A Momentary Sight

A Momentary Sight

A Story by endlessfiish
"

A short story dealing with perception.

"

A Momentary Sight

My world has always been made up of four senses. The tumult of sound. The bitterness of taste.  The roughness of feeling.  The odor of smell. Yet today they tell me I shall gain another. Yet only for a moment. I can see it will be fleeting. Endless misery comes into my vision if I go ahead. Yet my curiosity cannot look away. It stares into to void and whispers to my mind “Let there be light.” Yet I resist for I know it will be but a glance. An unfolding of a new world of which i will get only a glimpse. Yet I cannot blind my urge. Its overwhelming. Reason is blinded before it.

So I look towards the doctor and utter the fatal words.

“Go Ahead”

He flips the switch then.

Bang! It rocks me battering my consciousness.

The light streams into me wholly different from my imagination. It’s sharp cutting painfully into me.

Yet what a beautiful pain.

What a delicious taste of reality.

I revolve around new sensations ringing in my ears.

Then darkness! To sudden. I look up already visualizing the words I speak to the doctor.

“Is it over?”

His nodding words confirm it with the tiny phrase.

“Yes”

I despair.  I am incomplete. How had I not seen this before.  I see now what I have missed. Curiosity why could you not be blinded instead of me. For now I know darkness. It surrounds me. Smothers me. I see no way out. The exit to this prison so suddenly erected around my world is concealed from my sight. If only I could go back to those lush shades of life.

I live now in a world of five senses. Where will this new journey take me? I do not know for now I truly cannot see.

© 2015 endlessfiish


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Another captivating piece. I like the brevity of this one, however I think your character development could be stronger. The narrative is very enticing, but by the end, I was disappointed because I didn't feel a connection to the narrator. I wanted to feel pity for him/her, sympathy, but I couldn't justify that with only what I read here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great opening line "bitterness of taste..."
Great description and emotion.

Well done :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


A little confusing, but still, somehow, a great piece to read. Despite the fact I didn't really know what was going on I still enjoyed reading it. Keep writing darlin'.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I agree with Rana and Mr. M. This is a great start, but perhaps you could expand it, find some connection with the reader (such as something that will enable the reader to identify with the character), and give us a little more hint of the answer to that question in the last paragraph. Well done and a fascinating subject!

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is a great base for a story. I feel it started well but lost it's legs a little. Not to say I didn't like it, I really do. I see real potential for something excellent to be born out of this short piece. I want to read more. I agree with Rana Simon. I think you should create a stronger connection to the reader.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Congratulations on your work winning the Need Reviews? II contest! It was well earned! :)
Good job toying with the narrative to keep the reader's attention. Well done!

-Mila

Posted 9 Years Ago


Another captivating piece. I like the brevity of this one, however I think your character development could be stronger. The narrative is very enticing, but by the end, I was disappointed because I didn't feel a connection to the narrator. I wanted to feel pity for him/her, sympathy, but I couldn't justify that with only what I read here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 25, 2015
Last Updated on February 25, 2015
Tags: abstract, perception, senses, short

Author

endlessfiish
endlessfiish

IN



About
I am a college who likes to write short stories for fun in lots of different genres and thinking of starting a novel if I can get the time. more..

Writing
Landing Landing

A Chapter by endlessfiish