Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by TinaSummer

   

Chapter Three

Scarlet’s back hit the tree. She whimpered and slid down the tree. Two hands grabbed her by her arms. She was lifted off the ground and pulled inside. She was laid onto her bed and a wet towel was draped over her head.

The blood was wiped from her face. She groaned as she lifted her head. “Where’s my dad?” her voice was husky, but strong.

The room went silent. Scarlet looked around the room frantically. “where is her? Where is my dad?!” Her arms flailed in the air. “Scarlet! Scarlet calm down!”  A women dressed in white made her way over to the bed. Scarlet stopped flailing and turned to the women.

“Who are you?”

The women put a hand on scarlets shoulder. “My name is Dalina, I’m your father’s maiden.”

“Where’s my father?”

Dalina hesitated before saying, “He’s gone. He was taken.”

Scarlet's eyes widened. “Taken? By who?”

“We don’t know.”

Enue tugged at his hair. His mother was dead. Murdered right in front of him. The door opened, slightly. “Sir?” Enue turned, but stayed silent.

“The others are wondering what we’re going to do about this.” Enue lifted his head. “What do you mean?”

“Are you going to declare war?”

“Why would I do that?”

“It’s obvious that it was the moonlighters doing.”

Enue smacked his hands on the table. “Nonsense!” he spat. “The moonlighters are not in the position to fire on us.”

“Then who else could have done this?”

Enues eyes narrowed. “I don’t know. But when I find out,” He balled up his fist. “they’re going to die.”

Scarlet winced as she sat up. Dalina rushed to her side. “Are you alright?” Scarlet nodded. “What are you doing up?”  she asked.

“I need to find out who took my dad.”

“But you’re not well.”

“Doesn’t matter. I need to find him.” She pulled her satchel over her head, wincing slightly. “Where are you going?”

Scarlet sighed. “I don’t know.” She stuffed her bow and arrows into her bag. “I’ll be gone for a while; the kingdom is on lockdown until I get back. You’re in charge.”

Scarlet snuck out of the palace through the back. The darkness of the night wasn’t a bother to her. She treaded through the woods, making large struts across the mud covered ground.

The glow of the moon helped her find her way back to the burnt area. She could still smell the fire. The smoke made her eyes water and her throat itchy.

Treading across the scorched leaves, a twinkle caught her eye. She bent down and ran her hands through the dirt. Picking up the silver object, she wiped the dirt away. She squinted to get a better look, the object was round and hand engravings on the front.

Snap!

Scarlet jerked her head to the side. Stuffing the round object into her pocket; she stood and turned to the woods. A shadowy figure peeked from behind tree. Scarlet lifted her hand and blasted. The figure jumped and hurled to the ground.

“Calm down! I’m not here to hurt you.” The figure said. He came out of the woods with his hands up. “Seriously Scarlet.” Scarlet squinted. “Enue?”

Enue brushed the dirt off his pants. “What are you doing here?” she asked.

“Trying to find out who did this. What are you doing?”

“Looking for clues. She said. “did you find anything?”  she asked. Enue shook his head. “No, you?”

Scarlet pulled out the object and showed Enue. “It looks like a pendant.” Enue said. “Pendant?” he nodded. “The inscriptions look like Greek.”

Scarlet looked at the pendant closer. “You’re right. But that doesn’t explain why someone would do this?” She gestured to the forest.

A rustle in the bushes made Enue turn around. He glared at the tree filled forest. “Come on. “He whispered. He grabbed scarlets hand, pulling her along with him. Scarlet panted as Enue stopped running. He turned to her. “Are you ok?” he put his hand on her shoulder. Scarlet nodded. “Yeah, I’m fine. But why did we run?”

“I saw something. Someone was watching us.”

Scarlet furrowed her brows. “Why would someone be watching us?”

“because we may be getting close to finding out who did this.”

Scarlet nodded in agreement. “Well we can’t stop now. What should we do?”

“I think we should keep looking for answers. So I’ll go back to my kingdom and you just try to find out what you can about that pendant.” She nodded again and stuck the pendant in her bag.

In a dimly light room two men dressed in blue and red cloaks circled around a table.  He slammed his hands down on the table. “Why didn’t you stop them?!

The other man flinched. “I’m sorry sir, but I did not think they would find they pendant.”

“And what were you thinking?”

The blue man kept his head down. “I was not sir.”

“As always you failed your duties.” He sighed and rubbed his forehead. “I am giving you one more chance. Find the two and kill them.” The man in blue nodded and bowed. “I will not fail you, sir.”

“I should hope not.”



© 2016 TinaSummer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm going to continue reading this as I'm intrigued (moonlighters and sunlighters, how cute ^^), but as a suggestion, can you make it more clear about Scarlet's Enue's settings? It was confusing what was happening when you switched from what was happening to Scarlet and then to Enue and back and then they encounter once another. It felt like they were in the same room or something.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 4, 2016
Last Updated on June 7, 2016