a rubric's uneven cube

a rubric's uneven cube

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


a rubric's uneven cube

 

 

academic breakdown

nerves of wisdom

splattered on Pink Floyd's wall

 

while teachers become nemeses 

with brains oozing subconscious renderings

 

oblivious to how those bricks in the hallway

learn to really build intelligence

because those professors use mortar

that is so outdated,

 

something intellectually crumbling

is being condemned to death.

 

 

erin-cilberto

1/29/16

© 2016 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Times change, as do perceptions and expectations, but I say Bah! to all that; and venture that perhaps today's society has the educational system it deserves.

I understand what you are saying here, but the day that the high and noble task of knowledge shared becomes to hard a burden to bear, is the day the wall comes tumbling down for good.

T



Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

yes, you are so right...it will come tumbling down....like mellancamp sang..

thank yo.. read more



Reviews

Wow, i am so in love with this poem. Of course it could very well be because of the way interpreted it. As time's change so should the mindset of people change as well. In this case the education system should change according to times so that it can become easier to spread knowledge. Knowledge is what i truly consider powerful and a dangerous weapon in a lot of cases. But I wonder if this Knowledge never gets the love it deserves all because it was not being passed down properly or with the love and care it should have been passed down. But then again, this is just how I see it ^^ Thank you for sharing ^^

Posted 8 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

i really like how you see this...and agree totally with what you said...i think knowledge should be .. read more
Now I have that tune stuck in my head. The process of 'educating' is a political meal ticket, problem is the last to be considered in this are the kids. Nice one J.

Posted 8 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

thank you for your words, my friend.

j.
Thank Goodness, there are still band and orchestra are offered in schools
where emotions are experienced and perhaps emotion is also experienced in
other classes also. Poetry is so therapeutic for expressing our inner feelings.
We actually had Drama and English Literature in Hugh School. We also prayed in
school and and Pledged allegiance to our Flag every morning. The Rubik's Cube is
truly a challenge. Pat

Posted 8 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

we did too...catholic grade schools and high schools...Bless me Father for....
thank you for .. read more
Yes bring down the Wall !!!!! Lol A clever write J! Another brick in the wall!:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

yes, just another one...thank you, andrew.
j.
This brings back such memories of middle school. We had a jukebox on the stage in the cafeteria, and that Pink Floyd song was the favorite selection. In unison, the voices of all the students would sing, "Hey, teachers! Leave those kids alone." In the 80's, it was all about fun. Today, however, those words, I dare say would mean something completely different; and teachers, out of fear, would back down.

I, for one, loved school. It was my out from an abusive environment at my so-called home, and I was fortunate enough to have some really wonderful teachers. I love the English language and think it's really beautiful when used appropriately. Today, however, the English language is so bastardized, kids aren't even being taught cursive writing, and common core is replacing common sense and intelligence. Instead, kids are spending the bulk of their time on "busy work," that doesn't teach them anything. Thank God I do not have children, and thank God I am not a teacher trapped by the NEA, political correctness, and liberal indoctrination run amok.

That “outdated mortar” might seem outdated to some, but it has held this country together longer than today’s will.

It’s amazing how this small write can spark so much conversation. 


Posted 8 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

yes, no cursive writing, no writing at all...texting, with all the short cuts, chopping up the langu.. read more
Of Pink Floyd and Rubik's cubes....ah, the memories. Teachers must take a giant leap into the 21st century. Unfortunately, many teaching methods are now outdated. The brick walls have given way to electronic connections and those who do not keep up are destined to fail. Wonderful metaphors. Lydi**

Posted 8 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

thank you for your review, Lydi...and it seems so---i try to keep my teaching as much to face to fac.. read more
I'm not sure about an academic breakdown, Jacob. I only know that I spent weeks getting over a nervous breakdown trying to solve it. (The cube, not your poem). Unfortunately, I suspect that modern education has now become an appeasement to the politically correct and the financial controllers.
N

Posted 8 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

such wise words, Norman...thank you for that...

j.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
It was to stay awake in class. Could of been the pot smoking in between lol. I exceled in the classes that held my interest and slept in those that didn't. Had to repeat Government to graduate. Have no idea how I managed a 3.0. School for the most part was boring. dictatorial even...yawn. I love to learn, even more so now, I just hate lecturing, more hands on, more passion infusion, less labeling and lying, and where's the classes on common sense. No offense, Jacob. I'm sure you do your best, but you work in a system of programming text book mentalities.

Posted 8 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

no offense taken...although my classes are mostly discussion, and i push students to not just accept.. read more
Supposedly (I've never been able to find any attribution for it) Dennis Hopper said "Man, there ain't nothin' in books", so everything old is new again in a sense; still, knowledge seems to be a shallow, horizontal thing today--there's no room for going into a subject in depth, because that's hard to do on your phone. Oh, yeah, and get the hell of my lawn.

Off the soapbox, then. This is wickedly subtle in the manner where the touchstones of an earlier age--Floyd, the Rubik's Cube--are intermingled with the notion of an even earlier age of brick-and-mortar. Wry and pungent work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

geez, i like your review...the insights..and the "ha ha" get off my lawn...

and eve.. read more
Times change, as do perceptions and expectations, but I say Bah! to all that; and venture that perhaps today's society has the educational system it deserves.

I understand what you are saying here, but the day that the high and noble task of knowledge shared becomes to hard a burden to bear, is the day the wall comes tumbling down for good.

T



Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

8 Years Ago

yes, you are so right...it will come tumbling down....like mellancamp sang..

thank yo.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

383 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 2, 2016
Last Updated on February 2, 2016

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..