Uncle Charlie

Uncle Charlie

A Story by R.J Calzonetti (SinisterPotatoe)
"

At a young age, my uncle was always there for me.

"

“You have nightmares too?” He asked me. “I’m afraid of the dark.”

That’s what my uncle said before they kicked him out his own house and into an asylum.

Before they clipped his wings.

I remember when I was a child, my uncle was as much a father figure as my dad.

Every time he saw me, he would give me a loonie or a toonie.

He worked his a*s off at a dead end job, suffered from mental illness, and never got any respect from anyone.

Yet he’d waste his money on me.

Sure, growing up was hard for me with the bullying, but I knew that my father and uncles came from poverty.

That’s what my dad always said.

But dad was successful, and Uncle Charlie was on the other side of the coin.

Charlie was an amazing baseball player back in the day, so good, he was in the paper.

But Charlie's parents never had the money to support his career.

And after his parents divorced he fell into a hole of depression so deep he couldn’t get out.

He loved his mother, and she just up and left.

And yet he was supporting me.

Selfless old Uncle Charlie.

© 2017 R.J Calzonetti (SinisterPotatoe)


Author's Note

R.J Calzonetti (SinisterPotatoe)
This is a mostly true story about my uncle. A selfless, giving, caring man. He was always very depressed, and I haven't seen him in years. I miss him.


I very seldom reply to reviews, but I promise I read EVERY single one. I look forward to my next review, because it helps me learn. Even if it's just one word, I promise, I will be ecstatic to have the chance to hear what you have to say. Whenever you write something about my poems, or the themes of my poems, or criticize me it is not in vain. I will listen, learn and be thankful.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Despite the difficulties your uncle had in life, and he had many, he had time for you. He was caring and thoughtful, and was interested in your welfare. How sad that he was not given the love and affection so deserved by children himself. Perhaps it was because of this, he was determined to do better himself. This is a nice tribute to him. He clearly remains in your thoughts even though you have lost contact. I enjoyed this short read. Thank you.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Life wasn't generous with him but he was still strong and selfless. Very nice and heart-touching !!!!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Aww, this is endearing as well as sorrowful. And yeah, I agree with Archia. I was not able to make out who were you talking about in the last few lines. Was it you, or was it Uncle Charlie. Other than that, this is a short and sweet story and I enjoyed reading it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is really sweet, your uncle must've been wonderful. My only issue with this was that it was a bit hard to follow at times, you mentioned a few different people and at points it wasn't clear who you were talking about. Apart from that though it's lovely to see this story about your uncle and how he was always there for you.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
4 Reviews
Added on March 2, 2017
Last Updated on May 23, 2017

Author

R.J Calzonetti (SinisterPotatoe)
R.J Calzonetti (SinisterPotatoe)

Burlington, Halton, Canada



About
Most of my poems can be differing lengths depending on the time you want to spend reading them. You can avoid reading anything brackets, or read it all. If you want an in-between, you can read only th.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5