The Black Cat and the Guinea Pig

The Black Cat and the Guinea Pig

A Story by SweetNutmeg
"

This little snippet came from a writing exercise.

"

***





The lead character finds the love interest in a compromising situation!

 

A collaborative project with a quirky veterinarian leads to something more.

 

It's revealed that a major character is pregnant!

 

 

 

“Hello?” I knocked on the glass more loudly, hoping someone within would hear me. Damn, no receptionist. Fred was languishing apace in his cage. I could buy a new guinea pig if this one died, but how to get matching spots? How do you explain death to a classroom of five year olds?

 

Tired of knocking and waiting, I tried the door to the inner examination rooms. I smelled dog faintly, but mainly that sterile smell you get in hospitals. But I could hear the dogs. Fred cowered deeper into his wood chips.

 

“Hello?” I called again. A shape shot past my feet, a black blur, and it was followed by an out of breath man in a lab coat. He dashed straight at me. I put up Fred’s cage to ward off a collision, but he managed to hook around me into the nearest exam room and slam the door behind him.

 

What on earth?  I heard knocking sounds, combined oddly with cooing. The banging stopped, which made the cooing sound louder. The man emerged with a black cat wrapped in what would be a straight jacket on a human, but probably had some euphemistic term in the veterinarian world. The man was a good looking man now that I saw him standing still rather than running about. His face was flushed from his athletic exertions, but I thought his face would be rosy in any circumstance. He was that kind of blonde. A curly strawberry blonde, in fact. His blue eyes looked like nothing I had seen before in real life, like the depths of an ice cavern in the Antarctic, or the blue of some exotic fish in a coral reef. Our eyes met and then we both looked away. It was a glance that ambushed me with a crackling sexual energy I had not felt in a long, long time.

 

The black cat started purring loudly. I gladly looked down on it, to distract myself from the feelings bubbling to the surface. Transferring the cat to the crook of his left arm, the man offered his hand.

 

“Dr. Givings.”

 

I took his hand hesitantly and felt the jolt of attraction again.

 

“I’m Clara Mindler. I called about the guinea pig?”

 

“Yes, yes, of course. I’m so sorry there was no one to greet you. Our receptionist came down with the flu. Let me put this fellow back in his enclosure and I’ll be right with you. You can go in room four.”

 

I placed Fred’s cage on the examining table and took a seat. There was a detailed medical illustration of  the flea life cycle that I looked away from quickly.

 

In a moment Dr. Givings was back, looking less tousled and harassed.

 

“Let’s see, what have we got here? What are the symptoms?

 

“Well, Fred hasn’t been eating all we give him any more and hasn’t been on the exercise wheel in the last day or so. He seems to be pining, in general.”

 

Dr. Givings gently removed Fred from his cage and placed him on the table, then began palpating him.

 

“Well, Ms. Mindler, I think Fred needs a new name, as he is pregnant.” 

© 2015 SweetNutmeg


Author's Note

SweetNutmeg
http://www.springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/plotpunter_romance.htm

This is where I got my writing prompt.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Didn't see that one coming. Would make a good entry for 'Short and Twisted' at Celapene Press (they look for short stories with a twist for their anthology). Well written, lively dialogue, action, paced well. Interesting events, funny ending. Good work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)



Reviews

The Three directions and the story just add up but not after you have read it again. A really well written piece, i am new into writing but i certainly feel the way you have kept a check on the reader's attention

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and commenting. You may be new to writing, but your comments can be very valu.. read more
Very nicely penned. I enjoyed how the words scratch out at you,

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

7 Years Ago

I am so sorry I missed this review you wrote so long ago. I don't know how that happened. Please acc.. read more
ROBIN-RAMBLES-ON

7 Years Ago

That's alright have a nice day
Dashed through it, came to the finish.. looked for more, then, laughed, reallsing that was it. Started to think visuals in my mind, then, reread.... now smiling

Your words flow naturally as if speaking face to face - there are a few extra words but that's more natural than static formality. Tis a mix of fantasy, wit and the over=used word of the day - surrealism "

Thanks for sharing. Will read your longer posts another time. (Also have some prose here and there)


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

7 Years Ago

I don't know how I missed this. Thank you for reading and reviewing my little piece of fluff. I'm gl.. read more
Ha! That's a great ending. You paint some vivid images in describing the man's eyes--good imagination! Also, you do well in portraying the exciting, electric vibes set off by contact with certain people. A very good and entertaining little write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your praise. I'm glad you enjoyed my little piece.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AUU
So I'm guessing the top three bolded lines are your direction?

I have to say reading the directions again after I finished reading the story made me laugh.

My only criticism would be the cat seemed oddly silent. Maybe it's because this cat is simply the silent type, which is fine, but I would expect some growling or moaning of sorts.

But what a cliffhanger that is! I'm inclined to rate this lower (joke) because we never find out who impregnated Fred!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great story, really liked the ending. Will there be a sequel??

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

7 Years Ago

No, that's all there is! Thank you for your review. :)
A really sweet and fun read. I especially like the cat in the straight jacket. Too funny.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

8 Years Ago

Thanks, QuinTEssence. I'm glad you liked it. I read about an old school vet who was able to subdue e.. read more
fun little piece. just love the last sentence. and you write beautifully.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

8 Years Ago

Thanks Woody! I'm surprised how many people like this silly little piece I did from a random writing.. read more
This is a cute piece. I enjoyed reading it. Not sure that the bit about the strong sexual attraction fits in but that may just be me.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and commenting! The strong sexual attraction was there because I found the writin.. read more
Cute story! A fun little read! I definitely see your greater potential in even this little flash piece. You have a very casual yet poetic grace to your words. Great job!


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. It was a ton of fun writing it.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1343 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 26, 2015
Last Updated on January 26, 2015

Author

SweetNutmeg
SweetNutmeg

About
I am returning all reviews of "The Past Follows." I am sorry to say I don't do poetry. At all. As in, never. Not even for you. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry


Crossing Crossing

A Poem by Robin