Death Knell

Death Knell

A Poem by Chris Shaw
"

Reading prison, a poem about it's closure. Oscar Wilde was once imprisoned there.

"
So Reading Gaol has now called time
and jangled keys no longer hold
bad men, condemned to barren cells.
Some gruesome crimes made blood run cold.
Long corridors still hear the sighs
of ghosts unready for goodbyes.

Confined behind high barricades,
they served their sentence, debt repaid,
but fiends who slayed with blades or hands
were deemed too wicked to be saved.
Imposed on them black cap means death,
a tightened noose, steals strangled breath.

And Oscar's torment, prison hell,
of misery and wretched woe
from France in exile, where he penned
of inmates there, not friend or foe
but humans off the beaten path
who lost all reason, stoked by wrath.

What now becomes of empty cells?
What future use for walls so steeped,
they ooze with all the grief they've reaped?

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very nicely rhymed, with imagery that brings a chill. The old style penal systems were definitely slanted toward punishment, rather than correction. And poor Wilde was there simply for being gay. Of course, in the US currently we have people doing hard time for marijuana offenses, which to me is like sending people to prison for alcohol offenses during prohibition.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Yes, Reading Gaol, famous for incarcerating Oscar Wilde because he was a homosexual. Your situation .. read more



Reviews

Very nicely done. I love how you often tell a story about something we maybe didn't know before in a unique way. You and Neville are very much kindred spirits in that sense.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Lyn. Happy you enjoyed the read, happier still to be put in the same sentence as Neville.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
I really enjoyed the story you tell here. The visuals were spot on... you had me roaming the halls of the abandoned prison.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks for confirming that enjoyment. Hope the ghosts didn't spook you too much.

.. read more
BBP

5 Years Ago

Never! They make things too interesting. :)
Your poetry is always so fascinating Chris! Prison such a hard issues to write about but you do it well! Ty for the share!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you CQ. I wouldn't normally write about prison. I was more fascinated because it was closing d.. read more
Amazing how the word 'prison' is more often or not ignored til there's a fight inside one, prisioners stand on rooftops demanding their rights, or, as nowadays there's mention of drones flying in the night.or intimidating body searches of all kinds by staff or fellow inmates.

Elsewise it takes fine poetry like yours to remind people that once upon a time, prisons were hell.holes where the cruellest of sentences were carried out but, not necessarily in the so.called courts. Now of course, in many of our prisons, cells might include book.shelves, tvs.. and the right to phone home... how things change in less than two hundred years! Accommodation far better than many have outside, sleeping in doorways, or under bridges. Find it hard to equate an open and generous concience to that, especially on Sundays. The mention of Reading Gaol is synonymous with Lord Byron and now of course, in the main, that's been gradually softened or ignore by society.

Your words educate, remind, say how it was. Wonder if in the future, over the same time, the pendulum will swing the other way? You, Chris, have a way of making the reader, think, weigh, find different emotions in a post. It's subtle but needed and done so very well. Tis a pleasure to read you, really mean that. Forgive my blather, please. Perhaps like cotton mills, mines et al, the prison will become a visitors' centre..

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thanks Em for your thoughtful response. The whole subject of prisons throws much into the cooking po.. read more
Nicely nicely Chris, on such a controversial subject. Maybe taken out of circulation for not being up to the five star prison standard of today, or perhaps we should hang them all and be done with them. No one seems to sit on the fence on this subject, so im,all alone here for once. On one hand, rehabilitation should be offered, but not if they keep coming back. One countries solution is anothers barbarity.
We sent prisoners to and oz as a punishment, yet we pay to go on holiday. Hmmm!
Death should be for only the iredeemable, who are beyonf daving and beyond punishment. But the trouble is, everyone has an opinion but they cant all be right.
I like the flourishes you add to your writing, throwing in history lessons for free. Did not know Oscar was a guest. What is it with celebrities always causing trouble and up to no good :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Hi Lorry, I've got your brain cells ticking over nicely on this one haven't I? This poem certainly c.. read more
Lorry

5 Years Ago

Typical. I bet there's a bloody commitee involved :)
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

There always is innit.
Another empty room,
cold to visit.
Interesting write.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you John. Yes empty cells full of ghosts. Hope all is OK with you.

Chris
Very nicely rhymed, with imagery that brings a chill. The old style penal systems were definitely slanted toward punishment, rather than correction. And poor Wilde was there simply for being gay. Of course, in the US currently we have people doing hard time for marijuana offenses, which to me is like sending people to prison for alcohol offenses during prohibition.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Yes, Reading Gaol, famous for incarcerating Oscar Wilde because he was a homosexual. Your situation .. read more
You've used some fantastic phrasing here, the last line being really powerful. Dark, potent, and evocative!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing.

Chris
fantastic write on the darkness of the cell. deep and heavy poetry you have here and well writen.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Prisons are deep and dark duck. Especially this old Victorian one standing near the centre of Readin.. read more
Deep intriguing write here, I enjoyed this

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

A different sort of poem for me Brandie Jade. I hope I gave you much to think about. Many thanks for.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

499 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 6, 2019
Last Updated on January 6, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing
Locket Locket

A Poem by Chris Shaw



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Questions Questions

A Poem by Chris Shaw


Love Smoke Love Smoke

A Poem by Paul Bell