Discontentment

Discontentment

A Story by Carole
"

I've experienced enough "Discontentment" to choke a horse. Haven't particularly enjoyed the ride. Though I am still learning, this has helped me. :-)

"

Photobucket

 

 

“Longings.  Coming face to face with the fact that there are empty places in our lives that haven’t been filled.  Yearnings.  Wanting more than we have:  more love, more enjoyment, more passion, more hope, more rest.  Cravings.  The hope of finding something that will satisfy the rumbling we feel in the stomach of our soul.”

Nicole Johnson

 

What in the world is the secret to contentment?  Is there one? It seems society is on a fast track of continual lust.  Are any of us really satisfied with what we have and what we don’t? I can think of countless times, I have uttered this simple statement to my Creator, disgruntled and disgusted: 

 

“What’s up with this anyway, God?  I didn’t sign up for this. This isn’t what I prayed for.  There has to be a mistake some where.  Let’s go over this whole thing with a fine tooth comb and see what we can come up with, shall we?”

 

Some cry and stuff their pain, some throw conniption fits, yell, curse, take it out on the pet or the next telemarketer, get depressed and stay in bed for days on end, write nasty letters and complain until the cows come home.  We’ve all done it.  Don’t act so innocent.  Who among us is perfect? 

 

I will have to admit something though.  Discontentment rots my bones and makes me miserable.  I can wallow in my pity party all day long and it accomplishes nothing...nada! 

 

Well known speaker and author Joyce Meyer gives a great piece of advice on this malady.  She said she sets a timer for 5 or 10 minutes and during that time she throws the biggest pity party she’s ever had.  She moans and groans and carries on probably at the top of her lungs.  But when that timer goes off, the lights of the party have been dimmed and she goes back to living life…without complaining.

 

The truth is, there will be plenty of things in this lifetime to whine about.  I’ve been offered more wine with my cheese than anybody, trust me, I have.   But continually throwing pity parties eventually starts to wear on you and on me.  The inner turmoil that goes a long with it is just plain excruciating. 

 

I’ve learned a simple three step plan to the secret of contentment that really works when I practice it.  And, I am a whole lot happier because of it!

 

 

1.  Don't Compete

2.  Don't Complain

3.  Don't Compare

 

 

    Before you turn up your nose, keep a mental note of these three things for a week.  Wear a rubber band around your wrist and give it a little snap every time you catch yourself doing one of the three. When you’re tempted to compete, complain or compare, try doing the opposite.

 

You just might be feeling a tad bit better by the end of the week. Do me a favor and let me know what your outcome is?  I’d love to hear about it. :-)

 

 

© 2009 Carole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You gave some good advice here. We do as americans complain about material things and what we don't have but want.

1. Don't Compete
2. Don't Complain
3. Don't Compare

Those are awesome rules. I will have to try that rubber band thing, it might work. We all have to remember that we don't NEED everything, just the nessacery stuff to get us through the day.

This was an amazing story, with great advice
Sarah



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

When I read the title of this piece and the first bit, I did not think I would agree with you because I am discontent all the time. I keep myself so for I believe that if I allow myself to feel contentment or satisfaction, especially with my work, it might make me relaxed and laidback and I may not strive for more. But the 'discontentment' you write about here is different from the 'discontentment' I understood it to be from the title. And after reading the entire piece, I have to agree with you. I somehow don't understand how one can go on whining about their circumstances endlessly. I am depressive and sensitive and I worry more than most people do. I do feel sad about things gone wrong but I never let myself feel pity for me. The moment you do that, you accept defeat. I hate sympathy. It makes me feel weaker than I am. It makes me 'want' to give up the fight even before I have started the fight.

Life is an enormous challenge and feeling sorry for oneself is not my strategy.

Stimulating write.


Posted 15 Years Ago


A very nice uplifting write. Well penned. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


Carole this is another great piece with an outstanding way to look at life. God bless.
Hugs Debby

Posted 15 Years Ago


I don't know that I believe competition is a bad thing, I mean, " All that run a race compete for a prize" but it certainly helps not to complain, again, I think comparison can be helpful and useful...one should hold up a mirror from time to time to see if our image meets our expectations I think. I like this piece regardless and if it relieves the stress of frustration, I say, go for it. Excellent write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Carole, does it work for chocolate and peanut butter the crunchy kind??? I feel insecure and I go and get a bite of something and then diet for days to get it off..Mentally unbalanced is what I feel like some times..Different but nice advice..Lol and God bless...Valentine

Posted 16 Years Ago


Carol....

Very true slce of human nature...
stirred up a mental rendition of the gospel song..." I won't complain"
Seems you and Joyce have devised a way through....

If we take a real look at Psalms.... it is a mix of praise and whining..
but... a faithful whining...David knew how to go before God ...with his praise and his problems.
we ALL do it !!!!

The key is in the obediance to force ourselves to get over ..."ourselves "and be obediant.
Victory is in praise ...we have to do it wether we feel-like-it...or not.

Paul....in speaking to the body of believers said..." be content in all circumstances"
If Daniel...Shadrack...Meeshack...and Abednego ( excuse the spelling ) ...ahd complained...nstead of
'praised' ... they would likely have been "crispy critters" ...nobody would have been impressed...God wouldn't have got his glory...and no one would have been drawn to Christ.

Good write Carol....

Blessssssssssssssssss





conniption

Posted 16 Years Ago


What a great advice - it is easy to get caught in the mire of difficult days and very hard to remember to let things go. This is such wonderful advice - very clever. Thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 16 Years Ago


A restless desire for something better, has been the theme of humanity, since the devil blindfolded our eyes to the truth.

We all need reminding of this from time to time and your excellent piece highlights our frailties quite appropriately.

I personally never complain about anything; only make suggestions. Unfortunately, most of these are physiological impossibilities! (only kidding)

Great share!

God's Blessing
Phillozofee

Posted 16 Years Ago


wonderful message, Carole. I am going to try your suggestions!

Posted 16 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Well said and skillfully done!

Posted 16 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

556 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 3, 2008
Last Updated on January 1, 2009

Author

Carole
Carole

Rio Rancho, NM



About
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore... And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..