NIGHT 365

NIGHT 365

A Story by Dr.Vishnu
"

A Frustrated doctor in the ER finds hope and love on the worst night imaginable.

"

Working on December 31st Night. This is the devil of all sentences, but unfortunately I am saying it now. I have to work on one of the most celebrated nights of the year. So, obviously I am frustrated and zapped with bad energy, right? And still no one understands why I am edgy today. My friends are going to the Infamous New-Year DJ event at the WhiteHorse. Boozing, Dancing & the Debauchery of Drooling over girls merely scrape the surface of it. It’s going to be Legendary there tonight. Of course it will be because I won’t be there. Instead, I would be babysitting half-treated, alienated patients in the ER. Yeah, I am an intern at that Government hospital you all know. In rotation, it’s my turn to do the casualty duty now. So, the gates to hell are opening early for me tonight.

 

                                                                 *

 

“Dude, are you sure you can’t come? Not even a Rain check?” My non-medical childhood friend asked me sincerely. He doesn’t know the saint life of doctors- we don’t have time for fun in life. I must be f-ing stupid to choose this course, but he chose well. B-tech! Happy, productive and festive life.

“No,” I answered abruptly.

“Come on, man. Rajkumar is going to be there. You love him.” He stressed the name Rajkumar, one of the celebrity guests in that event, because he knows that I would go head over heels for that guy. Yes, I am a huge fan of the star; why wouldn’t I? He is a very good actor and the most charming guy I’ve ever seen.

“Don’t shove it in my face, Arun.” I warned him.

“Hey, I had to ask. We always give one last push, right!” Arun replied grabbing his wallet.

“Whatever man. Just don’t forget to get me his autograph, Okay?” I asked handing him my card.

Arun took my card and replied, “Yeah, sure man. If I get a chance I would not miss it. See you then, Bye!” he disappeared into the night soon after.

I grabbed my not-so-white coat and the stethoscope, to my own journey to the hospital in my bike. The streets are crowded with the Celebrators of the Night immersed in shopping for cakes, bouquets and well, alcohol.

 

                            *

 

        The clocks hit 10 pm. There are two patients in the ER, far away from each other. One emergency surgeon and two nurses are giving me company for tonight. I sat there wondering how it would’ve been if I went to the party. Nisha will be there and she would think that I am the coolest guy ever and probably fall for me again. Oh ya, by the way, Nisha is my Ex. We broke up a year ago on a long lasted debate. I don’t want to go through the whole story, but in a gist, she was exhausted with me and she needed a break from all this. I am not sure if the break up is my fault, but I am sure she went to the party tonight. How I am so sure? Because she is also a big fan of Rajkumar. In fact that was how we both met; in a Rajkumar’s film. Only if I could be there at the party, she could see how I changed and how cool I am.

      An Hour passed by. Nothing changed. Arun will be having a blast in WhiteHorse for sure. At least I hope he gets me an autograph. The beds in ER started to fill slowly. Drunken idiots that fell off their bikes are getting my attention after all. I treated them, cursing under my breath.

    It was 12AM. New Year- the ball dropped. We exchanged wishes with each other and also with the patients. A minute later, everyone including me is screaming wishes over the mobiles. I whatsapped wishes to some ‘keep- in- touch’ kind of friends. Half an hour later, when the cloud of network congestion melted, I got a disappointing message from Arun.

  Couldn’t get the autograph. Sorry man. The event rocked though!’

I texted back quickly, ‘Try to get it at the car while he is leaving.

I waited for a good ten minutes before I got a reply. ‘He is gone already.’

 The night won’t get bitter than this. I muttered every expletive known to man and slumped on to the chair. Give me a break god, like the one you gave to Nisha.

 

                          *

 

      A Commotion inside the ER woke me up from my short nap. I walked to the sprawling group of people, peeping over one another at the patient in the bed. The Nurse emerged out of the group, shouting at the people to move away.

“Sir, please come fast!” she screamed at me. I sprinted towards the bed, and the group swayed away to lead me in to the Patient. I understood why even the other patients are interested in him. It is none other than the Great Rajkumar. I stood there shocked, as his body guards tore the group away with force to allow Rajkumar some ventilation. Ironically, he is not breathing. The nurses connected him to the monitor. Spo2 hovered at 30, pulse and Heart rate down to 20. Blood pressure isn’t likeable as well. ‘Is he dead?’ I am not sure if someone said this, but I am wondering myself.

“It is an accident sir. We were coming from WhiteHorse, and another car suddenly jumped on us from the front. The air bags deployed at Rajkumar and he collapsed there itself.” Rajkumar’s manager is stammering out of fear. “All the other hospitals in the vicinity are closed. So we rushed him here!”

“Sir, what do you think?” A nurse is asking the Emergency surgeon, who stood as clueless as me.

“We have to arrange for CT scan quickly,” he said, forgetting that he is almost dead here. The other nurse started establishing an IV line and her hands are steady as a rock. She didn’t care for the celebrity status; she is just doing her Job fearless.

Seeing her, I regained some confidence; I tried to forget he was a superstar, and started treating him as just another patient. Like lighting, then it hit me- his medical condition. He said in an interview that he couldn’t smoke cigarettes in the movie because he was diagnosed recently with COPD. That means he might be having damaged lung tissue. And because of the air bags, blunt force to chest, the tissue collapsed. So, most probably this is Tension-Pneumothorax. The Thought was complete, and I didn’t care to explain this to the surgeon. I grabbed the 10cc syringe, unhooked the plunger, and drove the needle between his ribs into the pleural cavity. ‘Needle Decompression Technique!’ A sudden sharp rise in the heart beat told me that it was indeed a Pneumothorax. His chest shaped up, and his breathing improved. The Emergency surgeon stared at me, until I told him why I did this on impulse. I heaved a sigh of relief, as the manager slowly comprehended that Rajkumar might live after all. The surgeon took him to the Operation Theatre and proceeded to put a chest tube in him. I stayed back to supervise the ER, and then Rajkumar’s manager met me.

“You are amazing, doctor. I don’t know what would have happened to me, if this went other way,” The manager said with thankful eyes. “You literally saved Rajkumar from death. He and I owe you for that.”

I gave the most clichéd answer ever, “It’s my job!”

“You are a real hero, sir.” The Nurse also offered her flattery. “If you are not here tonight, he would have died, sir.”

“What do you mean?” I asked confusingly. 

“Only because you are a fan, you knew about his condition. So you were able to diagnose it quickly.” She said. “Imagine a Non fan in your place, sir. We can’t say he could diagnose it as quickly as you.”

I thought about that. In fact, any other quick witted doctor could diagnose it the same, but she was right about one thing. Right place- Right Time- Right Person. Who knows what could have happened if I am not here. I was grim all day because I couldn’t meet Rajkumar, and now he is here. I even saved him. I saved a person using my quick judgement. This thought of saving someone is giving me the bliss of lifetime. This feels like the purest form of happiness, because nothing can taint this now. For the first time in my life, I felt great for something I’ve done.

I just saved Rajkumar.  The line is reverberating in my mind. Bliss in being a doctor.

“Hi,” Nisha’s voice interrupted the loop. I looked up to find the most beautiful girl (Use my eyes) in front of me. IT IS NISHA. What the ..?

“Nisha, what are you doing here?” I stood up, shocked to the core.

“I..uh..I was following Rajkumar to his home from Whitehorse. I saw his accident from distance and I followed them here.” Nisha spoke in her mesmerising tone. “The security didn’t allow me inside. So I had to use your name to come inside. I am sorry about that.”

“That’s fine Nisha. It’s uh..fine,” I searched for words to speak.

“The Nurse told me you saved Rajkumar’s life. That’s super awesome.” She smiled. I smiled back awkwardly. “So, how is he now? All fine?” she asked.

So, it’s only about Rajkumar then!

“Yeah, of course.” I replied. “He will stay the same and can act fine, if that’s what you’re asking.”

She giggled gracefully. Even that little giggle churned up a blizzard inside my heart. She is wearing a purple long sleeved- summer frock that matched perfectly with her necklace studded with purple stones. The image sent a nostalgic chill in my back. I am compelled to say I still love you, but I held back the tug.

“I was hoping to find you at the party, you know. I thought you would come and then I met Arun.” She said.

“Yeah, I couldn’t come, you know…” I blabbered.

“He was trying to get an autograph for you, right?” she said. “Of course you could take a photo with Rajkumar now…”

“Uh..no, Nisha.” I said abruptly. “I don’t feel like taking anything from him. I just saved a person you know. I don’t care about a stupid autograph anymore.” The words came out unwillingly. She wanted to say something, yet I continued, “Earlier, I regretted not coming to the party, but now, I think I made the right choice. I am just loving this moment, Nisha. And you being here, made it much more exciting.”

Nisha paused for a few seconds and said, “Hmmm, Arun said that you have changed very much since last year. I didn’t believe him.” And then again there is a pause.

“Is there a But coming?” I asked.

 “Yeah, there is.” She replied with a smile. “Happy New Year hero. You deserve it.”

“Thanks, Nisha.” I think I felt that lost spark between us once again. But this time, I will take it slow.

 

 So far, the New Year is good to me…I think I’m back with Nisha and I also tasted some real bliss. Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too people. I only wish the best for you!!!

 

                         *

FEW DAYS LATER:

The debate was heating up about who should do the Casualty duty for the Sankranthi Festival. Ashok, Ramu and Anil were pushing each other into that Morning duty they don’t want.

“I have to go the temple that day, man. Give me a break” Ramu said.

“What about me? There is a big Pooja arranged at my house, man. My parents will kill me if I won’t attend that.” Anil isn’t backing either.

“I don’t care guys. I did the duty on Christmas last year, so I am not doing it.” Ashok said.

I know that these arguments and counter-arguments are not ending anytime soon. I did the duty on 31st night, and that’s why they aren’t asking me. But as I saw their group discussion, I couldn’t handle it anymore.

“I will do it!” I yelled out loud. They all looked at each other surprisingly; Even though not apparent, I am sure they lightened up inside. “I will do that duty guys, alright!”

Because who knows what good comes out of it!

 

                         *

© 2015 Dr.Vishnu


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

869 Views
Added on January 3, 2015
Last Updated on January 3, 2015

Author

Dr.Vishnu
Dr.Vishnu

Tirupathi, India



About
Writing is My Passion..Its the everyday breath I live through by.. more..

Writing