Define being alive - PART 1

Define being alive - PART 1

A Poem by -Scribe in Style-
"

Just at 2am... when you're watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy and someone dies... So I start writing - absolutely no connection.

"

As you long as you have a pulse you're still alive. What defines being alive?


What defines being alive? Is it that the heart is beating and circulating blood to the organs of the body? That is what ultimately decides if you're alive.


Lay your head on his chest, do you feel the thumping? Can you match the rhythm with your own heart's throbbing? He's alive, he's alive. That's the chanting, being alive is all that needs defining.


What defines being alive? Is it that the lungs still inflate and deflate allowing the circulatory blood to be oxygenated and the carbon dioxide to be released? That is what ultimately decides if your breathing on your own allowing the heart to do its job. It's okay if you can't; if you're damaged; we'll put you on a ventilator. It will do the breathing for you. We got you. You're still alive.


He'll be fine, you just watch the monitor line. This pattern shows you can still call him mine. The wires and tubes are just temporary, you always he said he was rather lazy. 


What defines being alive? Is it the brain relaying information to the rest of your body allowing it to perform and function? This is what ultimately decides if you're worth anything at all. If you're brain dead that is the last straw. Your mind is switched off you're not worth it anymore. You're a waste on resources and taking up unnecessary space; lying in a coma is an utter disgrace. But check your pulse, just in case, it might be there, still taking part in the race.


He can hear you speak, and see your face, He's still here if you want to make your case. But he won't react, so don't get up from your seat, it's like leaving a message for someone on a holiday retreat.


What defines being alive? Is it that the organs are in order, healthy and functioning? That is what ultimately decides if you're living because your systems are still working. Unless they begin to shutdown; terrifying; without a sound, one by one in their line they turn and say goodbye. Even then we'll say we got you. We have a little hope. Hold out your arm let me feel your pulse. Still going strong don't you worry, where are you going in such a hurry?


He’s getting his nutrition through the drip we've attached. It will keep his fluids up and keep his energy intact. He can't do much on his own anymore but this will keep him going until he is on his feet once more.


What defines being alive? Is it the sensory neuron's transfer of signals or the spinal cord's connections to the movement of all bones? That is what ultimately decides if you're feeling or not, regulating temperatures cold and hot. And whether the body can operate, punching its arms and kicking its legs, standing and sitting up straight. But if not while you decide to donate, you can still sit next to him contemplating fate. Firmly hold his hand, there is no need for you to stand. Press your fingers against his wrist, yes, that is his pulse still going, place a kiss. We'll care for him till the very end, he is still here, his life will do our best to defend, get some rest is what the doctor recommends.


His senses don't work, there is no giving him comfort now. We've done everything we can that we know how; to soothe the pain and ease the passing, we'll sedate him so that he goes feeling absolutely nothing.

But if the heart is beating and the pulse is going... alive!


Torture. Treacherous. Tyranny! Keeping me alive for your own well-being. Just because I have a pulse, you play the medics into satisfying your thirst. Let me be, let me go, let me live where I am whole.


I'm dying! I'm dying. I can't breathe. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I can't move. I can't feel. But I have a pulse and I am alive.

© 2017 -Scribe in Style-


Author's Note

-Scribe in Style-
The physical...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This piece makes me think of the controversial issue of euthanasia... Thought provoking.

Posted 4 Years Ago


I enjoyed this poem. You took the reader on a journey and you asked questions.
"Torture. Treacherous. Tyranny! Keeping me alive for your own well-being. Just because I have a pulse, you play the medics into satisfying your thirst. Let me be, let me go, let me live where I am whole. "
The above solid and you left the reader with something to think about. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Its beautiful, the tragedy that comes from two ideals. Love what you wrote.

Posted 6 Years Ago


-Scribe in Style-

6 Years Ago

Thank you.. appreciate you taking the time.
Unspokenpain - a kind of art :)
unspokenpain

6 Years Ago

Your very welcome ^.^

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2017
Last Updated on May 12, 2017

Author

-Scribe in Style-
-Scribe in Style-

About
Queen of my Mind: My actions and my measure Princess of my Heart: What I write with pen and paper Not for Beauty, Not for Treasure, Just for an awed Idea These pages will paint you my pictu.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Statue The Statue

A Poem by ewest1220