Kamikaze Romance

Kamikaze Romance

A Poem by Alvin L. Kathembe

 

It’s a kamikaze romance

With our hearts strapped in the seats

And we wage a war called Love

And we’ll not concede defeat

Even if it means flying

In the face of certain doom

We both know the end is coming,

And the end is coming soon…

 

It’s a kamikaze romance

How sweet the flight, though, while it lasts

Hurtling through the air

Watching heart-shaped clouds zooming past…

Let’s try, love, not to think

Of how this must come to an end

We know it will not last forever

But at least we can pretend…

 

It’s a kamikaze romance

And when our course starts turning downwards

All the memories of what we had

Will forever be ours

When comes the end; with tears,

With a scream, and with a screech,

Perhaps they’ll find pieces of our broken hearts

 Strewn across some glassy beach…

 

© 2011 Alvin L. Kathembe


Author's Note

Alvin L. Kathembe
what d'you think of the structure and rhyme?the theme?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Congrats for winning the depressing poems contest. It's a interesting poem. Worded cleverly and interestingly but it is a bit disjointed. That aside I like the emotions, thought and imagery within it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Alvin you never disappoint.I like the imagery and description that elucidate the title.HARSH.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is absolutely one of my favourite poems! The sentiment is just too gripping, the concept is unique...perfection! This is the poem that inspired me to write poetry...thanks man!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think the rhyming scheme you used was interesting, but where rhyms should have been there wasn't always a good rhyme and the ones you did use were fairly obvious, and un creative. I did like the theme a lot. I do, however, agree with Disesh. The poem does't flow as well as it can. "How sweet the flight, though, while it lasts" this line in particular broke up the flow for me. The word though is unneeded, and having it there does no favours. Same with "Let’s try, love, not to think". I think using words that require you to break up your sentences with commas doesn't work. It inturupts the flow, because you naturally pause for the commas.

I think the first stanza is without a doubt the best one, because it flows the best. I think if you had kept that form for the other two, it would be an excelent poem.

I'm no expert in poetry, but I think you need to make the amount of syllables in each sentence closer to the same number, or follow a pattern with the number of syllables. It generally give a poem more structure and it is likely to flow much better.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good. Good. The theme and the refrain were the best parts. But frankly speaking, the rhythm is broken. Well, it could be broken in some places, which is negligible. But in this, I can even see (save feel) that meter is not even. Still, the concept is good, and I can half-heatedly give it up for the word usage too.

Keep writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

353 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 5, 2011
Last Updated on January 5, 2011

Author

Alvin L. Kathembe
Alvin L. Kathembe

Nairobi, Kenya



About
I write for the mind...and if I touch your heart while I'm at it, I'll take it. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..