The Past Follows, Chapter Two

The Past Follows, Chapter Two

A Chapter by SweetNutmeg
"

Another meeting

"

Chapter Two


Heidi knew something was up. The next day, the shop was open and it was almost as crowded as before, everyone coming in for the after Christmas sale. I was exuberantly cheerful but absent-minded, happily screwing up any number of things. My latest mistake (overcharging a mother of three for her Lego set) rectified, Heidi cornered me.


"Who is he?"


"Who is what?"


"Who," she asked with relish, "is the man who made you so happy?"


"Umm..." How to explain James? "Well, he gave me a poinsettia. I couldn't say 'No' to a drink, could I?"


Heidi gave me a smirk and returned her attention to the cash register. 

 

Why had this man affected me like this? James was nothing like my previous boyfriends. I preferred confident, sophisticated men. Men who didn't poke women in the butt with kites and bungle simple requests for help finding a toy.


But Justin was my "type" and look where that got me. Maybe it was time for a change.




***


Scurrying across the freezing parking lot after work, my phone chimed. A text from James. I hopped in the car, cranked up the heater and opened the text. 


I had a really good time. Would you care for a repeat?


The idea was appealing. 


I'd like that


We arranged to meet at a tea shop downtown, Wednesday night. I turned on my favorite playlist and sang along as I glided into traffic. I seemed to be in harmony with the universe, as I hit every green light home. I hadn't felt this good in a long time.  




***

I'd never been to Silk Road Tea. I figured, tea shop, that sounds nice and neutral, a good place to start. Well, it was beautiful, but hardly neutral. Brocaded Indian hangings created sheltered nooks for each table, bringing to mind palanquins and desert oases. 


As I looked about, a server approached me, a poised, elegant woman. She led me to the table where James scrambled to his feet to greet me. He handed me into our nook and took his place opposite me. The tiny table had a candle encased in a filigreed lantern.


The lovely woman waiting on us provided luxuriously bound menus... books really. Each page described a tea in detail: history, flavor, origin, medicinal values, traditional tales and beliefs.


“I didn’t know so much could be said about tea,” I said, when the server retreated. 


We finally settled on a tea for two. It came in a curiously shallow, open pot. What looked like chunks of leaves expanded and opened into lovely flower shapes when we poured the hot water over them. James poured a cup of tea for both of us. 


I took a cautious sip. "It tastes like roses." I inhaled the delicate aroma. 


“I wish I could see a tea plantation, in person. The pictures look beautiful,” James said.


“You’d like to visit India?”


“Oh yeah, I’d love to. But I want to go everywhere. India, Thailand. And all those medieval ruins in Europe would be great. I’m hoping to go to Scotland, to do some research for my master’s thesis, and poke around to fill out our family’s  genealogy. I might be able to stop off in a few places while I’m there. Paris and London.”


“That sounds like it would be quite a trip. I’ve always wanted to go to Paris. The women  look so stylish.”


“I’d go just for the food,” James added.


We talked more about all the interesting places in the world we fantasized about visiting. It was a hazy dream for me, but James sounded like he had definite plans, for Scotland at least.


“If this scholarship comes through, I would go during the next school year.”


Once again, I was surprised by how quickly time passed as we enjoyed each other’s company. I had work the next day, so at 9 it was time to go.  


I'd never been on such a romantic date. The best fine dining in town, yes, but this beat out all the elegant dinners I'd ever had. All those sophisticated boyfriends of mine had preened and used me as some kind of accessory to impress others, and left me feeling like an object. James was entirely focused on being there with me, oblivious to everyone else. That was far more flattering than any fancy dinner. 


James offered me a ride home as my car was in the shop. We headed for his car. I was starting to feel nervous. Is nervous the right word? I felt giddy and had butterflies in my stomach. 


James parked in front of my building. Then I looked up and was annoyed. The porch light was out again. The damn thing was out half the time, some kind of wiring problem, but it was dark up there. I kept a mini Maglight in my car, but obviously without my car I didn't have it now.


"James, do you have a flashlight? The porch light is out."


He leaned over to rummage in the glove compartment, and came up with a circular LED light that looked sort of like a spaceship.


"I'll walk you up," he offered.


His spaceship light was very bright. The building was perched on the top of a steep hill and it was a bit of a climb up to the porch, but we made our way easily with his light. At the top, he shined the light on the door as I unlocked it. Door opened, I turned to him. My butterflies had returned.


"We don't need this anymore," I said. I clicked the light off.


Then our kiss just happened, all by itself. It was a soft kiss, no hardness or rushing on his part. I leaned in slowly, went from the caress of lips to the light brushing of tongues, my hands on his shoulders, his arms around my waist. We lingered, tasting and touching, a gentle exchange of tongues.


If I had to choose one word for that kiss, it would be respectful. Which doesn't sound sexy, but I was accustomed to Justin, who assumed sex would happen and his kisses were all pushy preludes to what he considered was the main act. James expected nothing and gave me no more than I asked for, waited for me. In my experience, that was far more sexy than aggressive tongue dueling.


Then I heard my neighbor coming down the stairs. She brushed past us, full garbage bag in hand. James looked at me and I was swallowed up by the blue eyes that had drawn me in from the very beginning. He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, just by my ear.


"Can I call you again?"


Oh boy, after that kiss, he could call me every day and it wouldn't be too much for me.



  ***




Checking my email at home, I quickly sobered. 


Karen,


I hate to do this to you, but we're selling the building. The new owner won't be renting out the apartments, and I'm afraid you'll have to find a new place to live. If I can help you in any way, let me know. I will return your deposit as soon as possible, so you can apply it to your next apartment. The sale will go through on February 1st, so you'll have about a month to look for a new place.


Yours,

Judith


This was a serious blow. Judith and her husband based the rent on the cost of their mortgage, not on the local market price for one bedroom apartments. I'd be hard pressed to find a comparably priced place. This apartment was one of the reasons I was able to leave Justin so promptly. Heidi knew Judith, and the apartment was vacated while I was going through the whole Justin thing. But now I'd have to find a new apartment on my own. 


It took me  a while to get to sleep.



© 2023 SweetNutmeg


Author's Note

SweetNutmeg
Thank you for reading this far. I welcome all feedback, positive or critical. All reviews are deeply appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Awww no :( Damn that ending really hit me.

A shorter chapter, but still I enjoyed it greatly. As I said in my review of the previous chapter, I'm really digging these two and their interplay. THere's something you don't see a lot of, just two characters who are enjoying each other's company without any needless drama. This is definitely my own experiences talking but I feel like writers think couples need to have contrived drama when it's unnecessary. This story is connecting me with because you don't force in things, the conflicts and issues feel natural.

The tea date was very nice and sweet, as was your description of James' kiss. As a man, I think respect is super sexy as well. And the fact that James is a decent person is what makes him desirable, at least to me.

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

5 Months Ago

I'm so glad you enjoyed this chapter. I think James and Karen are pretty low on the drama scale. It .. read more



Reviews

Awww no :( Damn that ending really hit me.

A shorter chapter, but still I enjoyed it greatly. As I said in my review of the previous chapter, I'm really digging these two and their interplay. THere's something you don't see a lot of, just two characters who are enjoying each other's company without any needless drama. This is definitely my own experiences talking but I feel like writers think couples need to have contrived drama when it's unnecessary. This story is connecting me with because you don't force in things, the conflicts and issues feel natural.

The tea date was very nice and sweet, as was your description of James' kiss. As a man, I think respect is super sexy as well. And the fact that James is a decent person is what makes him desirable, at least to me.

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

5 Months Ago

I'm so glad you enjoyed this chapter. I think James and Karen are pretty low on the drama scale. It .. read more
Gahh.. This chapter is a rollercoaster!

The date at Silk Road Tea was so dreamy – from the vivid details of the tea to their deep conversations. The way you described the setting felt so immersive; I could practically smell the tea.

And then.. that email at the end? Oof! Talk about an emotional U-turn! Just as things are looking up for Karen, she's hit with this real-life obstacle. It's super relatable, and I'm now even more hooked.

Can't wait to see how she handles this curveball.

Posted 7 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

7 Months Ago

You're so kind for following through all I have posted so far. I'm glad you felt it was dreamy, that.. read more
Boy, I'll tell ya--this romance is like a snowball rolling downhill. Nothing can stop it, it seems... but then the loss of the apartment might be an obstacle....or an opportunity? I love seeing romance evolve through the eyes of a woman.
In the interest of word economy, you might consider changing "mother of three" to "customer".
"...I figured, tea shop, that sounds nice..." I recommend you put "tea shop" in italics.
"As I looked about, a server approached me, a poised, elegant woman. She led me to the table where James scrambled to his feet to greet me. He handed me into our nook and took his place opposite me." --In this section, the number of times you say "me" stands out. Perhaps you could eliminate a couple of them.
Nice work, my friend.


Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

9 Months Ago

I'm so pleased you are interested in this romance! We'll see what happens with the apartment problem.. read more
Another good chapter. However, I'm not a fan of "When I met you, I knew we had to come here together.” Personally, I think it come across as a little creepy. But maybe that's just me.


Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SweetNutmeg

10 Months Ago

Thank you for reading and responding! I agree that is a bit creepy now that I look a bit more object.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 1, 2023
Last Updated on July 7, 2023


Author

SweetNutmeg
SweetNutmeg

About
I am returning all reviews of "The Past Follows." I am sorry to say I don't do poetry. At all. As in, never. Not even for you. more..

Writing