21st century

21st century

A Poem by eglantine

It's the age of fast food
and protected sex.

We wear the skin of
young stars and flaunt
our mundane lives as if
they were universes,
thinking someone, God perhaps,
actually cared what class
got canceled or how drunk
we were last night.

We've lobotomized ourselves
like lobsters--eyes-first
into boiling water,
our flesh tender
and craving acceptance.

We follow needles,
whether in a clock or syringe,
because something
(faith, work, drugs)
has to fuel our mannequins.

We carve into ourselves
searching for the one gear
that will turn the world
in our favor. But blood
is red, space is black
and stars are silver
surgical tools.

© 2012 eglantine


Author's Note

eglantine
instead of "actually cared what class" in second stanza, should it be "actually gave a fuck about what class"

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My fave from your "recents". It didn't sound cocky or presumptuous though the voice is assertive. The language you used has a tight grip. I couldn't agree more to the 3rd stanza, and "lobotomize" is one of the words I've been meaning to use in a poem. haha. but oh well, you owned it. dang! :))

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

ooo you should use it and then send me a read request!!! Thanks for reading :)
TLK

11 Years Ago

I've just realised the homophonic tendencies of 'lobotomize' and 'lobster' thanks to this review. I .. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Beautiful work. Your use of words and short lines really pack an impact to the tone of your poem. Great job

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Thank you as always
.

11 Years Ago

Your welcome as always
i think changing that line to "actually gave a f**k about what class" would not enhance the poem...it would draw attention to "f**k" unnecessarily...the line as is works just fine.

it would be like doing a poem and having one really big word thrown in...would be awkward without helping the meaning or feel.

this poem works on so many levels...and is very much an apt description of what we are like in today's society...and what unfortunately is important to us...we are as real as mannequins anymore...we are window dressing rather than depth.

i love this poem...

damn, on here two days and already getting so inspired...

thanks for this ...

jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

Yes, I agree. I'm almost sure I'm going to leave that line as is. Thank you for reading
jacob erin-cilberto

11 Years Ago

you are most welcome...i so much enjoyed reading this.
This is great. Very original. I find the ending intriguing to say the least.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

thanks!
I don't know if "beautiful" is quite the right word, but excellent write monetheless. Your words are scorching and honest.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

thank ya much
I think if you have to ask, you definitely need to use the phrase "gave a f**k"; cathartically speaking...wonderful piece of writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Thanks for reading :D
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
First stanza: I notice antagonism between 'fast' and 'protected'. This starts the theme of falseness or, as a certain Catcher in the Rye might term it, phoniness.

"as if they were universes" is a nice simile. There is an absorption-of-consumption going on that turns people into self-parodying behemoths. We truly contain multitudes, and they blind us to the truth that others do too.

"like lobsters" is another good simile. Eyes-first indeed.

I'm not sure about 'mannequins'. The feeling it gives of glassy dead-eyed lifelessness is just a little bit too extreme.

The multiplication of meanings around "carve into ourselves" is entertaining. Truly, we are furrowed with our own failed relationships.


To answer your question: I like how it is right now. The lack of unnecessary ornamentation on the phrase leaves it plain enough that the reader can ask "do they care about this themselves?". I think it is a particular strength of this poem that the reader has space to spin the words themselves.




I wonder if you will be interested in this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Arguments_for_the_Elimination_of_Television
All criticism of modernity/post-modernity should be welcome, because the main strength of both of these cultural epochs is traumatising self-aggrandisement.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

thank you so much for the wonderful review. I'll def check out that article :)
TLK

11 Years Ago

I enjoy giving good reviews, especially when a work deserves it.
"We follow needles,
whether in a clock or syringe,
because something
(faith, work, drugs)
has to fuel our mannequins."

Lovely write!


Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

thanks Allycat :)
picture perfect for the present day situation ..
life has been struggling like this between materialism and spiritualism ...
yet, i would say ... this won't change ..
while faith is eternal; skepticism is beating tirelessly in every heart ..

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

oh humanity... thanks for reading!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kim
Gosh, amazing! The final stanza is simply stunning and I love the lobster part. So deep and so true! I give you props for your honesty and your audacity to use brutal imagery.

The opening and ending are perfect in my opinion - don't change a thing.

The tense/meaning gets a little lost in the third stanza - I'd double check your phrasings/punctuation. Maybe read it out loud and see what happens. For some reason, my brain stumbled a little through it and I think you can make it flow just as well as the rest of the poem.

Love the needles part. Yeah, it's really only that one stanza. I think it's missing a word or something - I'm sorry that I can't put my finger on it.

Great, great work and I look forward to more of your work! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

yeah, it needs some kind of tweaking lol Good advise to read it outloud--I'll be sure to do that af.. read more
Gave a f**k adds some attitude but it works either way. Great poem. The last sentence is absolutely brilliant. Lovely as ever my dear!

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

909 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 24, 2012
Last Updated on October 25, 2012

Author

eglantine
eglantine

Somewhere Someplace



About
I graduated with my B.A. in English (emphasis creative writing) My ultimate goal is to be the U.S. Poet Laureate and to be a college professor of poetry. I'm a wildflower with a poetic soul. I'm als.. more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by eglantine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Gasoline Gasoline

A Poem by Muse


~Blow~ ~Blow~

A Poem by Robbie~xoxo~