A Conversation.

A Conversation.

A Story by Hicks
"

A short story that, I hope to expand upon later on.

"

A Conversation

By: Lucas Hicks

 

It was a somber day, nothing spectacular appearing. It was the day my knack existential questioning was not only silence but, somehow fired, fired like a match and, a firework. The day was cloudy, signs of the rain that was too pellet the earth was everywhere. I was sitting on a park bench in some park, simply writing and taking in the breeze of the day. I had been in New York City for a few weeks, in a attempt to find work in the financial trade while, I crafted my words. (But, to no avail I might add, most sadly.) Soon, I would have to return down south to stay with my mother if I couldn’t get myself afloat. Two-three weeks tops, maybe a month. I hadn’t quite gotten used to the hustle of city life but, I couldn’t say I minded it. 

Though, times like these, in the open, air brushing across my face as I gathered my thoughts, they were almost priceless, like a royal jewel or, knowledge of any kind. That day, that one somber day, as I said, my life changed. Deep into the thought I spoke of, a stranger came towards me, a woman of prestige, a woman whose looks were almost flawless, glistening red hair, eyes sharp and, green-orange, almost like that of a dying leaf found on the ground under a tree on a day in the middle of autumn. Her dress was casual, White T-shirt and, blue jeans but, somehow she captivated me in ways I have never imagined before. “How do you do Miss?” I flustered as casually I could as she sat on the bench next to me. “I am well, how about you Sir?” She asked with a effortless flow of eloquence in her tongue. “I am fine I suppose. Got it as hard as some men, as easy as others, it all depends.” I exclaimed sadly as the thought of my life sinking under again, the thought of returning home a failure. 

I had barely noticed I was speaking to a complete stranger as these words had rolled from my lips without a moment’s hesitance. “Excuse m-“I was cut off midsentence. “No, don’t fret. It is all fine. I understand life carries everyone differently; it is subjective, maybe even meaningless?” I was confused by these words. Here, a complete stranger, full of vigor and beauty, was muttering what I have been thinking for the duration of my life? It was unexpected to say the least but, not so surprising that I could doubt it. Strangely enough, on that day, by the roll of that speech, all defenses dropped.  I no longer cared if it were a stranger, more so I cared about the conversation, as if I needed to listen, as if I was compelled to stay in tune with the speech, when I could have just as easily said the common talk and, kept me peace, strange, maybe? “Subjective, Meaningless perhaps? Who knows? There is a infinite amount of possibilities. It is subjective only by the different view-points of those cognitive enough to view the world past instinct. I often wonder how this plays out elsewhere.” I released my ideas upon the poor women. I assumed she would try to evade the conversation like most that I know. (I live a lonely life if you couldn’t tell already.) 

“Interesting view-point, I would like to toss a question at you. Let’s say, God came up to you and asked you, if they should destroy their creation or not, how would you respond?” I was startled, such a vast question was released upon me like a peasant in Rome had beast released upon them in the coliseum. I took a breath and began, delving into the thick grey-matter rattling question. “How would a God truly know they are God? What if it was created and, they didn’t know their answer? What if there was more of it? What If such a being doesn’t exist at all? What if it is able to be achieved? Also, why would the being want an opinion from a microscopic being such as me? What about all the other beings in the universe, given that there may be other beings? I guess, this has been a digression on the question of the scenario. Should the being destroy its creation? Not factoring in the idea of multiple creations and, beings, I would say no, even though it wouldn’t matter. If the being has the ability to create, it also has the ability to destroy, and if it is ‘God’ like most humans know it then, it would see the outcome of the conversation. The being would also be able to destroy, recreate and, destroy a infinite amount of times over if it did have such radiant powers. Nothing would know the difference or care, it would be pointless to care about this subjective reality unless, the being itself didn’t wish to destroy such things, my end conclusion, as a being who wishes to be unharmed (If you can even call it that.) I say no but, it is the beings subjective idea of reality and, they happen to have more cards than I do.” I finished the mouth-full of cognitively-stabbing ideas and, looked to my left to see the woman, expecting a look of distaste on her face but, the most shocking thing happened, The woman was nonexistent, as if I had been speaking to a fictional entity the entire time, I was confused but, was instantly given the inspiration to weave the words I do now. My success as you could call it, the day carried on and, we reach now, looking back upon that day, maybe it wasn’t as somber as I thought it was?  

© 2014 Hicks


Author's Note

Hicks
My first attempt of a story for this website, I would like criticism of my grammar, dialogue, everything essentially.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on June 11, 2014
Last Updated on June 12, 2014
Tags: Science, Wonder, Story, Fiction, Religion, What, If, Mythology, short, expansion, a, conversation

Author

Hicks
Hicks

About
My Interests: Literature related: H.P Lovecraft Stephen King Dante A. My generic interests: Debates ( Politics, Religion, Literature, science, essentially everything. Though, I do know when .. more..

Writing
Flesh. (WIP) Flesh. (WIP)

A Story by Hicks


Power Power

A Story by Hicks