The Writer

The Writer

A Poem by Victoria Scott
"

Actually, this poem is true. It has happened to me quite a few times and I decided to write it down because recalling this gave me inspiration.

"
The writer sits, a crumpled form, pounding his pen against the hard wooden desk.  
There is a silence that crushes his mind, until the clocks rings make his head pound and his heart quicken as he spies the hour.  
The Writer's head collapses into his hands as another sleepless night ends and the start of a new day begins.  
The page is blank as is his mind; his inspiration is low, and his heart is heavy.  
The room begins to grow stifling.  
He holds his breath against the silence but finally, in frustration, he leaps up from his desk and stretches his legs.  
He walks past the crumpled papers on the floor, pieces of his misery he saw them.  
He stepped up to the window, grey, and threw it open, releasing, into the silence, the ambiance of street cars below.  
Where is beauty in a place like this?  
He was about to turn away when he heard a most beautiful song.  
On his sill was a glorious red cardinal singing against the noise, against people, and against his fears.  
His eyes shone in defiance at the Writer, saying thus, "Look at me, I am unafraid."  
The Writer walked back to his desk and took up, once again, his pen.  
He looked at the pure sheet of white and suddenly it came to him.  
You can find inspiration in anything only if you look.  
Because when you look past the grey and the ice cold stare you'll see a cardinal saying to you, "Look at me, I am unafraid."

© 2011 Victoria Scott


Author's Note

Victoria Scott
Apologies for any grammatical errors...I was never good at grammar.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Digging deeper. You already knew about it :P I absolutely enjoyed it, especially imagining the cardinal puffing up his chest against the writer's bleak and dreary thoughts. Well that's what I imagine when your wrote the first line in the last stanza.

In your third to last line in your last stanza I would change "Only if you look" to "if you only look" because when you say the whole sentence it rolls of the tongue easier.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I can definitely relate to this experience. And I agree with the message very much. There is always a story to be told in every person, place, or thing. Great job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Victoria Scott,

A LOVE for writing I have detected; a bit of writers block cured by inspiration.

He holds his breath against the silence - Fascinating
His eyes shone in defiance at the writer - Wonderful
Last line - Complete and inspiriational

One thing (besides formatting) I would change and only one thing is this line here:

The room begins to grow stifling. (maybe {the room grows stifling})

This is a true and honest depiction of the frustrations a writer faces, even when it is his passion, if we are writing on a topic we don't believe in - writers block sucks him in. The cardinal against all odds was an amazing way of changing his course of mind/action.

Have a great day,

Legacy

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Captivating piece that sets a scene almost like a movie. You tell a story very well here in verse.

Love,
Amera

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Digging deeper. You already knew about it :P I absolutely enjoyed it, especially imagining the cardinal puffing up his chest against the writer's bleak and dreary thoughts. Well that's what I imagine when your wrote the first line in the last stanza.

In your third to last line in your last stanza I would change "Only if you look" to "if you only look" because when you say the whole sentence it rolls of the tongue easier.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

love this poem you are so good at writing like seriously you are amazing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

445 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011

Author

Victoria Scott
Victoria Scott

Sioux Falls, SD



About
"All right... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool--that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." -Great Gatsby more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..