On Sighting Sandy Row

On Sighting Sandy Row

A Poem by Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
"

For the first time in my life, I made it to Belfast last Saturday, and drove by this mural by accident. While explaining the conflict to my two Polish friends, this poem popped into my mind... Its written in the Standard Habbie format made famous by

"

On Sighting Sandy Row

 

For the first time in my life, I made it to Belfast last Saturday,
and drove by this mural by accident. While explaining the
conflict to my two Polish friends, this poem popped into my mind...

Its written in the Standard Habbie format made famous
by the Bard of Ayrshire, Rabbie Burns

 

So that is where they come from
Who play the fife and bang the drum
And boldly up the street they come...
Butchers apron in the wind flying
Being called "Orange B******s" and "Scum"
As to walk the Queens highway they are trying.

 

I saw a little... I saw all
A white backed mural on a gable wall
Not a pleasent area it I would call
That wouth give its youth some hope
And so they like their forefathers fall
Into hatred: shouting "F**k the Pope"

Maybe yet on a day to arrive
Though by then I probably wont be alive
If tolerance can grow and survive
Both Gael and Scot
Shall help this nation heal bond and thrive...
Though prehaps not.


 

This site is © Copyright Tomas O' Carthaigh 1999 -2008, All Rights Reserved.

© 2008 Tomás Ó Cárthaigh


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

written with immense sensitivity and compassion...
it is so easy to get drawn down... choosing sides... when something is so close to home it's difficult not to convey personal opinions or beliefs... to seperate your emotions... you've achieved this perfectly Tomas... I applaude your neutrality and lack of bias... beautifully written and expressed.
I also share your idealism... your vision but to be honest I also share your cynisim ~sad smile~

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Thank you for sharing this, Tomas!! I luckily didn't hit this part of town while visiting Belfast myself. But while travelling through Northern Ireland...where both parents trace their roots to....it was quite unnerving entering orange zones as I knew we would be considered enemies. As Americans...I guess we were under safe enough cover, though our English liscence plate was eyed up suspicously on more than one ocassion.

It's so sad that there must always be an enemy to fight. It's a glorious mural, though, at least they give a heads up as to the boundary....not that the green side doesn't already know the boundaries. Still...the wall is a little more scary than all the armed guards riding around in Derry! Or maybe just as scary.

Excellent poem here....very enjoyable read. Sad but very true. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter....why can't we all just live and let live??

Posted 15 Years Ago


incredible word imagery and real truth in this piece. Thank you for your recent review....of Eating poetry - I actually do write in ryhme. Or I did, exclusively until around 1986....but sometimes I still spit out something with end ryhmes....
This piece is resonant.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

written with immense sensitivity and compassion...
it is so easy to get drawn down... choosing sides... when something is so close to home it's difficult not to convey personal opinions or beliefs... to seperate your emotions... you've achieved this perfectly Tomas... I applaude your neutrality and lack of bias... beautifully written and expressed.
I also share your idealism... your vision but to be honest I also share your cynisim ~sad smile~

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, you are now. I loved that YOU ARE NOW.... I know about all the sectarian violence by the IRA, the Irish Republican Army, and loyalist paramilitary groups in Belfast what means "Mouth of the river", in early 1970'ties. This city suffered damage and population decline. I read your poem carefully, yes you expressesed everything it has to be said "That wouth give its youth some hope" -----what a line, I translate "wound" yes? the wound of the 70ties... I think, the most saddiest thing about all religions is that they incline to intolerance, for when one is sitting inside of the box, he just can't know: one has to be outside of it, fully free in his thoughts, without knowledge, to see and to have compassion.. Religions even so needed for humanities, they are a sea full of blood. Well done, this poem, also the presentation, I liked both.

Hello Tomas, my friend, it's good to see you around! Thanks also for your attention for my poem about SLOVAKIA....You shall visit, till they get Euro, then all will be too expensive like here. I like to see my 'old WC friends, they are my real friends, so just like you, without any selfishness'.... I also go around and see what my friends and others (who could be my friends) write. It is the best kind to review - when nobody asks you for it. Much love this way, Gandr�.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am not qualified to actually write a critical review...I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your poem and the adjoining photo. I look forward to reading more of your work.
jenny

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Word and form work well together.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

and the devil invented religion t turn paradise into Hell

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1117 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 13, 2008

Author

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh
Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Renmore, Galway, Ireland, An Roinne Mór, Gallaimh, Eire, Ireland



About
Ten years on this site... a quick decade, and an age in another way... Flanagan and the Lampost The Novena, some Drama and Midge Ure in Galway Fiddling at Longford Donkey Innovat.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..