Silence

Silence

A Story by Ashley Laren
"

Written for the contest prompt in which the story must include "A character with lilies inexplicably covering their house, their pet guinea pig, and an almost fatal accident at a mall."

"

The sun rose and set everyday in a never ending cycle, continuously releasing it's golden rays on the small, stone house that stood alone within the overgrown forest.  The golden rays would reach and writhe in pain attempting to squeeze through the overgrown vines and lilies that laced the home in hopes of banishing the shadows that lurked within.  Specks of light casted themselves over Ellie as she scribbled away in silence, seated at a little, wooden desk placed by one of the windows of the solemn home.  She continuously stopped to read over her work before crumbling it up into a ball and disposing of it with the other crunched up papers that lined the floor.  The silence was disrupted with the small pitter patter of feet accompanied by the munching of Ellie's pet guinea pig upon her disposed words.  She stopped to lift up her little friend before drying her eyes with a tissue found upon her desk.  With fragile fingers, Ellie lifted her final note into a crisp, white envelope and sealed it with a kiss.  


Silence once again surrounded Ellie as she found herself alone in the mall's tiny elevator travelling up towards the third floor.  The doors squeaked open as the hustle and bustle, of the shopping center, flooded her eardrums.  Exiting the elevator, she walked slowly but surely towards the railing that overlooked all three stories of the building.  She bent over the railing and closed her eyes tight, trying to avoid seeing the distance between her and the first floor.  1...2.......3, she lifted herself forward until there was no turning back, until their was silence.  Silence until the sudden interference of red lights and ringing sirens flooded her subconsciousness.

© 2015 Ashley Laren


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ooooh, this one was really sad! And touched on one of my worst fears: The thought of dying from a fall doesn't scare me nearly as bad as the thought of surviving a fall like that, all hurty and maimed. It's right up there on my list of random fears with wearing flipflops into public bathrooms...

If I were going to suggest anything, it would be more segue between the two scenes. It can be mysterious why she goes to the mall, but we didn't know she was leaving the house until she was already in the elevator.

Oh, and I liked that the rays of light writhed in pain, rather than the foliage on the roof; that was a good choice.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 25, 2015
Last Updated on July 25, 2015
Tags: Contest, short story, nature, fiction, realization, depression, teen

Author

Ashley Laren
Ashley Laren

About
My name is Ashley and I am 18 years old. I like to write poetry, fantasy, fiction and horror mostly but am always looking to explore new genres to write about. more..

Writing
Offerings Offerings

A Story by Ashley Laren