Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by TinaSummer

Chapter Two

Scarlet’s breath hitched as she jolted up out of bed. She scanned the room, looking for any sort of danger. She exhaled and go t out of bed. Her back was sweaty and sticky. She grumbled and went to get her bag.

She washed and changed her clothes. She picked up her bag and left the house. The sun shone bright in the morning sky. Scarlet munched on an apple. The leaves under her feet crumbled.

Behind her she could hear the footsteps of another person. She stopped in her tracks. “Who are you?” She asked.

The footsteps behind her halted.  She turned and bumped into a man. She took a couple steps back. She held up her hand. “I asked you a question, who are you?”

Without saying a word, the man in question held up his hands. He had brown eyes, a slim figure, and dark brown hair. Scarlet marched up to the man, her hand starting to glow. “For the last time, who are you?”

The man squirmed. “Enue, my name is Enue.”

Scarlet slowly put her hand down. “Why are you following me?”

“My brother and his troops saw you yesterday, he said you were a moonlighter. I wanted to confirm it.”

Scarlet scowled. “You’re a Sunlighter.” She spat. “Yes.” Enue said. “I am. But I’m not going to hurt you.” Scarlet snickered. “You couldn’t hurt me if you tried.”

“True.” Enue agreed. “Why are you out here?”

“I’m training.”

Enue looked at the bag on scarlets back. “Why do you have arrows, if you have powers?”

Scarlet rolled her eyes. “My powers don’t always work, you of all people should know that.”

“True.”

Scarlet sighed in annoyance. “What do you want?” She asked.

Enue took a step forward. “Nothing.”

“You’re lying.”

Enue smiled. “Honestly, I don’t want anything.” He paused. “But if you want to get out of here without another encounter, you should be leaving.”

Scarlet ran her hand through her hair. “Yeah. I should be going.” She turned away from Enue. “Thanks.” She said. Enue hid his smile. “You’re welcome.”

Enue wandered around the forest. The scent of blueberries and oak trees occupied his nostrils. The sweet, warm wind brushed across his face. He ran his hand through his flowing hair. The sound of water crashing against rocks calmed his nerves. His eyes roamed over the cliffs, where he stood. He raised his arms over his head and leaned forward. The sweet sound of birds chirping filled his ears. He looked down, 50 feet below was an inviting ocean.

He took a deep breath and sighed. The air around him, suddenly felt freezing. He smiled, bringing his hands down from his head and held them out in front of him. Cool air swept around his body. He balled up his hands. A chill ran down his back. The sky filled with clouds, from the clouds the ice fell.

Scarlet hiked through the rocky path.  The air was colder than it was hours ago The sky was a light white color and was filled with clouds. Her hair drifted in the wind, making her even colder.

She put out a jacket out of her bag and put it on. The sound of conversation got louder as she reentered the city. People moved swiftly in the streets. Her feet seemed to glide on the pebble ground.

The gates to the kingdom opened and she stepped in. Making her way up the stairs and into her bedroom. She groaned and flopped on her bed. The heat from her bed warmed her body. She took off her bag and made her way to her dresser. She pulled out a pair of black jeans, a striped shirt, and a towel. Locking the door behind her, she went to take a shower.

Enue sat on the of his windowsill. His eyes scanned over the town beneath him. The townspeople went about their day, not noticing the king. A cry came from behind him and he turned his head. The raven from last night sat on his right.

He held out his finger and let the bird latch onto him. The black feathers lay perfectly on the ravens back.

“Enue!”

The door swung open and a woman rushed in. “Ahra, what’s wrong?” Ahra pointed outside. “The kingdom has been attacked.”

Enue’s eyes widened. He looked out the window and sure enough, there was smoke in the distance. He bolted out of the room, without a second thought.  

The screams echoed throughout the city. Fire burned through the streets. People sprinted out of their houses. Enue watched from afar in horror. His heart pounded against his rib cage.

A shriek came from behind him. He watched as a body flew towards him, crashing into the tree next to him. He ran to the injured person. He placed his hand on her neck. There was no pulse. He moved her hair out of her face.

He fought back tears as he saw his mother, lying motionless on the ground. She was covered in blood. He placed his hand on her neck. There was no pulse. His hand dropped to his side.

A sob escaped his lips. He pulled his mother’s lifeless body into his lap and stroked her blood soaked hair.

Boom!

Another explosion illuminated in the sky and Enue fell back. His head hit the ground brutally.



© 2016 TinaSummer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on May 19, 2016
Last Updated on June 7, 2016