A Brush With the Supernatural

A Brush With the Supernatural

A Story by Jessica Fox
"

I seem to be a beacon for dead people and animals and have had premonitions at times this is just a story one one of my experiences that I have had with well spirits

"

       I have gone through life always looking over my shoulder and trying to assure myself that it is my own paranoia, which gives me the feeling that I am being watched. For the longest time I had a fear of graveyards as well, I didn’t like the paranormal and honestly I was perfectly fine with not having anything to do with it. I don’t exactly know what changed though somewhere along the line I started accepting the fact that I would hear things others could not, see things, they couldn’t and yes even feel and smell things that others couldn’t. I have had quite a few experiences but I would have to say my most memorable experiences have been when I lived Allamuchy (pronounced AL LAH MOO CHI) off of Shades of Death Road.

            Yes there is actually a road called that, right by Ghost Lake surrounded my Jenny Jump Forest. Creepy right? Exactly well it just gets weirder and weirder folks and believe me I can write all day on the stuff that happened when I explored the woods, the lake at night, and even the road itself. But right now this is just going to focus on my little home that I lived in on Bear Creek road. My house was situated on 40 acres and most of it was swampland. Once upon a time during the late 1700’s my house used to be an old farmhouse, it even had the old fashioned bread warmer and a huge walk in brick fire place. I used to explore the grounds in search of a family grave plot but never really found one. The basement of the house also had a huge fireplace in it and some other weird little nooks and crannies but the basement; the strangest thing was as one went down the stairs there was a whole room on the other side of the stairs but it was blocked off with stones.

            After my house was a farmhouse it was then turned into a tavern/hotel, so one can imagine the whole life of that house experiencing some interesting times during that period, and then sometime in 1950 it was converted into a two family house. Now my little house was old and creepy to begin with and the first time I walked into it I was overwhelmed with grief and would cry for weeks after I moved in. Then I had to walk down into the basement and frankly one could not PAY me to go in that basement, every time I went down there I kept seeing an old woman that was twisted and disfigured sitting by the one fireplace down there, the ceiling was low and it was always 20 degrees colder down there, except by the fire place, which didn’t work anymore, that always threw off heat. I refused to go near where the woman was because there was just an air of animosity emanating from her, but I suppose if I were locked and exiled in that basement then I would be kind of angry too. So it was her living down there alone and I kept hearing someone say, “Rose stop doing that we will give you your food, no it isn’t too cold you have the fire.” There was always the smell of lavender and wood as well from that part of the basement.

            Now for the other side that was walled up, I had my theories and they were all pretty nonsensical, like buried treasure, some sort of secret, so on and so forth. Not only was the old lady creepy but after awhile I just sort of ignored her and she stopped trying to get my attention, (at this point in time I was in tune with the ghosts but not to the point in which I am now). I wouldn’t go in the basement I refused to but it appeared that I had to go and check it out because there was always something going on with the electricity or the heat or even the hot water heater would just up and stop for no reason, so I would have to help my father with that. I started noticed a strange smell coming from the wall, there were bricks that had broken away and one could see a built up pile of rubble like the room collapsed on itself. The smell could have been just from years of being closed up and then finally the bricks started falling away, but no it was a mixture of fresh dirt like from a grave, rotting food, something dead (that could be dead mice, bats, rats whatever) and a cold wind always blew from that room. I think I was more afraid of that room than I was of Rose and her disfigurement.

            I honestly thought I smelled dead animals and so I asked the neighbors if they smelled anything from the basement they just said lavender and wood, but nothing rotting, I was the only one smelling death. Then there were the cries, a pitiful cry like someone was trapped in there and they kept scratching the stones and brick to get out and they were crying to get out. What really sealed the deal on me never going back to the basement again was one night when the power went out and I had to go down there to do something, I had a maglite and noticed Rose wasn’t around, that was odd because no matter what she was always around and I have gotten used to her being there. I turned and saw a face looking at me from the hole, it was a pale bloated face and it was gasping at me. Of course I screamed like a little girl and would have run back upstairs but I dropped my flashlight and needed to pick that up and go past the face that was staring at me. The eyes were all bloodied and they kept following me, when I walked past the face it felt like someone was gripping me and then it felt like someone was gripping my throat. I told my mother she went downstairs and she said nothing was out of the ordinary, there was a dead cat by the furnace but that was it. I told her I was by the furnace and didn’t see a dead cat.

            So a few nights later I forgot all about the creepy face from the basement and decided to just get on with it and forget about it. I was getting ready to crawl into bed and then the room grew really cold not as dramatic as the movie Sixth Sense but enough to actually notice the difference, I thought since it was winter the furnace must have stopped working or something, for that reason I had a small heater in my room to supplement the heat, but both heaters were blasting out hot air, I turned and saw something hanging in what I called the “dog room”, it was a shape hanging from the beams in there and I noticed that my dogs for once were not in there, it was also colder in that room than the other. It turned out someone committed suicide in my room and they decided to show themselves on the anniversary of their hanging.

            There have also been children crying in the crawl space in my parent’s room, chickens in the back field when there were no chickens around, the sound of horses (and sound carries out there but not that well) I have also seen two people just walking around in the field in the dead of night. Halloween was a real trip because it was just a hot bed of paranormal activity in that area, the barn was also another spot I didn’t want to go in there was an old tractor which I refused to touch and I just kept hearing laughing weird creepy laughing from the barn.

            Now none of that stands there, some fat cat bought the property and knocked down the house and barn and rolled over a little pet graveyard that was there, he told us when he kicked us and the neighbors out that he was going to farm the land and build a house for his son, that was six years ago, the property still sits there untouched. I’m pretty sure that when he knocked down that place and dug up the pet graveyard he pissed off some spirits, because the land hasn’t even been farmed on it is mowed but that is about it. I drive by sometimes and feel a lot of energy coming from that place and I get out of there as fast I as I got there because it is a lot of negative energy. I do suppose my theory could be right that when he knocked down their home he had a lot of disturbed and angry spirits that didn’t want him to touch that property anymore. Who knows, but again that is just one of my experiences with the supernatural.

© 2008 Jessica Fox


Author's Note

Jessica Fox
I'll edit it later, but yes this is a real life ghost story

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! this is creepy I have had some supernatural experiences myself...so this hits quite home for me...although I do have to say it is creepy at first the nvery intersting..The supernatural are a very good subject to study live.....Great Job on telling this experience...=)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 5, 2008

Author

Jessica Fox
Jessica Fox

City of Fallen Angels, NJ



About
Check out my new Booksie Site booksie site The new single Automatic by Tokio Hotel I'm on Twitter, so yeah if you want to follow me just go here to follow my Twitter Please order our new book The.. more..

Writing