Circus Freaks

Circus Freaks

A Story by

     In a small town, a circus rolls in, it's bright banners waving. The townspeople all stare as it rolls through the streets. That's what I've been told it always looks like. I never get to see it, though I do hear the faint cheers of some of the children from inside my dark box.
     I wish I had one of the ones with bars, so that I could see what the people look like before I enter the sawdust ring. I guess They're afraid that I'll try to escape from between the bars. That, or the fact that all the people will see the bindings They tie me up with. The ride is always worse if I've tried to escape in the last town. They always catch me just before I've gotten too far, and then I'm chained in my dark little boxcar. It'd be nice if They gave me a flashlight or something. All the expenses are spent on making the shows brighter, bigger, better. Nothing goes into making sure that we're comfortable. 'Talents', They call us.
     I hardly notice when my car stops moving. I'm so used to the circus train stopping and starting suddenly that the jolt doesn't even faze me anymore. The first few times, I was stunned in fright, my motion sickness trying to get the better of me.
     One of Them opens up the door on my car. I recognize his face -- it's the nicest of all of Them. He unlocks the padlocks on my chains and lets me stand before pulling me into the moonlight. I wince as my shoulder slams into the metal frame of the car. He says nothing; any of the other ones would have slapped me or hit me for being so weak. He shoves me into Their trailer, and closes the door. The Head of Them is sitting at his desk, glaring at me.
     "Sit," he commands. I stay standing. He grabs the bullwhip from off the wall, and I sit. He smiles wickedly. We both know he has control over me. "Tonight," he says, "there will be no mishaps. If we earn enough money on this show, you will all get some of the finer food we purchase." His promise is empty. All of Their promises are always empty.
     "Yes sir," I say anyway. The first night is much too hectic to even start mapping the little area I get to see of the town. He nods, not realizing my intention.
     "Good, good. Bruno!" he calls louder, and the door opens. Another one of Them stands, awaiting orders like a robot. "Take her to where the other talents are," The Head commands. He never says our names. I don't think he even knows them.
The large man grabs my wrist and yanks me out of Their trailer. I bite back a cry at his tight grip. He pulls me all the way to another, larger boxcar, much like my own and thrusts me inside. The large hole in the roof is barred, but gives enough moonlight for me to see the other performers -- my only friends. I rub my wrist and step inside. The door slams behind me, announcing my entrance. The others turn to look at me.
     "Petal," smiles Stripe, and he comes to give me a warm hug. I return it with just as much love. I can hear the rest returning to what they were doing -- practicing, talking, and pacing. Stripe lets me go and looks at me. "You all right?" he asks.
     "Yeah, I'm fine," I try a small smile, and I hope it fools him. Breeze cartwheels over to where we are and she gives me a huge grin.
     "Star says we're in Freedom, one of the largest towns. Can you believe it? We get to perform in Freedom!" She does another cartwheel from pure excitement.
     "It's not like we're paid performers, Breeze," Tadpole says from her corner. She looks up at us from beneath her dark bangs. "We're more slaves than anything."
     "Let her be excited if she wants to be, Tadpole," Stripe sounds annoyed.
     "I can stick up for myself, thanks," Breeze snaps.
     "Ok, all of you, stop," I say, "we don't need this before a show. If we break each other apart, we don't have anyone but ourselves." Tadpole, Stripe and Breeze all mutter a 'sorry' to each other. Star shuffles in his corner, and then clears his throat. The whole car goes silent.
     "Alright, everybody, this is it: opening night in Freedom. We all need to hold our tongues, whether They are around or not tonight. The Head will be introducing us as immortal, inhuman and impossible. Wing and Feather, you will be out first. Make sure to keep a safe distance from the audience. Stripe, you'll be next…"
     Star continues his talk, letting us all know who was going when, and what to look out for. He does this every night to make sure all of us are prepared. If we mess up, They will punish us. We all hate it when any one of us is punished; it's just another grim reminder that we're not worth anything to anyone but each other. Just a few moments after Star finishes, there is a loud rap on the door.
     "Hey, freaks, time to shine," one of Them cackles. The door opens, and we all walk out single-file into the back of the circus tent. There are hay piles for us to sit on while we're waiting, but nothing else back behind the stage. The Head was already out there, announcing us.
     "Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and girls of all ages! Tonight, we present to you an array of the most astounding creatures. The immortal, the inhuman, and the impossible. Purely for your entertainment, I give you first, Ladies of the Sky!" we hear from the back. Wing and Feather leave immediately, white wings already spread. You can hear the gasps of amazement as they enter. As much as we all hate having to go out there, revealing we're freaks of nature, I've always wanted to see the show. Just once, I want to be able to see what everyone can do when we're not in that tiny boxcar.
     After just a moment, we hear immense cheering. The people always enjoy seeing Wing and Feather fly. They glide back to where we all wait, and The Head announces Stripe, who somersaults out. The humans scream as the small boy becomes a large tiger, strutting around the ring. One by one, The Head calls us all out. Star for his uncanny fortune telling and mind reading, Tadpole for her ability to become a mermaid once she submerges herself in water, Thunder for creating lightning.
     I tug at my thin, flower-like dress, hoping maybe The Head will forget about me. Without fail, he calls me right after Thunder. I take a deep breath, then do a flip into the ring. I do several more until I am at the middle. Breeze follows close behind. The people clap, as they always do. I begin dancing to a small pan flute that one of Them plays. Flashing a dazzling smile, I let small pink flowers fall from my hands that weren't there a moment ago. A puff of air whisks them over the audience's head. I continue to dance, watching the people.
     Their eyes stay on me as I pull more flowers and petals out of thin air. Breeze keeps them floating, almost as if they are suspended in time. After our act is done, we go behind the flap once again, and I settle into one of the piles of hay. As soon as we are out of the way, Cloud tumbles into the ring. I close my eyes and let the roar of the cheers sing me to sleep, grateful that the hay is warm. After what seems an only minute, Star shakes me.
     "Finale time," he says in a low voice. I sigh. The finale is so draining, both physically and mentally. Wing, Feather and I all leap out from behind the canvas flap. Feather tosses me into the air, and Wing catches me on her back. I stand with my feet just between the base of her wings, letting petals drop to the ground.
     The audience gawks as Feather comes up beside us, and I shift so that one foot is on each of their backs. We do a few more loops around the tent as Stripe the tiger bounds into the ring. Several other performers followed them, doing their various talents. Wing and Feather spread apart, and I bring my feet together so I am tumbling through midair. The people who are still watching me gasp, but the other people see a formation being made in the ring.
     Stripe takes a single step forward, catching me on his back. Behind him, a well-balanced wall-like structure of people stands behind us. I pull a final handful of petals out of thin air, and Stripe pushes his chest out proudly. Roars of applause assault us, and we retreat out of sight. I carefully dismount Stripe, who becomes his human self again once I am off. Star calls for our attention quickly. He speaks quietly and urgently.
     "This is it. Tomorrow night there is the perfect chance to finally get out of here."
     "What?" Several of us whisper loudly. This is the first time I realize that I may not be the only one trying to get out of here.
     "Yes. Just follow my instructions as I give them tomorrow and things should go without a hitch." He nods, and we all look around at each other. A chance to leave this awful place, forever? Several of Them come to 'escort' us back to our 'homes'. For once, we all leave almost eagerly, excited for tomorrow night.
     The night passes slowly for me. After making sure I changed out of my costume, I was thrown into the cold metal box I called home. Then something that held its own light was slid towards me, and the door slammed shut. The Head said we'd have better food tonight -- and I knew it was a lie. However, I wasn't expecting to be provided with a candle for light. After fourteen years of seeing light only from spotlights and the moon, I'd gotten used to the dark.
     No, no, I hadn't been here that long. For the first few years of my life I had lived in the light, the Outside world, before I was sold into my own personal hell. It was how all of us had come here. But after so long never seeing something shine bright light, circus lights aside, the candle seems almost like an intruder in my small little world, illuminating all I could not see before. After a few minutes, I decide it's a vast improvement, being able to see all the corners of my car. I also wasn't chained to the cold metal wall, though I knew this would be because I hadn't tried to escape tonight. A small reward, but the promise of tomorrow still hangs in the air.
     Sleep is a long way away; I can feel it. I pick up a rock that I must have tracked in and toss it against the opposite wall. It clangs loudly, and I cringe away from the harsh noise. I sit in silence for a while, trying to sleep. Every time I can almost grasp the comfort of unconsciousness, Star's words resonate in my mind and I snap back awake.
The candle flickers in front of my face as I draw it close. After agonizing over it in my head, I decide to blow it out to see if I could sleep better that way. I hope it will work; They had given me no matches to re-light it. I close my eyes again, and I finally pull the blanket of sleep over me.

     I pace back and forth in my car. One of Them should have been here by now, to get me to the tent. They had already delivered my costume, and I'd changed quickly. I'd been on edge all day, worrying. What if Star was wrong? What if something changed, and we would all be captured again? If we all got caught, there's no telling what they'd do to us…
     The door bursts open, and I jump. One of Them are standing there, waiting. I sigh and walk over to the door. He grips my arm and hauls me off to the boxcar where the others are. It seems I'm, as usual, the last one there. The atmosphere is a mix of grim worry and pure bliss. The normal conversation of how one should wear their hair for the performance and bets on who will get loudest cheers has turned to what will happen after the show or during the show, and what The Head will tell Them to do. You can catch snippets of conversations… "When do you think we'll leave?" "Will we be able to stay together?" "I can't wait to see the Outside world…" I only listen for a few moments before I notice Tadpole looking over at me.
     "You look lost," she comments. I shrug.
     "Just waiting, like the rest of us," I reply, and then sit next to her. She's silent, and the truth of my statement hits me. Even headstrong Tadpole is waiting for the moment she can be free. And without a doubt, she is just as anxious as I am. For probably the first time since I've met Tadpole, we share an understanding, a common feeling other than hate for this place.
     "Petal," she says softly, "What'll happen to us, even if we do escape?" her voice cracks on 'us'. I bite the inside of my lip. This is something I haven't thought of.
     "We'll find jobs, or something. And try to live normal lives," is all I can answer.
     "But what about the littler ones? Breeze and Spring and Rain and Stripe, and all the others?" her voice is more urgent.
     "You're worrying too much, Tadpole. Don't you trust me?" A voice asks behind me, and I feel a hand on my shoulder. Turning slightly, I see Star. He has a sly smile on his face, but I can tell he's slightly upset with Tadpole.
     "Sh-shut up," she stammers, and wipes something off her face. Had Tadpole just been crying? Star sits down next to me. I make a little room so that we're sitting in a triangle.
     "Look, you two. You really don't think I'd even mention a chance to escape if we wouldn't all be safe in the long run, do you?" he shakes his head, and realization sets in.

     "There was a chance before. And you… you didn't say anything." I feel my fists clench involuntarily. Tadpole speaks before Star can.
     "And he kept us alive, Petal. All of us." She snaps. I flinch away from the sudden harshness in her voice.
     "Both of you, cut it out," he says. Then louder, "Alright everyone." He begins the rundown of tonight's show, and after I hear my name, I tune out. Stripe crawls over next to me, and then rests his head on my shoulder. I stroke the boy's hair absentmindedly, the way I would a cat, out of habit. He purrs as if he were, indeed, a cat. He is, in a way, I remind myself.
     Star finishes informing us who goes when, and then says simply, "We're doing the Princess finale." We all stare at him, and he nods. "The Head wants Breeze and Shade to be the mirrors, Breeze light, Shade dark. Griffin, you will be the Master, and Stripe will be the Beast. Petal, you are the Princess. Cloud, you are the Angel. Everyone else, you are the extra roles." He finishes as if this is nothing. Murmurs ripple through the group of us.
     The Princess finale is the single hardest finale we've ever had to do, and it was barely rehearsed. The worst part for me was that I was the Princess. I had never played the Princes role in my life. The Princess role wasn't a particularly hard one, but very important. Usually, I had been an extra, or half of the Mirror, but Breeze took that role tonight. Stripe, still resting on me, looks up at me.
     "Nervous?" he asks.
     "Not me," I try a confident laugh.
     "Your shaking, Petal…" he says quietly. Am I? I hadn't realized that I was. He wraps me in a crushing hug. "You'll be fine. I believe in you. Besides, it doesn't matter how well you do. We're leaving tonight, right?" he smiles. Stripe, ever the optimist.
     "Yeah," I nod, but I still don't feel confident. I've always tried to shine, even in this place of sin and slavery. A big, ugly one of Them opens up the door and has us file into the tent.
     I bury myself into one of the piles of hay, trying to bury my thoughts as well. Stripe comes and sits near me.
      "You do what you can, and try even when you think you cant," he says. I look up over him.
     "Stripe, you are the wisest ten-year-old I know," I comment. Star sits next to him and wraps him in a headlock.
     "Actually, I told him that a while back. Mooching off my wisdom, are you, kid?" he laughs evilly as Stripe struggles to get free.
     "Oh," is my reply. "Well, you're not ten, so you don't get the award."
     "What about wisest sixteen-year-old, then?" he asks as The Head begins introducing the show.
     "No. Just the only one I know that can read."
     "Well then, how about 'most talented sixteen-year-old'?"
     "Fine, if you feel you must be best at something, I suppose you may have that category," I chuckle. We both realize Stripe is still trying to escape. We both laugh as Star lets him free. After another moment, I smile.
     "Thanks," I say to both of them.
     "No problem," Star returns my smile. Stripe looks at Star, and Star realizes he has no idea what we're talking about.
     "For making me feel better," I add for his benefit. He smiles widely at me, then leaves for the ring right on his cue. I lean back into the warmth that the hay offers.
Star and I are both silent. Now that we've stopped talking, I realize there isn't near as much conversation as usual back here. The truth of the situation has sunk in. If Star was right, which we all assume he is, this will be our last show. I wonder where I'll go after this. I'd never really thought about it before. Would others stay with me, or would I be on my own?
     "Stop worrying about it, Petal" Star sighs.
     "Stop reading my mind, Star," I retort.
     "Because it's totally my fault that you think so loud. I don't try to. The others, I can only hear when I want to. But you, it's like you penetrate my skull."
     "Shut up," I mutter. This wasn't the first time he'd told me. I hear something that sounds like a single laugh beside me, and he ruffles my hair. "Hey!" I say, trying to fix it. He laughs and helps out.
     "Petal, if I ever had a little sister, she's have to be you."
     "I may as well be, the way you treat me."
     "Is that a compliment or an insult?"
     "Both," I say. "Does my hair look any better?"
     "It'll have to be, you're out next." He nods just as Stripe comes back in, still a tiger. I dance into the ring, alone tonight. I go into auto-drive, not paying real attention to what I'm doing. I hear cheers and applause, but they seem far away. By the time I go backstage, I notice that the sawdust was covered in small flowers. My job had been done.
     Still in a daze, I nearly sit on Stripe, rather than a haystack. I murmur an apology and sit next to him. I don't really wake up until someone pulls me into the stack. I yelp and jump up, turning to face the laughing face of Stripe. He must have climbed into it from the back somehow.
     "That wasn't funny!" I laugh anyway.
     "It made you snap out of it," he points out, and I have to give him that. I sit back down, waiting for him to return to his usual spot. He sits down and cuddles next to me. I smile, thinking about what he said about me being a little sister to him. Stripe would have to be my little brother, then. A few moments later, Breeze shakes me.
     "Wake up, wake up! Jeez, Petal, you always fall asleep. It's finale time!" she says, then runs out into the darkness of the ring. I shudder and follow her. My eyes adjust quickly and I scamper to the top of the tall tower that sits in the middle of the ring. It's sort of like a pyramid that has platforms upon platforms. I sit on the top tier, waiting. The lights go up, and I take a deep breath.
     The extras on the floor walk slowly, as if in water. Stripe and Griffin have a spotlight follow them. Griffin looks up at me and points, laughing evilly. A low light hits me from above, and I pretend to be terrified as he discreetly throws down smoke bombs, rendering the audience blind to the two of them. The group of extras clears the area, doing their various talents to occupy the audience while this goes on. When the smoke clears, Griffin has disappeared, and Stripe is again, a tiger. I let out a scream in faked horror. He roars and begins climbing the pyramid, when everyone freezes.
     The lights focus on the tier below me, where Breeze and Shade wait patiently. They dance gracefully, mirroring each other perfectly. At the end, Cloud emerges from behind them, and we all begin to move again. Stripe approaches Cloud, snarling. I watch as Cloud and Stripe run toward one another. Stripe rears, looking like the end already for Cloud, but he places a hand on Stripe's head at the last possible moment.
The stage is once again cloaked, but this time in a thick fog created by Cloud. Once it clears, Stripe is again his human self. I take a deep breath and run down to where Cloud waits. I jump up, and he catches me, lifting me into what I've heard been called an 'Angel lift'. I let petals rain from my hands, careful to keep as still as possible for Cloud as he carries me around the ring. Once he sets me down, the audience breaks into applause and we all bow.
     "Was that as bad as you thought it would be?" Cloud asks, his mouth not moving, almost like a ventriloquist.
     "No, but then, I was afraid I'd move loose my balance while you held me up," I say in the same manner. We all walk back behind the canvas curtain. Star gathers us all together.
     "Here we go. Travel in small groups, and make sure the little ones don't get left behind. It doesn't matter where you go, just don't stick around here. If you can find a way, meet here in a year's time so that we can all find ways to contact one another. Be safe and look out for each other." He nods, and we all run.
     I grab Stripe's hand on the way out. I don't see Star leave. Fear gnaws at the edge of my mind. Had he stayed behind, ready to take the blame for all of us? I try to push the thoughts of what The Head would do to him out of my mind. The Head would know that Star was the one who told us it would be safe to run, because The Head knows Star's incredible power. I can't think about this any longer. I have to get Stripe and I to safety. We run several yards away from the tent, towards the line of trees. The circus sounds and shouts from Them are getting more distant. I'm now more aware of other feet in the grass behind us, keeping pace no matter how far or fast we ran.
     "Stripe, run somewhere safe to hide." I whisper, and he nods bravely. I stop and spin around, ready to fight off one of Them if need be. I see the figure in the darkness, unable to make out the face. I quickly ready my defenses, not willing to take a step toward him. My arm rises to hit whoever it is, but he catches it before I can strike. I let out a surprised yelp and try to get him with my other hand, which he blocks easily. Before I know it, I'm turned around and in a headlock, yelling profanities and trying to get free.
     "Moron," a familiar voice laughs, releasing me. "I wouldn't let my little sister run off without me, would I?"
     "Star!" I throw my arms around him. I was glad he didn't stay behind. I'm even more glad he decided to come with Stripe and I. He laughs and whistles for Stripe. Stripe climbs down a near-by tree and joins in the hug. After we break apart, we all nod in silence. We all start running away from the circus, something totally backward from all the stories I've ever heard.
     In a small town, a circus rolls in, bright banners waving. Maybe I'll get to see it someday, rather than be told about it. But for now, I'm more than happy with the freedom I've just been granted, and my two brothers to share it with.

© 2012


Author's Note

This is one of my earliest works of fiction that I still like, but I'd love to hear what you think of it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really enjoyed reading this story! You did an excellent job of making dynamic and real relationships in so few words. I wished there had been more background story on each character but of course this is a short story not a book. There were some grammatical errors and a few confusing bits due to an overuse of pronouns. Other than that it was a great read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

interesting story, it has a good flow, but to make it easier to read indent.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story was so cute, especially the ending. Of course, it had its sad moments, but you knew it would all work out in the end. And of course she chose to go with Stripe and Star~

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovely! Ok a few things that stuck out for me are the way you used Them and They and such was a wonderful move. When we know a characters name we get close to them, however we werent supposed to know these characters cause They are all the same and such. They are also supposed to be distant and cruel and that was a wonderful way of diplaying that. 2nd i like how you grouped the more major characters as 'the talent' and not giving them names at first adds to portaying Them as cruel. And last, and probably my favortie element of this piece is how you repeated In a small town, a circus rolls in, bright banners waving. that was brilliant :) good job once again! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really enjoyed reading this story! You did an excellent job of making dynamic and real relationships in so few words. I wished there had been more background story on each character but of course this is a short story not a book. There were some grammatical errors and a few confusing bits due to an overuse of pronouns. Other than that it was a great read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 13, 2011
Last Updated on June 29, 2012
Tags: Circus, talent, gifted

Author


Writing
Loaded Gun Smile Loaded Gun Smile

A Poem by


My Dear My Dear

A Poem by


Emotions of After Emotions of After

A Poem by