Reflections

Reflections

A Story by ayesha cullen

Looking out at the starry sky, I realize how marvellous the creation of Nature is. The cosmos, to me, is a celestial mystery shrouded with colourful, glowing galaxies and stars. It is as if the Universe feeds off party lights every second of its existence, and fire crackers illuminate the cosmic atmosphere. I have as limited an idea about outer space as any common man without having a Science degree, but, marvel at the creation of celestial auras, and I am tempted to revel in its volatile, yet magical history: past, present, and future.

To even think of where we, the human beings, are positioned, I cannot but feel indefinitely small, and insignificant. Where billions of galaxies exist across time and space in the Universe, we are just a tiny fragment of one of them; Milky Way has been kind enough to accommodate us, and bear us. It churns my head to look out for the distance each one is from one another, and yet, it kindles a heavenly bliss in me knowing that I, an insignificant of all, belong to one of those magical spirals levitating in the outer space; heavenly bliss, but a fleeting emotion, that fades away with time and space, and lost into the insignificant doldrums of human activities that has been spiralling in an upward trend within the planetary system of our gargantuan gaseous home.

From far atop, spaced over millions of light years away, the human beings, to my mind, seem only a faint twinkle yonder, and their sufferings, a distant beam of light. Placed within the mysterious extension of a darkened vault, they fade into nothingness. I am, sometimes, put into a weird state of mind where the consciousness of human mind dwindles over great lengths as against what has been going on for over billions of years ever since the big bang graced human knowledge. I see nothing of the shenanigans occurring on our planet. I hear nothing of the gun shots and warfare between countries. I know nothing of criticisms and hatred. All I can see and hear are the gaseous clouds and fairy lights studded amongst them, burning with desire--some furious and volatile, while others, fairly calm. Putting human chaos against the cosmic enigma, I pity the human race for being ignorant, for being sheathed with a veil of ignorance, and for being incapacitated to skirt their myopic lens and look at the broader horizon to realize how insignificant their lives are.

Perchance, it is not something they see along the lines of their quotidian lives, but, what might come if they did, would be something of a greater purpose, and maybe, put an end to greed and war (?).

© 2018 ayesha cullen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I hope and wish the same things.
Putting human chaos against the cosmic enigma, I pity the human race for being ignorant, for being sheathed with a veil of ignorance, and for being incapacitated to skirt aside their myopic lens and look at the broader horizon to realize how insignificant their lives are."

Will take a bad thing to happen for men to learn. All life had value and we must protect the earth. Thank you for sharing the powerful words and thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


Very well said. *Claps*
Great depiction of the world. As the human race has evolved, emotions too have stirred into its heart. Greed and wildness being on the peak. War. War. And war. One more attempt and nothing remains. Destruction is the only thing which will be gifted. Let's hope that one day humans settle their differences, peace conquers and war yields. Let's hope.
An amazing piece!!! Well done. :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


ayesha cullen

6 Years Ago

thank you so much :)
Ghania

6 Years Ago

Very Welcome, Ayesha. :)
I have often felt the same when looking at the human race as a whole. Why are we so arrogant towards the fact that we are nothing more than a small spinning fragment of solar drift wood? Why do we think while we are on this planet nothing else happens out in the depths of space? A good piece you have written and thank you for the food of thought.

Posted 6 Years Ago


ayesha cullen

6 Years Ago

thank you toxin :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

405 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2017
Last Updated on May 22, 2018

Author

ayesha cullen
ayesha cullen

India



About
A romantic by nature; a realist by default. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Stranger Stranger

A Chapter by Dr. YumnaKay