Snow-Coated Valentine

Snow-Coated Valentine

A Story by

It was too early for me to be awoken, especially by a phone ringing.

I grumbled and turned over in my bed, covering my head with a pillow. Someone else would get it. After a few more rings, no one picked up. In occurred to me that if Mother had left for work already and Ana had stayed at her boyfriend's house, I was the only one at home. I thought about letting the machine get it, sighed, and rolled out of bed. I snatched a cordless phone and hit the 'talk' button before another shrill ring could hurt my ears.

"H'llo," I mumbled, still half-asleep.

"Oh, did I wake you?" asked a familiar voice. I knew the voice well, but I couldn't put my finger on who it was with my thoughts as fuzzy as they were.

"Mhm. Who's this?"

"You really were asleep, weren't you?" It was a male, and he was amused at something. I tried hard to figure out who it was.

"Why're you calling me so early, Adam?" I asked sleepily. I tried to calculate what time it was in Texas. Earlier than here. It was only 10 AM here.

"It's ten o' clock, what are you still doing in bed?"

"Sleeping," I rubbed sleep out of my eyes with my free hand. He laughed, which made me smile. I liked his laugh.

"Look out your window." He told me. I wondered if it was snowing again. He said that snow should remind me of him, thanks to last winter's memories. He'd sometimes call me and tell me to look out at the snow. I sighed and trudged over to my bedroom window, pulled the curtain out of my way.

At first I was temporarily blinded by the light reflecting off of -- what else? -- snow. As my eyes adjusted, I could see something stood in the front yard. I blinked a couple times. It couldn't be what I thought it was. But it was true, it was real.

"ADAM!" I yelled, hanging up the phone and throwing it onto my bed. I raced down the stairs, completely ignoring the fact I was still in my T-shirt and pajama pants. I flew down the stairs and out the door. He was still laughing, and my feet stung from going from a warm house onto cold pavement, but all I could do was grin like a little kid. Running over to me, he gathered me up in his arms and hugged me tightly. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been this happy. I pulled myself away enough to look him in the eyes.

"How on Earth did you...?"

"Happy Valentine's day, Marie," was his only response. He gently set be back on my feet, and we simply stood staring at each other for a while. So many times we'd wished to see each other over the course of the year, and here we were. So many things to talk about, where could we even start? The snow fluttered around us, and I forced myself to commit this image to memory -- the white snow, the clouds the formed when we breathed, and the one I loved, who should have been in Texas studying for college.

"Adam," I said finally, "my feet are getting really cold."

This started him laughing again, and I laughed along with him. It was so good to laugh with him again.

"Let's get you inside, then," he said between chuckles. I took his hand in mine and led him into the house.

© 2012


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like this too! Blah! Why aren't you in my department!! Dx The only thing I would suggest is finding another word for laugh. It kinda seemed a lil overused to me. You dont gotta listen to me though. Its your work, remember that and theres no one who can tell you that something is for sure wrong with it. Its all in opinion. But this was a nice story :) I enjoyed it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this too! Blah! Why aren't you in my department!! Dx The only thing I would suggest is finding another word for laugh. It kinda seemed a lil overused to me. You dont gotta listen to me though. Its your work, remember that and theres no one who can tell you that something is for sure wrong with it. Its all in opinion. But this was a nice story :) I enjoyed it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
1 Review
Added on June 13, 2011
Last Updated on March 23, 2012
Tags: love, romance, snow, Valentines Day

Author


Writing
Loaded Gun Smile Loaded Gun Smile

A Poem by


My Dear My Dear

A Poem by


Emotions of After Emotions of After

A Poem by