A Monkey Joes for the Weekend

A Monkey Joes for the Weekend

A Story by T.C Matthews

The dome, they've collaborated into triangles. Broadcasting its faint neon spectrum down the busy patrons. Flashy shop outlets were orbiting near the artificial bloated star. All supported on a thin conveyor belt. Panels briefly flashed inappropriate Japanese Ukiyo-e figures in mildly suggestive poses. Must be another hacker at it again. Me and Elisa were at Monkies, sat in it’s chrome chequered floors and red-rimmed serving tables. An oblong servant bot flew here emitting it’s terrible screech. I winced, scratching the fluff of my cheeks hair.   

“Please give me your orders!” Its speech was sizzling out of control, almost like a impediment. Elisa's eyes were wishing to boil the server bot. “This is ridiculous, I want a human waiter!” Her brows swamped straight to her scowl. “No discrimination allowed with your orders.” Without thinking, I've compiled the tacky retro menus and crossing out a few names with the tips of my fingers. I fed it through the bot’s discard slot, causing it to rattle in a stationed frenzy. “One Grizzly’s Double Stacker, A Molly Fruitie and two Amazonian’s party slush. Thank you for your patronage.” The bot backed out while Elisa marinated her sigh. Patting them to the tight vacuum. 

“Bots for A.I rights. Please, we don’t need another band of idiots polluting our planet! We don't even know if they are sentient.” “Please keep your voice down. I just want to relax so no politics when’s the sun’s up.” But right towards the busy platform, there’s a murmuring of heli-cops crowded by numerous protesters. The bots were showing an animation of Elone Muskal; a repeat of his daily rhetoric. I’m glad today’s animators are doing well for themselves. “Acceptance of all life cannot start if we don’t accept our unprivileged metal friends.” or “Our country won’t erode against the reparations. Cuts will be made to prove our resilience as a nation.” Were his usual talking points. The fluorescent scan-lines of those budgeted monitors offends my eyes. Eliza then proceeds to scratch her cheek hairs. “Well, it looks like you can’t escape it one way or the other.” My lower lips pouted like a puppy dog.   

“I’m sorry honey, I’m just gobsmacked with the current climate. I know you don’t like those kind of things but when I see they give a job to a toy manufactured for some 10 year old. All in the name of tolerance and affirmative action. Then. When does human life matter? Our lives?” I rolled my eyes. Crashing my head down to both of my forearms. A lone heli-cops began venture to where we sat. It caught our deary selves and thought it could advertise to us. Mr Muskal googly-eyes sway side to side. I moaned and Elisa chucked “Guess these bots heard your complaining. Maybe they do have a conscience.”

The heli-cop started to scatter sparks. Startling me and Elisa. It’s monitor teared a macabre tape down it’s Mr. Muskal's face. His face glitches, tormenting his facial features to horrible extremities. His eyes bulge to pine-cones and his teeth jagged through his skin. Elisa screeched. The president proxy can't contain it's cancerous deformities. The blinds then closed out the horror. Thank god. “Sorry about that, please continue dining.” Elisa was panting, hysterically so. “See, these things aren’t reliable. They are out to get us. Please can we leave now. I don’t feel safe.” I can hear a cacophony of malice outside. Before the blinds were closed, my peripheral caught a few masked anons. The tension's sneaking through the binds, mimicking the specks of dust. So close to us normal people sitting here trying to eat. 

The waiter, a human seemingly, presented us with our meals. He had a badge in support of the Muskal political party. Elisa’s molly was laid pitifully to her left elbow while the burger slide itself to the middle of me. The slush were stationed between each of our meals. “Please enjoy.” The waiter walked out, his arms are kinda rigid. Maybe it’s an android. Elisa,  arms now crossed while her eyes were pleading. “Honey, my hairs are sticking right up right now.” Elisa shows her right arms, all of her hairs were stood on it’s delicate root. This isn't good. “Yeah, let’s go. What the hell.” We both decided it’s best to exit through the back. 

Me and Elisa managed to reach our apartment complex. We both partied ways at the hallway. Elisa decided to shower all the sweat and grease of our afternoon. I've picked up the remote and switch to the MNB news. Immediately the graphic confirms Elisa’s dread. Causalities around the same Monkies joint we’ve been. It might had said there were deaths but I've switched the T.V off too quick. I began to go into a deep concentration. Can I handle this for the next couple of years? The tension only grows worse and worse each day. And the debt, what about about the national debt!? Me and Elisa barely escaped this month's payment let alone today's riot.

But I've remembered. There was a green heart-shaped box placed down at the coffee table. The one I’ve brought two days ago in a crazed impulse. I’ve opened the seductive package. Only to be greeted by a marble device. Slotted lovingly in it’s own crater. Only a singular button sticks out of it's smooth sphere. It was glossed cherry colour #108. I pushed it. 

The button began to hiss a pastel vapor, training it to my toes and eventually to my head. My toes dilapidated into tiny hexagons. All dissolving into the room. Eventually, every biological system I had would be gone and I can’t wait. “Excuse me.” That high-pitched voice came from below. Looking to see it came from the glossy marble. Oh what now? “It appears you haven’t got the needed document to enter this suicide pact. We can’t perished together if we don’t have your official permission. You should have signed this document once you’ve purchased me!” Oh that’s right, I walked straight out that store without doing all the procedures. I think I’ve forgotten my receipt too.“I’ve got feelings too you know. I was looking forward to it human!” So was I little bot. So was I.     

© 2018 T.C Matthews


Author's Note

T.C Matthews
A really experimental (with dumb plot-holes and possible grammar mistakes) flash fiction I've been trying to write. It might turn into a longer story if I'm still interested in it. Really frustrating to write as it's initially was a 500 word self-imposed challenge for tumblr. But it grew overtime and I wanted to wrap it up. Can you believe this was inspired by music from a video game. Please enjoy and comment your reviews if you wish.

Here's the heinous songs in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5bUpJ5mGoI&t=89s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igD79HZ1Qo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QfMDkKpOBQ&t=41s

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on April 5, 2018
Last Updated on April 30, 2018
Tags: vapourwave, retro-futurism, robots, robot rights, diner, silly politics, why did I write this?, monkeys, experimental

Author

T.C Matthews
T.C Matthews

United Kingdom



About
Trying to be the best writer I can be =) more..

Writing