ADDICTION

ADDICTION

A Poem by Ani Ashford
"

There have been a few people who have misunderstood my use of the word 'Addiction' in the title, insisting that I change it. It would change the meaning for me.

"

Is there an antidote
to this intoxication?

Addiction...
Drums pound within me
vibrating the strings
of my soul.
Addiction...
Sweet, golden mead,
honey scented
through my nostrils,
fire-flamed, speads
through my veins.
Addiction ...
Is there no antidote?
Is there no antidote
for this intoxication?
Feel the vibrations
of the harp strings...
How your thoughts and spirit
spin rainbow threads,
of history and Lore.
Of history and Lore...
Sweet, golden mead,
fiery-tongued softness spreads
within me. Runes blinking
in and out, in and out,
of the coils of eternity,
to each given a
unique meaning.
Addiction...
The drums pound within me
vibrating the strings of my soul.
Sticks and stones,
cannot speak for my bones
in Hel's dark realm.
Is there an antidote
for this addiction?
Is there an antidote
for this intoxication?

AMAT January 8, 2008
January 9, 2008 draft 2

© 2009 Ani Ashford


Author's Note

Ani Ashford
Addiction-is not a drug addiction; emotional ties to someone or some action or some thing can be just as addicting creating a dependency.
2. Hel is not Hell as in Heaven or Hell. Hel or Hella is the guardian of the Nordic 'underworld' /place of the dead in Viking Lore. The photo is of a sculpture of Freyja I created for a friend.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ahh, as if by premonition, one year to the day of writing this, I am speaking to my 'addiction'. Someone who truly shares his heart and spirit with mine.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Do you want an anti-dote is the real question? Oh to feel the beauty of such things...to allow all senses to lavish in the mystical unseen. Drawn by the beauty of the undercurrant of the consistant drum beat...the lure of the strings--oh to drown in such majick!!! What an alluring write. Intoxicating indeed! Thank you.
~Lorraiyne

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anita, this is evocative and powerful. I love your use of metaphor, particularly the 'mead'. I also love the 'vibrating the strings of my soul'. Just one spelling mistake I noticed if you'll permit me 'in Hel's dark realm' - I hope you don't mind me pointing this out.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am spell bound! I am looking for an anti dote to this addiction as well! You voice the cries of my soul.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Terrific writing .........

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The poem is well written and enjoyable, I like it. I'm glad you didn't change parts that would change the meaning to you. It is your poem and it is important not to be swayed to make changes that alter 'your poetic voice." That is my opinion anyway. Lovely writing!

... and thank you for the lovely review of "Complacent Woman."

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 1, 2008
Last Updated on September 9, 2009

Author

Ani Ashford
Ani Ashford

Blaine, WA



About
In 2015 I became a widow,, trying to survive.. I sold the house in Seattle, and bought 5 acres near the Canadian border. We call it Rowan Hill Sanctuary. I am a trained artist. My art work has been m.. more..

Writing
BLUE BLUE

A Poem by Ani Ashford