I Am a Lock

I Am a Lock

A Story by Sarah Carswell
"

A short story that is my way of describing myself to the world

"

I am like a lock in many ways. Easily closed off from the world and only opened if one has a key. Not like windows, open and easy to see through, nor a bedroom, warm and comforting with the promise of pleasant dreams.

 

            I'm protective of those I love, locking out the evils of the world and the darkness of the night. Secure and reliable, steady and strong, I am always there when I'm needed. Not like walls, open and easy to see, for I am a secret protector. Closed-off from the danger the outside world brings but can also bring fear to those who are unfortunate enough to be on my bad side. I can be creative, hiding behind a masterpiece of a doorknob, with wonderful keys to match of many different shapes and colours, silver, gold, and copper. Though easy to understand, complicated for those without the key, all gears and springs. But I am nothing without my door, and what is a door without a doorframe, walls, and floor.

           

            The floor to build the walls upon, both steady and secure. Then the windows to let in the light and welcome the day. A roof to keep out the rain and boiling summer sun. The door, when open is welcoming, but when closed is silently sending a message to stay out. Finally, those who live within, for what use is a house when it's not a home?

 

            I am a lock, protective, closed-off, secure, comforting, and secretive. But what am I without a door, floor, windows, roof, walls, doorframe, and people to protect?

 

            I am nothing, but gears and springs. Nothing but bits of cold metal melted down into useless junk. I am nothing without those that I love. So thank you to all the walls of my life; windows and floor. Thank you to the people I wish to protect, because without you I am nothing but a lock.

© 2015 Sarah Carswell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you Sarah, you know very well chose some Keys for some locks. So you find out a key issues. It's best symbol. Great job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sarah Carswell

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your nice comment
Beautifully weaved poem. I feel like every sentence was well thought out and place to it's maximum potential. Great work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sarah Carswell

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.
Seems as if your lock is opening right in front of my very eyes ;) Very cool piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Sarah Carswell

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I get super nervous at the thought of someone reading my work so I appreciate your nice c.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 4, 2015
Last Updated on January 4, 2015

Author

Sarah Carswell
Sarah Carswell

Canada



About
Besides loving to write stories, which seems a little obvious, I also have a passion for reading and painting. I may have a bit of a TV addiction but what can I say? I love all types of storytelling. .. more..

Writing
Jump Jump

A Poem by Sarah Carswell