My Own Enchanted Home

My Own Enchanted Home

A Story by Lydia

There is a place deep in the forest that I call my own. A place that no one else knows about except for me. It's a place where I can escape from everything that is my harsh reality. Schoolwork that I don't understand, people who call me ugly names, my father who just hasn't been the same since she has been gone, and all the memories of my mother that are packed inside that house. I pass over a few fallen tree limbs as I walk. There was a tornado a few years ago, and no one seemed to even give the idea of cleaning up around here a second thought. I cleaned up around my 'special spot', but that is about it. I couldn't do it all on my own, and I wouldn't even think about bringing anyone else out here.
I arrive at the little clearing that has become so familiar to me. There is a small pond that has a few fish in it, and a large Weeping Willow tree that sits right beside it. When I was little I always said I wanted one of those trees in my backyard, and that I would put a bench underneath it and read. I have that now, except I don't have to share it with anyone. I sit down beside the pond, and dip my bare feet into it. The water is cool, and refreshing. I peer over into the water, and find my ripply reflection staring back at me. My eyes don't have the twinkle in them that they used to. My stringy, blonde hair falls in front of my eyes, reminding me that I need to get a haircut. She used to always complain about my hair being in my face, and I would hang my head low, scowling at her from behind my locks.
I close my eyes, and take a deep breath, breathing in the crisp, morning air. Sometimes I can't believe she has only been gone for a year. It seems like so long since I saw her smile. Such a long time since I heard her voice. If only I could just hear her bubbly laugh one more time then I think I would be satisfied. Maybe my dad would, too. Maybe he could move on, and be the father that he used to be. The one who played softball with me in the front yard, and took me to get ice cream on those hot summer days.
I open my eyes again, and stand up. Grass sticks to my wet feet as I walk. Maybe if I told my dad about this place then we could come here together. Maybe it would help him just like it helps me. We could talk about how we feel, and those conversations would stay here, floating in place. We wouldn't have to bring them home. I want to talk about mom so bad. Even though he never took her pictures down and he left all her stuff exactly where it was, he still refuses to talk about her. Maybe I can help him speak whats on his mind by bringing him here. It goes against everything I said about this place, but sometimes people have to make sacrifices for the people they love. I think thats what I'll do. It's worth a try, right?

© 2012 Lydia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Love this. The first paragraph is really long. I wonder what would happen if you broke it up. The length of it seems to feed the stream of conscious feel, but breaking it up might introduce pauses within thought that often happen while hiking. just a thought.

I appreciate the experience of being out in the quiet of the solitary outdoors. There are few places that capture this amount of open thought where all you have to do is soak in nature and listen to your mind vent. I also love how once she reaches her spot she starts to deal with her grief, as if she had been holding it in until she reached her safe place, which was very artfully done, I must say. The implication that since she feels safe and open there that maybe her father would too, was powerful. It reveals her true hearts intent of love towards her father.

A powerful, heartfelt, and deep piece. Very peaceful and contemplative. I believe we all need such a place in our lives to be mentally healthy. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Everyone seems to have said everything this piece made me think, but I guess I'll say it again. You have such a way of describing the emotions in this piece that it feels like something maybe you experienced yourself, and if not, then you are just a very talented writer, which seems just as plausible. I like how after she releases her emotions she begins to think about her father and how it might help him. And it show true selflessness in love, that she'd sacrifice the isolation of her special place to help him

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sad, but beautifully written. This is very descriptive and flows well, well done yet again :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Love this. The first paragraph is really long. I wonder what would happen if you broke it up. The length of it seems to feed the stream of conscious feel, but breaking it up might introduce pauses within thought that often happen while hiking. just a thought.

I appreciate the experience of being out in the quiet of the solitary outdoors. There are few places that capture this amount of open thought where all you have to do is soak in nature and listen to your mind vent. I also love how once she reaches her spot she starts to deal with her grief, as if she had been holding it in until she reached her safe place, which was very artfully done, I must say. The implication that since she feels safe and open there that maybe her father would too, was powerful. It reveals her true hearts intent of love towards her father.

A powerful, heartfelt, and deep piece. Very peaceful and contemplative. I believe we all need such a place in our lives to be mentally healthy. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Right!.
Reminds a lot 'bout a movie i watched(just similar scenes but a whole lot different plot).Nice and outstanding.Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aw, just beautiful, so thought provoking, i have to ask, was this based on anything in your life? The emotion is just so real, i thoroughly enjoyed this, wonderfully crafted and executed, the glimmer of hope at the end all the greater. Just, amazing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautifully written. It's heartbreaking when someone you love dies. It really is hard to move on. Really great job!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

359 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 18, 2012
Last Updated on May 18, 2012

Author

Lydia
Lydia

Enchanting Wonderland of Fantasies, AL



About
Hello, people of Writerscafe.org! Here are some random questions to get to know me better: 1. What's your favorite candle scent? Anything that has some kind of baked good in the name. 2. What f.. more..

Writing
Over Again Over Again

A Book by Lydia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pure Pure

A Story by Dawn D