Communist Ant Farm Blues

Communist Ant Farm Blues

A Poem by Baby Ricochet
"

Just go with it

"
Red ants are natures communists
Although it's all passe 
They missed the cold war KO count
When Reagan saved the day 
Reagan was an earmark aardvark 
who made a sucking sound 
When he slurped up communists
he found with ultrasound 
The communists ran to and fro 
away from Reagan's tongue
He made the scene on Kremlin dreams 
and suckered everyone
He slurped up all the communists
and said my work is done 
America is crowning king
We're good for everyone 
We rode a right wing crescent wave
towards a golden shore 
Was promised dreams like movie scenes 
from Reagan's rapture yore 
Then out of old Afghanistan 
a gang of termites rose
They started eating everything 
From banks to Buffalos
They flew the Ayatollah's dream 
into the towers sky
Exterminate the caliphate 
became our battle cry
We bombed out all their mountain caves
They scampered far and wide 
They held out for sharia dreams
Our victory denied 
They spread across the crescent lands
within the words they said
A vengeful ideology
The hate they said they spread
Termites are natures terrorists 
The curse of old Yahweh 
Seeds of defeat in what they eat
They'll never go away 

© 2014 Baby Ricochet


Author's Note

Baby Ricochet
This poem has two parts. Ronald Reagan was the president of my childhood. My memories of him have as much to to do with the grownups in my family gushing over him than anything he actually did in office. Whenever he came on TV there was an awed hush in the house as everyone gathered to bask in his warmth of his UV glow. In my little boy mind he was more God like than presidential. I was eight when he left office and I was genuinely upset by his departure. My mother had to explain to me how elections and term limits worked. (Seriously. I was that tuned into Reagan's effect on my family, hence the nation. Goes a long way in explaining why I'm such a hardcore political wonk nowadays. Well, that and the war I got sent to.)Though Reagan didn't have a whole lot to do with it he was in the right place at the right time when the Soviet Union packed it in. He got more credit than he probably deserved for that but hey, he's Reagan. Love him or hate him he's an American legend. That's why Reagan is the conservative patron saint. There's no doubt he had a certain something and yes, despite his horrendous legacy, back in the day he was one hell of a President. (at least he is in my childhood memories) Anyway, When I turned eighteen I joined the Marine corps. Mostly to get out of the crappy little town I was born in. My oldest brother was in the army so I went with the corps to prove I was tougher than he was. I know that's a stupid reason to do anything but when you're eighteen you got beaver to bang and shit to prove. (I learned that saying in the Corps. SURPRISE!) 9/11 happened and we got deployed. First to Afghanistan then to Iraq. Once wasn't enough for Iraq so we got deployed there twice. I could have lived without all 3 but I'm stuck with my history now so what am i gonna do? Figure it all out I guess. It goes without saying the "war on terror" had an enormous impact on my life. Something I'll be working out for several life times I'm sure. I'm not so sure I want to come back here though. This is one fucked up planet. That's for sure.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I guess some things shall never be understood - I like the courage here and the strength x

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thank you Ruth
Colorful politics in your poem, enhanced by your own style of witty humor and the stark irony of drawing parallels between pests and politics and not giving in to the urge to call everyone in it a pest. Humorous and a very rich backstory to beat. Well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thank you Tai
Awesome write, sir. Rich in politics and dripping with the 80's. I like how you did this one, very very creative.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

thanks for stopping by
Politicians aka insects/parasites. this was well put together.

Regards
Troy

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thanks troy
Wether intentional or not i think this is a great representation of modern society.... and i loved every line of it..
counjours up a very clear image of nature at its best

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thank you ama may
I felt this, each biting sting of it. You sir have carved a mountain of a poem out of an ant hill. This was great. I really enjoyed this today.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it
A messed up planet, in large part due to the insects that inhabit it, as your poem shows. If Dr. Seuss had been political, and had an edge, he still would not tell it quite like you do, Mark.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thank you Rita
You're always too clever Baby...creepy crawlers and the jungle of political history, only you could think this one up...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thank you frieda
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Always a treat Mark...
I like how the poem sounds and it's structure but comparing people to ants and saying that America slurped them away just makes the poem go down in my eyes. After all human beings are all equally important no matter if your beliefs differ.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thanks for stopping by
Hi Ric, I really liked this a lot (as a college history instructor, you can imagine) - I also grew up with Reagan and found your poem thoughtful, true, and a bit nostalgic. I hope you are well.
-x-

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

I'm okay. It's good to hear from you Rosalind

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

446 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2014
Last Updated on July 7, 2014

Author

Baby Ricochet
Baby Ricochet

Tampa, FL



About
I write just for the hell of it A way to spend some time Blurting out in cyber space Whatever's on my mind Maybe funny maybe tragic Emotional and raw Politi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..