Germs

Germs

A Story by BirdsFly
"

From the same prompt as "In Which There is Dissatisfaction."

"

She stared longingly at the stars, wishing for their companionship, yet simultaneously wishing they would just leave her alone. Under their constant gaze, she was caught in a state of limbo: always being watched and always without friend.

 

Her memories of Old Times were fond. Filled with family and friends and family-friends, she practically lived in her head since the Storm. Eyes still fixed on the stars, the Wanderer slumped to the group with her knees protectively to her chest. She laced gloved fingers and cupped the back of her head while laying back. The stars made her lonely and the moon made her nostalgic. For the moment, they were also her security, and she allowed herself a moment of recollection.

 

I’m on the last boss!

 

..I haven’t even beaten the third on yet. But! You know, I’m in school a lot. And…

 

 

I’ll help you if you want!

 

He was always so supportive, her young friend. He never let her jealousy interfere with their friendship.

 

“Oh, Benjamin… On nights like this, I miss you most,” she customarily spoke aloud, as to never forget the sound of her own voice.

 

Super Exercise!!!

 

They jumped around in the pool, diving under, pretending to fight each other, but all in good fun. They could have been twins, but they were unrelated and a she was a few years older. But they had so much fun screaming and thrashing about in the pool.

 

Back when water was plentiful enough to poison with chlorine.

 

GERMS!

 

It was a greeting, it was a term screamed as she’d drive away. It was an entire conversation. It was a joke between only them as they hugged and loved in the purest of ways. Only her and Benjamin.

 

They both wanted to be the same character.

 

“And his older brother… Samuel.”

 

I want a parrot.

 

Me too.


I want an owl.

 

Let’s start an owl sanctuary.

 

Really?

 

Really. When we move out, we’ll start one.

 

Let’s sell paper airplanes.

 

And so they made two hundred.

 

Back when paper was plentiful enough to fold and throw.

 

She missed carefree.

 

She missed their mom’s split-pea soup.

 

She missed her mom and their mom drinking wine (a delicacy since the Storm).

 

She missed easy life.

 

She mostly just missed her friends.

 

She’d have given every ounce of loot she’d acquired over the past decade and a half to have just them back.

 

More than loneliness, more than bittersweet nostalgia, the Wanderer felt a seething, undirected hatred. With her skills, so much bottled energy was dangerous to any living being.

© 2010 BirdsFly


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your words are so intricately woven with emotion and vivid energy. This was an intriguing, gripping write... Each line brings to life a certain "world" but simply loved this: "Let’s sell paper airplanes. And so they made two hundred..." Amazing piece...


Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the way you have recount your emotions in this write. It stands out to me because of the well-chosen words that that flow into a picture.
This write comes from your soul’s verve; the energy that comes from each word is powerful as is this write! Very Nice ~ Jude :-)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

841 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2010
Last Updated on February 5, 2010

Author

BirdsFly
BirdsFly

HI



About
I'm learning to use my hatred to write. I follow writing prompts out of at least a dozen sources, including my daily life. I try to make each piece therapuetic or contributing to a greater story. more..

Writing
Mouse Mouse

A Story by BirdsFly



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..