Michigan October

Michigan October

A Poem by eglantine

The sun has left my skin,
soaked into oak leaves
and now I'm a soft sigh
of chai steam, dressed
in a pencil skirt and blouse,
walking to work.

My black ballet flats
flit through gatherings of red
leaves like flakes of dried ink
leftover from a love poem.

The sun wrings out
what light it can spare,
gently like my lips murmuring
lyrics I only half know.

Squirrels tight-rope walk
electric lines, trees scatter
the wind and I forget
I'm attached to my name.

© 2012 eglantine


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I am in love with the assonance and the alliteration in the first stanza. You have the liquid sounds of all the s and l words. Then there is the assonance in soaked, oak, soft. I Imagine reading those lines as exhaling a bit of that chai steam.

Again with stanza two, you have that great first line with alliteration and assonance: "My black ballet flats." The simile in that stanza is wonderful, and you even manage to keep the sonic depth you have built in the rest of the piece as you lay down that wonderful comparison.

Those elements flow nicely into the image of the sun in stanza three. I like the idea of the simile in that stanza, but not as much as the one from stanza two.

One of the best closing lines I think I have read here this year: "I forget
I'm attached to my name."

That lines brings together all of the images and the sounds from the other stanzas. I feel as all of those aspects of this piece give the reader a sense of fading. The chai steam, the sun, and the half remembered lyrics are all in various stages of fading.

I feel as though this piece flows the best out of all of the ones I have read by you thus far. In truth, it sings.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

thanks so much! :D
Clockwork

11 Years Ago

Welcome :-)



Reviews

So very much a fall day, I can smell the leaves turning, the bite in the wind. Lyrical and descriptive. Love this poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lol black ballet flats i have soooo many of those since people get mad when i wear anything heeled..great poem i loved it!!! October is my fave month :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

10 Years Ago

haha yes, I wear lots of flats.
beautiful dreamer

10 Years Ago

Mee too i have tens of them. Always looking for a new pair lol.
The last stanza is very very good. Im not so crazy about the first one, the rest of them all are soo fresh, but the first one to me is kinda pratical. Besides that, and even with that, its a excellent peice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

10 Years Ago

merci!
The sun wrings out what light it can spare...that is dead on for Michigan!! It's gentle, it's weak, and it's fleeting....

Love the flakes of dried ink as well...

Perfect snapshot!
CM

Posted 11 Years Ago


Yes..that is what it's like. I see it, seen it. love ClockWerks review but the imagery holds. Keep on expressing what you see is your reality eglantine!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Merci flash!
I like my Michigan October's. Cooler days and people are slowing down after a fast pace Summer. I like the description. Create nice visions of the Fall in Michigan. Thank you for sharing the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

Thanks a bunches!
hahaha "I forget I'm attached to my name" is fantastic.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

thanks!
I knew I read this before. I like how you incorporate the sun into yourself while at the same time keeping it external


Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

thank you
This was a splendid read! A great description of a light moment. I actually read this a while back, but didn't have time to review it. And as it showed up on my timeline just now, I had to comment on it. It's that good.

There were certain downsides, though, which aren't too serious a mistake. The two descriptions of the sun refer to the same thing (The sun leaving, disappearing) and is somewhat redundant. The same goes to the mentioning of leaves in stanza one and two.

I don't, further, understand two imageries- The "dried ink leftover from a love poem" and the squirrels (Of course, I understood this, but it's just that it stands out as an odd entity).

There are also minor punctuation details, but I'll leave that to you.

I loved the lines

"I'm a soft sigh
of chai steam"

"The sun wrings out"

"I forget
I'm attached to my name."

Keep writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You seem just drenched in conventions of modern poetry, it's pleasant and chiselled, but you might want to think of what's your original contribution to art?

The last 2 stanzas were quite delicious! It's a fine level of poetry, just sometimes I wonder what will be your next step in terms of topic.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

yes, i know... i need to leave my nest in the moon lol

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

881 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on November 15, 2012
Last Updated on November 15, 2012

Author

eglantine
eglantine

Somewhere Someplace



About
I graduated with my B.A. in English (emphasis creative writing) My ultimate goal is to be the U.S. Poet Laureate and to be a college professor of poetry. I'm a wildflower with a poetic soul. I'm als.. more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by eglantine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Moving Moving

A Poem by spiritwind