...into a program that will let me start my real work." What's her real work?

3. "since I first volunteered there..." Where's there? I know---the soup kitchen, and I know you end the sentence with "Meals Shared," but why the coyness in the first half of the sentence?

4. I like the use of the college essay though. That touch seems very real to me.

5. Why did Bev leave?

6. Does "fine option?" need to be capitalized?

7. "Fine options volunteers...less frequently."
I'm not sure about this sentence. I think you're implying that because of the new director being a spaz volunteers started to spend less time there, but the sentence is missing a link to the previous sentence expressing the fall out of the new director.

8."Too many people were coming who didn't need food." Was this the director's reason for cancelling Santa's visit? I'm missing the connection.

9. "I could see the pain on his face and in his walk." What did Sarah see Leonard doing for her to realize he was in pain?

10. You do a well job to show the problems with the new directors. The coffee bit was especially telling.

11. "He stopped...me heading to my bus stop." This sentence confused me. I don't know think you need to add the direction of where they are heading before they actually part ways.

12. "grade 12 year." Do they call it 'senior' year in Canada?

13. I thought it was nice the way you referenced Rob's last day to Sarah's with Leonard's teary eyes. I guess I expected a bit more from Rob in the story, but that's the nature of your story to handle a character's importance a bit more realistic---they come and go.

14. "The last time...as I was getting ready to head off to....that was not my path." I'm having a hard time following this sentence. So Sarah saw Leonard two years after her senior year of high school, which would make her a sophomore in college, but it sounds as though she hasn't started college yet---"getting ready."

15. That's a real natural way many people find out about old friend's who've passed away. Not sure about finding it in the classified section though. There's typically an "obituary" section in newspapers.

16. "Taking my tip money." What is Sarah doing for work now?

17. Why was it a surprisingly short drive to Meals Shared?

18. I have to say that I was expecting a bit more with Sarah's sad reunion with Meal's Shared.

19. I like your conclusion with Sarah reflecting on the lessons she's learned, but...

20. I feel as though I missed a lot of those character moments and character growth you mentioned.

I recall the beginning of this story, how you said this story is more about Leonard and Edgar's relationship as viewed through Sarah, and I don't think you accomplished that.

In my opinion this story works so much better as Sarah's story then theirs. That's not to say there is no room for Edgar or Leonard, as I think there's just enough of them. What there isn't enough of is Sarah.

As much as I like Sarah's reflection, it would work so much better if there was had hard character growth, and this can only work if there was more Sarah. For an example, Sarah's reflection speaks of Sarah's private school background and alludes to the soup kitchen humbling her. I want to read about that.

I want to read about Sarah's privileged life juxtaposed with the people at Meal's Shared. I want Sarah's reaction to huffing teens be that of one shock, maybe disgust at first, before she learns empathy.

I want to know why she came to Meal's Shared.

I think overall that's what this story is missing---a more compelling POV.

None-the-less, I enjoyed my time reading this story. Thank you :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the continued reading and detailed reviews. Always appreciate the time and effort. read more
Sarah must have a heart of gold. Through all the trials and tribulations Sarah has experienced she not only see the light at the end of the tunnel, she makes the light. I too was upset with the loss of Edgar, he so much reminded me of a long lost friend. This has to be one of the best pieces I've read here. Thank you.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Sarah learned who she wants to be in the world in that place and began to understand how to do it. <.. read more
You say this chapter is "self-indulgent" but sharing your heart like this is at the very crux of good writing. This is the best chapter becuz you are being self-indulgent. Your "self" is worthy of being indulged, even tho you try to direct all your indulgence outwards. We (your audience) are honored to find out more about what motivated this story in the first place. We are eager to know this part of you, which you've expressed so well & so clearly. Thank you for showing us the personal truths behind your story. It's been a pleasure & I'm sorry its over for now. So many things in this chapter ring true for me . . . both about the times I was not very open-minded toward the less-advantaged people & also when I became one & felt the scorn & pity from the other side of the equation. I admire you tremendously for learning these lessons about 40 years before I did! (((HUGS))) Thanks for sharing your generous spirit.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Well, barleygirl, thank you so much. It took me a long time to realize the impact this time in my .. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

I don't remember this chapter being so well developed & complete with so many examples of the points.. read more
I loved this story stand the development of sarah and I'd that to see Edgar go as he was a strong character a man who had a few demons the characters bring to life of how it is on the streets for most yet when we come together we can do great thing such an amazing write

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I am glad they shone through. That's what I was trying to show.
Raylene

7 Years Ago

Well they did great work
As I walk past reading this chapter, I feel a warmth in my heart, the lessons learned, the story behind a person's life is lighting up the page. Being a human I can imagine myself in your place in the story, the things you have seen, learned, the connections you have made with those people who taught you those life lessons which are still standing with you as your pillars of wisdom.

I felt hurt, I felt hurt to see Sarah finding the news of Edgar's death, and I was worried about what she might do, because I know what death can do to us. But I was glad to see Leonard again, even though the Meals Shared had changed.

I see and hear the humbleness in your words, I find the gratitude that you have for those people and how thankful you are for the lessons you have learned, and for those people too.

You are one of the most patient, understanding and selfless human being I have known, and my wondering about your compassionate heart has finally found its answers through Meals Shared... I felt you deepest relationship with the place and those people and what they meant to you and still mean to you...

Humbled to know you.

Sincerely,
Dhiman

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Well, Dhiman, this has to be the most complimentary review on the Café. The family I grew up in .. read more
"Tears threatened to fall..." Join the club, Sarah. *Sniffle*

Boring? No! This is a great way to wrap it up. I love the twist here at the end that this is actually Sarah writing this as she prepares for college. Although I think you should look for a way to make the part at the start of the chapter at the end. That would make it more of a surprise when the reader gets to the end and sees that Sarah has been recounting her experiences at Meals Shared.

Other than that, I think your rewriting should have more focus on previous chapters. Leonard and Edgar are still kinda similar as others have pointed out.

Good luck rewriting. I'll just be holding back tears from the ending.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Thank you '73 (ya, I did just shorten your username) for sticking with me for this entire journey. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

450 Views
9 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 26, 2016
Last Updated on March 29, 2017


Author

Shannon
Shannon

Canada



About
I like to explore the world through the human experience, at once both varied and singular. Reading, writing and meeting people makes one's world larger. I enjoy connecting with people, learning.. more..

Writing
The Lamp The Lamp

A Story by Shannon


Inevitable Inevitable

A Poem by Shannon