The Other Side

The Other Side

A Story by Constance-Outspoken
"

Who Ever Heard of Twins?

"
A fierce October wind howled through the darkening woods, chilling the spectators to the bone. Yet, they stood, circling the chosen, staring with their eyes wide, piercing her facade of bravery. I became the exception, though it wasn't only the wind that made me shiver. Fate, Chance, Probability... "there but for the grace of God go I".

Yesterday had been unseasonably warm, yesterday's breeze had been inviting, as we gathered to play. Shelley had her yellow spring dress on, laughing and spinning with the young children, her smile a more dazzling shade than the dress. My sister has always been more kind-hearted, pleasant and beautiful than myself. I do not bother to envy her, only to love her.

"Kelly," she whispered before they called our names to stand before the Elders, "I have a bad feeling its going to be you. I pray it will be me instead." 

I never said a word. I could have told her I knew it SHOULD be me, that it HAD to be me, but I remained as silent as the surrounding pines, merely stared at my feet as though they had the answers.

I recall the coin hovering in midair, seeing that heads, my favored side, was about to show as the result. I willed it to turn again...

"THE OTHER SIDE!" I screamed inside my mind, "TAILS. MAKE IT TAILS!"

Fate never has answered to my pleading. Shelley was always the lucky one, the one God chose to listen to.

Twins... who ever heard of twins? The Elders said it was unlucky to have two with the same face, the same body, mirror images. They said one had to be the evil half, the other good, and the evil had to go. They do not see that fate has chosen wrong. Oh, but this night, they will. They will wish chance had taken the other side.

As Shelley falls to the ground, my mind sees only red, deeper than her pooling blood as the dagger at my ankle is unsheathed...


© 2010 Constance-Outspoken


Author's Note

Constance-Outspoken
My take on this week's given title for the 500 words Group.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

given an assignment, and therefore permission, you tend to tales of old darkness, buried...

Posted 14 Years Ago


Great concept, flawless execution!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Fantastic!!!! Leaves you wanting, demanding more. With 500 words you painted a extravagant picture in my head, Great job. This is something you really need to build on.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a great story that held my attention all the way through. the details are amazing and would love to hear the before and after. Great job. I don't know what I am going to write about yet. We shall see what I can come up with later tonight.

Posted 14 Years Ago


more!!!!!!! omg you cant leave me hanging! that was wonderful i absolutely loved it!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
5 Reviews
Added on March 15, 2010
Last Updated on March 15, 2010

Author

Constance-Outspoken
Constance-Outspoken

Who wants to know where I am, when who I am is all that matters?, KS



About
Meh. I write crap. I write crap because I've always been alone. more..

Writing