Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by E.H. Koski
"

Chapter three of The Life of MC and Me

"

Chapter three

 

            The sky was changing colors, setting into a mix of yellows, reds, and oranges instead of a light blue. The sun is peeking out from the clouds, making it look picture-perfect. There’s no doubt in my mind that MC is sitting on the back porch watching this sunset.

            I find a free space in the parking lot of Hamper’s Butcher Shop and step out of my car. I lean against the door, taking a few minutes to watch the sunset. Eventually I feel the stress from work melt away, and I stride towards the shop.

            As I reach out to open the door, I freeze up. My dream from last night floods into my head. I realize that Paul most likely can see me here, pausing for no reason at his door. So I push away the thoughts and go inside, trying not to have a panic attack.

            “Well ma’am, all the beef comes from my family farm. My brother and my father take care of all the animals themselves. The meat comes to me, I cut it up myself, and I sell it here,” Paul is explaining all this to an older woman who looks unsure of being here. As soon as he looks up and sees me a huge smile comes across his face.

            The old woman glances back at me, but then looks back to the display showing all the kinds of meat you can get. “Well, I’ll think about it. My old butcher had a story like yours, but he turned out untrustworthy.”

            Paul nods, looking very understanding. “That’s fine, ma’am. I’ll be here if you decide to come back. Did you want to take one of our business cards? You can call the number on it and tell me exactly what you want, and I’ll have it ready the next time you come in.”

            I step up to the counter. “He’s not lying, he’s extremely trustworthy. I’ve been coming to him for years.”

            Paul’s eyes sparkle as I vouch for him. The woman looks at me then gives Paul a small smile as she takes his card.

            “Thank you, I’ll think about it,” she says as she heads towards the door.

            “Goodbye, ma’am,” Paul nods to her then looks at me with an ear-to-ear grin.

            “You seem rather happy today,” I laugh.

            “Hard to be in a bad mood when I know you’re coming by, Miss Lance.”

            I always picture him on a horse when he talks to me like that; dressed up as the handsome sheriff, tipping his hat to me as I stand in front of him in a big dress and matching sunhat, fanning myself with a hand held fan. I’d be there hiding my face behind the fan as I blush.

            “How are your brother and dad?” I ask, trying to not blush from my fantasy.

            He goes into the back room and comes back out with my steaks, all bagged up with my name printed over the top. “They’re doing swell. They are eager to meet you. You are, after all, our best customer. They say any girl that has that much love for beef must be a keeper.”

            “Tell them I say hello.”

            I start to dig into my wallet to pay for my steaks. Paul speaks in a lower voice, “Well, everyone is coming over tomorrow night for supper. If you want, we’d all love to have you over.”

            I look up in surprise. My dream again runs through my mind, and I blush. Paul blushes too, running a hand through his short, dark brown hair.

            “You know you can always tell me to shut my trap if I’m being too forward,” he says.

            “But you’re not,” I smile, handing him a few bills.

            He locks eyes with me, and my heart rate picks up. “Well, Miss Lance, you didn’t answer my question.”

            I think back to all the times Paul has asked me out to dinner, to the movies, to even his brother’s birthday party. I had declined each and every one of his offers. I have MC to look after.

            “May I think about it?”

            “Of course,” he looks away, but something in his face seems excited. It may be because I’ve never answered like this. I’ve always declined on the spot, saying I was caught up in work, which is basically true.

            “Will you be here tomorrow?”

            “Sure will, but I’m gonna leave work a bit early to go get ready for everyone to come over.”

            I check the clock on the wall. It’s nearly seven. I’ll be able to talk with MC about it tonight, and I’ll hopefully have an answer for him by tomorrow.

            “Tell you what, I’ll give you a call tomorrow morning,” I pick up my steaks and hold them tightly to my chest, feeling my fluttering heart inside.

            “I’ll be here, Miss Lance. I promise,” he crosses his heart playfully.

            I giggle and start heading toward the door. “Good-bye, Paul. Have a nice night.”

            “You too, Miss Lance. Goodnight.”

            Once I scurry out into my car I take a deep breath and try to calm myself. I’ve never had my heart go that fast when I’m around Paul. Sure, at times I’ve blushed and giggled at him which always leave me feeling foolish after I leave, but I just acted like a love struck teenager. And I don’t even know if I’ll accept his offer.

            I want to. Very much so, but I can’t just leave MC. I’m all he’s got.

            I try to focus on the road as I drive home. Within minutes I’m already in my driveway. I don’t know if I hurried home because I don’t want MC to worry, or if I want to talk to MC about me having dinner with Paul tomorrow. I nearly forget to grab the steaks as I rush myself to get inside the garage. I put the steaks into my ice box and then go inside.

            “MC, I’m home!” I shout into the house.

            I hear him start coming up the stairs from his basement. As soon as he reaches the top he greats me with one of his relieved smiles.

            “I was getting worried,” he follows me into the kitchen.

            “Sorry, I got caught up talking with Paul. Do you want some dinner?”

            “Yes, please.”

            “How does spaghetti sound?”

            “Very nice.”

            MC hardly ever shares the same meal as me, but now and then he does. It makes him happy when we do; it makes him feel more himself instead of only half of who he once was. As long as the meal we share has some sort of meat in it, it’s a perfect meal for him. Although his body can consume raw meat, it’s nice to let him have a break and eat things that are cooked.

            As we wait for the noodles to cook and the sauce to warm up, we sit side by side at the island table. I stare at him for a while, just trying to get my thoughts straight. MC sits patiently, smiling over at me once our eyes meet. I look away from him, contemplating on how I should ask him.

            “How was work?” MC asks, trying to make conversation.

            “Alright, just had to deal with Jack.”

            He grunts unhappily. I think he doesn’t like Jack much. I don’t know why, because as far as I know he never met Jack. The only time they’ve been face to face is when MC was in the basement of the lab with the other specimens waiting to be put to use. All of them unconscious and in pods, hooked up to wires and all sorts of things to keep them alive while we work on other specimens. I’m not even sure if Jack remembers this, since he does it so often. The only other time they were looking at each other was through that one-way window. Now that I think about it, no matter what, there has been at least a pane of glass in between the specimens and Jack. I wonder if he’s ever met one in person.

            MC puts a hand on my shoulder and makes me jump. I come out from my daze and look at him with a small smile. He doesn’t return the smile at first, looking me over in concern.

            “You alright?” he asks, still studying me.

            I sigh and nod, “I am; just I have some stuff on my mind.”

            “Stuff?”

            I get up from the stool and go to the stove. To have my hands busy as I think, I stir the noodles and the sauce.

            MC comes up next to me. “What kind of stuff?”

            “Stuff about me.”

            “Then it should. Be good stuff. It doesn’t. Look like good. Stuff.”

            The corner of my mouth twitches in a smile for a moment, something I do when I don’t feel like smiling. “You’re very sweet, MC.”

            He shrugged. “What’s wrong?”

            I meet his eyes for a moment, and then look away. “I’m trying to decide on something. It’s something I’ve never put any thought into.”

            “Can I help?”

            This time I smile a bit more, but it is a sarcastic smile. “I will need your help on deciding, it’s up to you really.”

            He smiles at me. “I get to decide. For you? That’s a first.”

            That got me to laugh a little bit. “Yes, I know. MC, you know I always put you first, don’t you?”

            “Of course. I thank you. For that.”

            “I don’t want you to think I’d leave you.”

            His forehead crinkles up in confusion. “Are you moving?”

            “No, nothing like that.”

            “A trip then?”

            “Again, no,” I pour the noodles out into a strainer sitting in the sink. The steam goes into my face and leaves warm droplets of moisture there.

            “Kim-ber-lee. Please tell me,” he has an extremely worried look on his face.

            I sigh. “You know who Paul is, right?”

            His worried face mixes in with confusion. “The butcher?”

            “Yes, that’s him. He asked me to come over.”

            MC’s face goes blank for a second, and it scares me until he raises an eyebrow and looks sort of puzzled, but has a smile on his face. “Hasn’t he before?”

            I laugh softly, “Many, many times, yes.”

            He nods slowly, taking everything in. I wait for him to speak again, but he doesn’t. I can practically see him walking into his thoughts, going deep into them so he can find the words he wants. He helps me get two bowls of spaghetti made up and then we both sit down at the table. The only noises for a long time were of us chewing and our forks rubbing against the glass as we twirl noodles around the tines.

            “You should go,” MC says suddenly, not looking up at me.

            “What?” I am utterly surprised by his answer.

            His gray eyes look directly into mine. “You should go. Over to Paul’s.”

            “Are you sure?”

            He gives me one of his reassuring smiles. “You won’t be. Gone forever.” After a moment his smile falters. “Right?”

            “Of course I’ll be back. He just invited me over to dinner. But, MC, I don’t want to leave you here all by yourself.”

            “I know. It’ll be fine. I’m not worried. I’ve been left. Alone before.”

            I sigh, wishing so very much that he didn’t have to ever be left alone. MC deserves to have someone with him all the time, enjoying his company and good spirit. I wish he could have JL.

            “You know I still don’t want to have you be alone.”

            “One day. When I’m better.”

            I look deep into his eyes, looking for something to tell me that I should stay here and be with him. He doesn’t look away from my eyes, and doesn’t blink. His smile reaches up into his eyes, and I know he’s telling the truth.

            “You’re sure about this?” I ask again.

            He nods firmly. “You’ve never. Looked so. Worried about. Something. I can see. It’s important. To you.”

            Smiles spread across both our faces, and we contently continue to eat.

            “Thank you, Michael.”

            He nods, smiling at me with a mouthful of noodles in his cheeks. I laugh and it calms me down more. I should do something special for MC for letting me do this without even a word of protest. He’s such a sweet soul. I hope nothing ever changes that about him.



© 2018 E.H. Koski


Author's Note

E.H. Koski
Please give me any and all feedback

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on January 19, 2018
Last Updated on January 19, 2018
Tags: undead, zombie, life, death, love, family, science, Fiction


Author

E.H. Koski
E.H. Koski

Writing
Wishes Wishes

A Story by E.H. Koski


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by E.H. Koski