Flash Forward

Flash Forward

A Chapter by Nicole

Pain is what man is best at. It’s also what we fear the most.

And pain is what I felt when he looked at me. He says nothing, just stares wide eyed, the words caught on his breath. I can see my name dancing behind his lips; part of me wants to hear him say it, just one last time before we both die. It’s been too long since I’ve heard my real name. The syllables are pressing on his tongue, but before he has a chance to release them, there’s a glimmer of steel, a crisp noise, and the soldier’s blade runs through his back. Unshed questions still ring in his eyes as I choke on the scream caught in my throat. I run to his side, my entire world shifted off balance, falling from the edge of the earth.

His eyes are vacant as they stare at something just above me. Sobs start echoing against my ribcage in an effort to purge my soul from the sudden collapse of the world.

I know that I am screaming, and yet, I can hear nothing.

The world has shifted into a silence around me.

My teardrops fall to his face, washing away the dirt.

This boy was my companion, forever holding both my mind and my heart.

My arms cradle his head, protecting the face I have both feared and adored, in a holy sort of hybrid.

His white flesh is laced with salt from falling tears. I lean down slowly, kissing his pale lips softly.

The last gesture to his humanity.

It’s a taste I shall forever remember.

It tasted like despair, mixed in with promises, both broken and kept. It tasted like open air and salt incrusted dirt, simmered in summer rain. It tasted like both forever and eternity, and all of time’s secrets held at gunpoint.

It was the taste of the world ending.


© 2012 Nicole


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, I'm in complete and toal awe... this beginning is very strong, a true attention grabber hat captivates and holds the audience captive!!! I love the description and the emotion is so raw and powerful, sad yet equally intrigueing...I long to know what happens next, excellent chapter :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nicole

11 Years Ago

thank you so very much, you have no idea how much that means to me :)



Reviews

Wow, I'm in complete and toal awe... this beginning is very strong, a true attention grabber hat captivates and holds the audience captive!!! I love the description and the emotion is so raw and powerful, sad yet equally intrigueing...I long to know what happens next, excellent chapter :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nicole

11 Years Ago

thank you so very much, you have no idea how much that means to me :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 24, 2012
Last Updated on August 26, 2012


Author

Nicole
Nicole

About
I'm not a normal person. That'd be too easy. "Imperfection is beauty, maddness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." They tell me I wouldn't last one d.. more..

Writing
Wildfire Wildfire

A Poem by Nicole