Chilling

Chilling

A Story by Obscured by the Shadows

It was one of those "chill you to the bone" kind of dreams, the ones that, when it get's to the scary part you snap awake wondering how you could have possibly dreamt of that.

I close my eyes and open them to find myself standing in a field of grass. I blink again and the entire field is on fire, the heat scorches my skin. When it begins to blister, tears form in my eyes, so I blink and see the entire scene is now ash, with a lone hangman's noose, empty in the middle of the once green field. Another blink and I am standing in a crowd, surrounded by hundreds, all of them screaming and yelling, "kill her, kill her, kill her!" I notice a girl, about sixteen, standing up at the hangman's noose, her hair a golden blonde. Even though I have never seen this girl before, I know her eyes, full of fear, are a bright blue green. Honestly I don't know how I know. I watch as two men walk up to her and slip a bag over her head and I blink once more - all goes black, but I can still hear the yells and shouts: "kill her, burn her, hang her, make her pay!" I realize then that something is covering my face. I lift my hands to touch the covering and find that my hands are tied together. What could possibly be going on?

            I don't understand what is happening until I hear one devastating word: "guilty." I feel the thick piece of rope loop around my neck and hear a loud click sound as they prepare to trigger the trap door. Before I can even think of something to say, I am falling, falling to nothing. Just as the rope goes taunt, ready to end my life, I wake up in a pool of sweat, tears ready to pour down my face, my heart racing, and after that, I fell apart.

© 2016 Obscured by the Shadows


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Vivid description of a nightmare! The change of perspective to give us a full picture very indicative of a dream and clever way to give us a full picture.

One more thought. Consider not letting the title give it all away.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Obscured by the Shadows

7 Years Ago

Good point, I will change that.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Added on January 21, 2016
Last Updated on September 24, 2016

Author

Obscured by the Shadows
Obscured by the Shadows

Flagstaff, AZ



About
Hello all. I have been absent from this glorious site for some time now. However, I have decided to try to be a lot more active, post new stuff, reading other people's writing, and entering contests! .. more..

Writing