Herman the Troll

Herman the Troll

A Chapter by TinaSummer

Troll Village

The trio ran out of the door, into the bright day. “Are they gone?” soo-young asked, catching her breath. Violet looked back. “I think so.” She said. “Where are we now?” Kyong-wook asked.  Violet pulled out the map and looked around the woods. She frowned and put the map away. “I don’t know.” She said. “What do you mean, you don’t know?” Kyoung-wook asked. “I don’t know!” she screamed. “So we’re lost. Great.”


 Soo-young threw her bag on the ground and sat on a rock. “What do we do now?” She asked. “Well, I guess we could-” A shuffle from the bushes alerted the trio. “What was that?” Kyong-wook asked. Violet “shh’d” him. She walked towards the bush and pushed the leaves apart. “Ahh!” She screamed.


“What’s wrong?” Kyoung-wook asked, as he and soo-young ran towards her. “Hello.” A voice behind the bush said. Kyong-wook and soo-young turned towards the bush and screamed. “A troll!” Soo-young screamed. The troll came from behind the bush. “Hello.” He said. The three backed away from him. “No, no I won’t hurt you.” He said. “My name is Herman. I’m a good troll.” Herman said.


The three looked at each other before stepping closer to Herman. “I’m violet and this is soo-young and kyoung-wook.” Herman shook her hand. “What brings you to the troll village?” He asked. “We’re looking for something, but we got lost.” Soo-young said. “Well I think I can help you. Where were you headed?” Herman asked. 

Violet pulled out the map. “We were going west. We’re supposed to be in the cloud kingdom, but we took a wrong turn.” She said. “We?” Kyoung-wook asked. “I took a wrong turn.” Violet corrected herself, glaring at kyoung-wook. “Anyway, do you think you could help us?” Herman smiled. “Of course.  The cloud kingdom should be a few miles south.” Herman said. Herman started walking and the three followed. 


“I have a question.” Herman said. “Ask away.” Violet said. “Why were you guys scared of me?” he asked. “Trolls and scarlets have had a rough history. We are supposed to be enemies.” Herman turned to violet. “You’re a scarlet? Cool! I’ve never met one.” He said. “But why were they scared of me?” He asked.

“Moonlighters and trolls never got along. We always fought then after the war between us, we were split up, into two separate sides.” Soo-young explained. “And sunlighters were used to lure trolls to the woods, which is now called the troll kingdom; where we trapped you guys.” Kyoung-wook explained.


“Oh.” Herman said. “How did you not here anything about us?” Violet asked. “I’ve heard about scarlets. They don’t teach us about our history, and we’re not allowed to talk about it.” Herman said. “How old are you?” Kyoung-wook asked. “I’m 12.” He said. “What are you doing out here all by yourself?” Soo-young asked. “I’m an orphan. I live in these woods.” He said.


The trio looked at each other. “Herman have you told anyone?” Herman shook his head. “Why not?” Herman scoffed. “Orphans are looked down on, they say we’re not real kids.”  Herman said. “Herman.” Soo-young stopped and turned to Herman. “You are a real kid. Those kids are just idiots. How about this? You join us on our journey.” Soo-young proposed. “Really?” Herman asked. Soo-young nodded. “Thank you!” Herman said.  The four continued to walk. “So, what do we need from the Cloud kingdom?” Kyoung-wook asked. “We need to find someone named Henry.” Violet said. “Why?” “I don’t know.” She said.


                The cloud kingdom came into view. “So do we just ask for Henry?” Kyoung-wook asked. “I guess.” Soo-young said. Herman knocked on the door to the castle. A short man opened and stepped out. “Can I help you?” He asked. “I’m Herman and these are my friends; violet, kyoung-wook, and soo-young. We’re looking for someone named Henry.” Herman said.


The man glared at the four. “Why do you need to talk to Henry?” he asked. “We think he may know something about my mother.” Violet said. “Who’s your mother?” The man asked. “Kim Eunji.” Violet said. The door shut and whispers were exchanged. The door reopened. “Henry would like to see you.” He said.


They entered the palace. “Henry is in the library.” The man said. The doors to the library opened and the four awed in amazement. “This place is huge.” Soo-young said. “Thank you.” A voice said from the stairway. “I’m guessing you’re Henry.” Violet said. “Correct you are little lady.” Henry said.


“What are you doing here?” Henry asked. “We’re looking for my mother.” Violet said. “Ah, Eunji.” Henry said. “We were friends.” Henry said. “You knew my mother?” Violet asked. Henry turned to violet. “You’re violet aren’t you?” Henry asked. “Yes.” She said. “Your mother came to me, when you were born. She wanted me to give you something if she ever got caught.” Henry said.


“What is it?” She asked. Henry unlocked a small box that sat on a table. “It’s a key. I don’t know what it’s for, but she said to use it for something your heart desires.” Henry said. He handed the box to violet. “Thank you.” She said.


A loud thump alerted the three. “Kyoung-wook!” Soo-young exclaimed. Kyoung-wook lied pale on the floor. “Kyoung-wook. Wake up.” Soo-young said. Violet felt his forehead. “He’s cold.”  She said. “Is he dying?” Soo-young asked. “No, look at his wrist.”  Violet asked. Kyoung-wook’s wrist was glowing a bright silver color. “He’s completing his change.” Soo-young said.

         



© 2015 TinaSummer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on November 29, 2015
Last Updated on November 29, 2015