The power of words

The power of words

A Story by Anya
"

Just a small story :)

"

What’s in a story? I thought, what could possibly be so enchanting in some flimsy pages? Its just words!! Words scrambled together into some kind of meaning then set lose on paper. I blinked behind my glasses. What was so special about that? I watched my older sister turn page after page in fascination, with an obsession. Watching her eyes fill with tears, watching them leak over her glassy blue eyes and rest on her cheeks like raindrops. Each one perfectly formed. I watched her smile, then laugh out loud. Gasp in horror. Draw breath then let it out in one go. I saw her bite her lip as tears dribbled over her cheeks yet again, then flick back and re-read pages. Yet, I could not understand what was so special about this paper she held in front of her. How it could reduce my older sister to tears, how it could make her laugh in delight. I crept across the room in the dark, for it was now twilight, and lent my head against her shoulder. She put an arm round me and continued to read, I, studying every expression. After a few minutes she started to shake with uncontrollable laughter, my head bumping against her chest.

“What’s so funny” I asked, still baffled. In answer she stated reading to me from the flimsy white paper. I started to laugh too.

“Here” She said handing me a book from beside her “Try this”. I crumpled up my face and reached out for the book. Crossing the room I went to sit in the rocking chair, tucking my legs under me. I flipped the cover open and began to read. A whole new world opened up. Princesses and dragons, dwarfs and giants, monsters, fairies, talking animals, the creatures spun off the pages, each so very, very real to me. They were like friends, best friends whom I had know for a long time.

 

 

Once I had finished I shut the book with a sigh, I felt the beautiful world closing, a pang of sadness overcame me. It felt like I had lost a best friend. I looked up to see my sister staring at me.

“What?” I asked

“Fascinating” She whispered “You went through a lot of emotions”

“I did?” I said, she nodded

“You started crying at one point”

“No I-“ I had reached up a hand to my face. It was wet with tears. “Oh”

She giggled and I joined in

“The power of words” She said “The power of words”

 

© 2009 Anya


Author's Note

Anya
I'm terrible when it comes to spelling and grammar, please excuse :)
I'm also 13

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow!! That was Incredible moving!!
Such great imagery you have!
"Watching her eyes fill with tears, watching them leak over her glassy blue eyes and rest on her cheeks like raindrops."
You may be 13 but you have the talent of someone much much wiser!
what a unique and compelling way to describe the love of reading!
one of my favorites ;]

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

very deep... the power of your words!

Posted 14 Years Ago


great write! very realistic, it reads as if it were happening in front of me =)
wow your only 13?! this seems like it was writin by someone older! (in a good way lol)
i guess indenting a bit couldnt hurt, but thats the only negitive thing i could say about this.
love the topic, the voice, and the emotion of this write. keep it up =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
(:
Haha, books are that moving. :) I love this!

Awesome.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Terrible at spelling and grammar - No you're not - and don't dare argue! What is also good is to realise that to you, grammar and spelling are important enough to make you leave a note, and they are. You're right in that. This story reveals not only good writing ability, but powers of observation and a sense of respect for emotion as well as a love for words. Keep it up Anya. You will do well. If I can help with review or advice, just ask and I'll try.
Things I enjoyed: Fresh writing and approach from a young viewpoint (I am ancient). It was good to hear of sisters who get along so well. Your love for words. If as you say, your grammar and spelling are not good, you have gone to a lot of trouble to get it right.
Things I didn't enjoy, well I suppose I would have been happy had it been longer and my enjoyment thus prolonged but that's just me being selfish.

I'm glad you liked my little effort. I'd love it if you read some more, both poems and stories. Have a go at telling me where I go wrong (we all do) because seeing other's mistakes helps you to see your own - but don't tell anyone I said that.
God Bless,
John

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow!! That was Incredible moving!!
Such great imagery you have!
"Watching her eyes fill with tears, watching them leak over her glassy blue eyes and rest on her cheeks like raindrops."
You may be 13 but you have the talent of someone much much wiser!
what a unique and compelling way to describe the love of reading!
one of my favorites ;]

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 3, 2009
Last Updated on April 3, 2009

Author

Anya
Anya

The UK



About
Well.... My name's Anya... that's a start. I love spiders, heights and physics.... yeeeeeah, I don't really! I can't stand spiders or heights or..... I have a distinct passion against physics (don'.. more..

Writing
Andrew Andrew

A Story by Anya


Forever Never Forever Never

A Story by Anya



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Red Paint Red Paint

A Story by Anya