Question One...

Question One...

A Story by Aehr

The final examination paper was right before me. First question : Write an essay on any one of the three topics in about 250 to 300 words.

 

The first topic was related to safety and first aid, which was completely out of question for me. The second was something about the worst situation that has ever taken place with me. Nope! Didn’t ring any bells at all! But the third topic… well, that caught my attention.

 

Question. What do you want to do for a career?

 

Answer. I’m in 8th grade. First I wanted to be a super model. Then, a successful singer. Then, an actress. Then a photographer, then a writer, then a UNICEF representative. This is only what I WANT to have for a career. I’m interested in a whole lot of other things. Styling a celebrity, Greek Mythology, the past and the future, magic, writing, myth, dreams, stars, planets, celestial bodies, water, air, colours, designing clothes, interior designing, acting, astronomy/astrology, researching on unusual topics, psychology, human and child behavior, art, art direction, mystery, CID, investigation, fairy tales, superstitions, and a whole lot of other things.

 

Out of these, I have no way to choose what I want to do. I want to do... everything at a go! People say that I have to be focused in what I want to do.  It scares me. Science subjects are interesting, and I’m good at them. Arts subjects are very interesting and I am as good in them too. My calculative intelligence is on a below-average status. Many people have suggested for me to try out St. Stephen’s College, Delhi, which is the best known College in India. For entering St. Stephens, my school results need to be exceptionally good. And to have good results, I need to be focused on the one thing which I want to do. I often get the example of my aunt (who is like a sister to me) because she is successful and has always known what she has to do. 

 

It’s really frustrating, especially when you have people around nudging you to take mathematics as a subject for your senior studies, (and those nudging are your near and dear family members) and there is no Humanities group in your academic institution. So you are compelled to take science subjects, even if you don’t want to go in a medical line.

 

It seemed pretty easy when I had goals like being a singer or a super model, and I took them seriously. Still living in my fantasy world. But as seventh grade passed, the doorway to that fantasy world began to close. And I didn’t realize that it would be the last year for really having fun. As I entered 8th grade, it was like a nuclear bomb.

 

 Boom! Welcome to the world of being practical and thinking about the future. Oh! And your past full of beliefs and fairy tales and fun? We just sealed the door to that!

 

So, I don’t really have an answer to questions like ‘What do you aim for in life?’ or ‘What do want to do when you grow up?’. All I really know, is that I’ll do my best to try out EVERYTHING while I still have the time. So that I’ll really know what I want to do when the right time comes, when the final hour arrives. That’s all I know. 

© 2012 Aehr


Author's Note

Aehr
This is not really a story, but there wasn't any option for essays, so I had to write it as a story. Just some thoughts on what I want to do in life. This story is true, and not one thought is made up in the essay. I really have all this going on in my head right now and I have no clue of what I'm going to do.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wanted to be a veterinarian from 4th grade through my sophomore year of high school when I flunked geometry. Then I decided I would be a rock musician since I wrote poetry, and played a couple of instruments. Sigh. I went to college for a couple of years, got a job, got married, had kids, went back to college and now I am an accountant. I did however at the encouraging of wonderful people here at the Cafe - publish a novel in 2008. So even though I am in my 40's I still want to be "something" when I grow up. I am working on six different novels now and I write poetry. Its ok to have lots of dreams. It keeps you going.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

Dreams are awesome :-)
A very interesting story. Being young and many things on your mind. Hard to pin down thoughts and actions. When you are young. I tell the young people. Enjoy life and do your best. Life is long and we will make a thousand mistakes. I hope you did good on your report.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

my maths report, sir?
I have my maths paper tomorrow, and I'v done to my level. I hope I do o.. read more
Trust me, this dilemma is going to get worse as you grow up. I'm in Plus One and I have no clue what I'm going to do. But I'm pretty clear on what I'm NOT going to do: medicine, engineering, IAS, anything related to maths/physics.

Sometimes it's good to be a rebel. You can't always dance to your parents' and relatives' tunes - it's your life to live and you have to make the decisions. This will sound extremely cliched, but "Follow your heart" is the only advice I've to give you.

I really loved the way you asserted yourself in the last paragraph. Good luck, and keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

okay.. this is weird, but what you're NOT going to do, is exactly what I'm NOT going to do as well! .. read more
Zainab UF

11 Years Ago

Nice to know that there are people straying off the beaten path. :)
Aehr

11 Years Ago

lol :P
I hated those question essays lol this brings back memories

Posted 11 Years Ago


The world is yr oyster, hard to choose. Good write

Posted 11 Years Ago


Perhaps asking what it is you want as a career isn't about you knowing what you want, so much as it is about making you think about it. A goal it seems to have accomplished very well. Thanks for letting us in your head for a while.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

lol.. welcome...
It's good, I really hope that you can figure out what you want to do.. To tell you the truth, I ddnt knw what to do until my junior year of high school.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

its exactly the same case as me
deepblue04

11 Years Ago

Well... I wish best of luck on it
Aehr

11 Years Ago

thanks again!
I like your story essay thingy....(I don't really know what to call it) XD anyways, I get your point. People always telling you to know what you want to do and be perfect at it. I think I know what I want to be, but I don't really know. I mean, I'm only 13! give me a break! let me think it over people! :P anyway, great write and I will continue reading your work! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

thanks abbie
Abbie

11 Years Ago

your welcome! I thought it was great! :)
Hahah jeez, it brings back so many memories during the exams periods! Scary moments!
This "kinda story" is very well writen and very true!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aehr

11 Years Ago

thank you!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Oh lord! Don't remind me:) eighth grade sorta crushes everything but /education/ doesn't it? Haha, I'm on the same boat, I have no idea what I want to be myself... Let's hope the fog clears up and I see a path soon! I loved the depth and wisdom in this piece. Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


AK

11 Years Ago

Well, we get trained to write that exam. Like they teach us the type of questions that will be asked.. read more
Aehr

11 Years Ago

oh.. actually, i've never heard of that taking place in my school. its really nice they train us for.. read more
AK

11 Years Ago

Yes:)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

474 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2012
Last Updated on July 8, 2012

Author

Aehr
Aehr

Aspiring for fearlessness



About
Trying to keep my words alive. Find me on Instagram: aehr_x more..

Writing
Broken Walls Broken Walls

A Poem by Aehr


Silver. Silver.

A Poem by Aehr


Swansong Swansong

A Poem by Aehr



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Weird Change A Weird Change

A Poem by Aehr


Oh Rain Oh Rain

A Poem by Aehr


Years In Wait Years In Wait

A Poem by Aehr