I Have Aspergers (Autism)

I Have Aspergers (Autism)

A Story by Shadow Walker
"

Aspergers Is one of those things I may be considered Autistic, I may not be able to Do multiplication and Long Division But By God I can Explain Quantom Physics to you.

"
Asperger syndrome (AS; an autistic disorder) is associated with impaired social skills and obsessional/repetitive behavior. Patients with autism have significant abnormalities in the frontal lobe and frontoparietal connectivity. Nobody has examined the relationship between abnormalities in the frontal and parietal lobes and clinical symptoms in people with AS. (Source The AMA "American Medical Association")

Asperger's Syndrome is a mild form of Autism. It affects mostly males and is believed to occur in between 0.36% and 0.71% of the population. Many who have Asperger's lead very successful lives in fields as diverse as music and higher education.

I am Twenty two years Old. I am Now A college student. Who like any college Student Has struggled with Grades. My Reason for Struggling for Grades is Different. My Reasons Is that I am Autistic. I am Considered A High Performing Autistic. With this said I am Going to tell you what Autism is Specifically Aspergers, and How it is To live with.

I would like to first tell you that I was Diagnosed at the ripe age of sixteen. Aspergers Is not a disease nor is it a handicap. It is A Syndrome and or a Disorder. In This Case Aspergers Falls on what We call the Autistic Spectrum. And In this Case Aspergers Are High Functioning, Meaning That Are Brains Are wired A Bit Different than Normal Brains.

Since Our Brains are wired differently People With Aspergers will find it harder to do certain task and learn Certain things. Such as I at the age of 22 Cannot do multiplication or even Long Division without the use of a calculator. You may go well I know other people who are like that. Well with this come some social disorders such as Holding your most basic conversation. Which Most people Find Easy to do Is not easy. We have trouble with. Also we may find it hard to share with other people. Some people with Aspergers are even very clumsy.

People With this disorder, like me find it hard to understand or even comprehend basic simple things, At the same time though we are Extremely Intelligent. At the same Time For example When Taking a test our brains process in a very technical precise analytic manner. I give you an example when I test A simple question that would be simple to you on an exam or quiz, to me my brain processes that question then if the quiz or exam is multiple choice finds either several answers to the question in which in some cases I have found out through professors, that I am correct. But also at times puts a mental Block in my brain And I just Draw a Blank.

People At times mistake me epically teachers in high school and even some of my colleges professors, Have either Treated me like I have a handicap, or have asked if I can even Handle the course work. We are not Handicapped, Our brains are wired so differently that are brains process things so differently than most people could even comprehend.

Another thing with Aspergers is some social disorders that I mentioned before. For Example I sometimes Will take things Way to seriously, Such as comments made by other people. It is something that I have to over time teach myself that There just kidding. And this has taken time trust me.

Another good example is With Aspergers the person will find themselves doubting their capabilities. ON what they can do or even if they could ever do it. I have done this so many times its not even funny. When I was younger some of my teachers even told me that College would probably not be in my future. That made me so mad that I vowed to disprove them, and I am.

There are people out there with Aspergers who are very successful. Some have contributed To leading breakthrough's In modern Medicine, and Science, Art, Government, And Literature. Some People you may eve know Leonardo Da Vinci, Earnest Hemingway, and many many others.

So there you have it now maybe this will help all of you who have ever wondered why I am the way that I am. Why I think the way i think. This will explain some of my flaws that you guys put up with.

© 2010 Shadow Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really learned a lot from this story. I hope God blesses you.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 20, 2010
Last Updated on January 20, 2010

Author

Shadow Walker
Shadow Walker

Willoughby, OH



About
I am a Line cook, nursing student, , a Writer, Poet, and I am a Romancer. I was Raised to be very open minded and that I am my views and my feelings are like no other. I believe to live life to the f.. more..

Writing