A Stormy Night

A Stormy Night

A Story by Obscured by the Shadows
"

When everything you've ever loved has been stolen from you, do you rely on flight or fight?

"
 

          I haven’t been the same since they came. Riding in the night while we were all sleeping, a skulk of foxes sneaking in to a den of sleeping hens. The moon was high and full, but masked behind a sky of thick clouds. The rain that fell from them covered the sounds of the intruders’ horses as they strode into our village with dark motives in mind.

          They came for my father’s hut first, as he was the head of our village and caretaker of all who lived there. On this night, however, he did not do a very good job. My sister and I slept in the smallest room in the back of the hut while our parents slept in the main room where the front door led in. It burst open, showering the floor with speckles of rain water. The wind howled outside, calling out in terror as we soon would. The noise woke me before it woke my sister and I quickly stood up, shielding her from whatever dangers were to come.

          My mother’s screams told me something was wrong and this wasn’t just an ordinary stormy night. I peered out of my room and watched as a man in black armor struck her head from her shoulders. It fell to the floor and rolled in between my feet, soaking the floor with blood. I squeaked in fear, but quickly covered my mouth and went back into my room, not wanting to see what would happen to my father.

          Peering down at my still sleeping sister, I leaned down and put a hand on her shoulder. “Meera,” I said softly, one of my tears fell on her cheek. “Meera, it is time to get up, come with me." My voice was almost too quiet to hear, but me jostling her arm woke her.

          Letting out a big yawn and rubbing her big, blue eyes, she stared up at me. “Ryker?” she said sleepily. “Why is it still dark outside?”

          Wiping the tears from my eyes, I lifted her in my arms as best as I could. “Because it is raining, dear Meera.” I walked to the window of our room and placed her on the sill, climbing up after her. “Come with me, don’t you want to play in the rain?”

          Excitement gleamed in her eyes and she smiled, “Of course!” She quickly jumped down of the sill, landing in the muddy water below with a giggle.

          Before following her, I glanced behind me and watched as the black armored man walked into our room and locked eyes with me. Underneath his mouth guard I could see a big, twisted, white-toothed smile. “Come here, boy,” he grumbled and lunged towards me.

          I leaped out the window and grabbed Meera’s arm. “Come now! Let us run into the forest.”

          The idea of adventure sparked energy in her eyes, as she was still unaware of what was going on. Rain streamed down on our faces, masking my tears. We ran together, hand in hand, into the forest, leaving the village behind us as it was likely torn to ruin. As we neared the tree line I heard heavy pounding and a horse whinnying behind us. Lightning struck and lit up the black knight riding up behind us.

          Just before he reached us, we reached the trees and I pulled Meera close to me a put a hand over her mouth. “Hush, Meera,” I said as she struggled beneath my strength. “This is all part of the game, it is time to play hide and seek.”

          She stopped struggling so I released her. Once again, she looked up at me, her big blue eyes a dark grey in the moonlight gleaming with interest in what I had to say. “I am going to hide,” I told her, “and you are going to count. Start at one and make your way to ten, okay?”

          Meera simply nodded, turned her back to me, facing a tree. “One, two, three...” she began to whisper. I ran from her and into the forest, leaving her behind. I turned back only for a moment and watched as the black night found her crouched behind that tree and cleaved her in two with his big sword, not a drop of mercy for one so small.

          “Goodbye, Meera,” I said softly as I ran into the night, only regretting my decision for a single moment. The rain fell heavily on me, the moon shined above as it did every other night. My family was dead, but I was not, and on that night, I cried as I ran through the trees away from my capture. I was never the same again.

© 2017 Obscured by the Shadows


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on October 11, 2017
Last Updated on October 11, 2017
Tags: betrayal, death, murder, night, storm, knight

Author

Obscured by the Shadows
Obscured by the Shadows

Flagstaff, AZ



About
Hello all. I have been absent from this glorious site for some time now. However, I have decided to try to be a lot more active, post new stuff, reading other people's writing, and entering contests! .. more..

Writing