in collusion

in collusion

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


in collusion 

 

 

 

seared by your suddenly frozen lips

a death warrant served,

the bounty, broken dreams

 

i had you dead to rights

certainly in my sights

felt the lam

with you would be forever

 

someone had to pay the price

and we were running away from our own crime

"delusion"

 

dissonance ignored,

affections pick-pocketed 

your eyes arrested me

but then you betrayed me with 

false testimony

 

and here i sit alone

waiting on love's death row

 

scheming to get a retrial

free those dreams

and recapture your heart.

 

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

6/24/16

© 2016 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wanting to get back that ever elusive love can feel like punishment and conspiracy against us, all at once.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, KL...

j.
As you often do, you've chosen a somewhat playful motif & stuck to it like glue with many imaginative word choices & metaphors connected by the idea of crime & punishment. Love contrasts like this: "seared by your suddenly frozen lips" . . . I also love that the "crime" is "delusion" (oh, aren't we all guilty of that!) . . . and on & on the delightful word play goes.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, barleygirl...

j.
People betray for many reasons and many seasons. The lies become like a verdict of injustice towards the victim trapped in the void of nothingness. This was effective and uplifting at the end....:))))

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

your responses are always so insightful, Sami...

i appreciate you, my friend.
.. read more
Sami Khalil

7 Years Ago

You are welcome muchly. ....:)))))
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Running away together...thinking you are partners in crime, but alas, no honor among thieves, is there? No matter how badly a lover hurts you, there is still that one velvety spot in your heart for him/her. There is always a chance things will change. We tell ourselves that, but it never happens. What a great string of poems I have read from you this morning. Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words on this poem and your comment on the other reads, also...

read more
I had the displeasure of handing out meds on death row at Graterford prison. If you want I can slip you a nice pill and the 1 hour out of 24 that you get out of your cell we could talk.......maybe whisper what a great write in the deep end of the inkwell.

Regards,
Al

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

interesting job you had...that had to be hard....

thank you for sharing...i politely .. read more
I really like this because I can relate to this bad relationship that even when it ends we can't let it die and want it all over again. Reminds me of lady gaga's bad romance.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Ana...

we have had similar experiences, i'm pretty sure.read more
this is like the dark side of Romeo and Juliet, the tragedy being she's cold as ice and yet he cannot give up the quest that she may change her mind.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

"on the dark side, whoa yeah, on the dark side"

thank you, andrew....
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
Great choice of words, I adore this one. The love and death combination reads so well. I think all of your pieces read like as if you were writing along your thoughts, a frequent, poetic stream of consciousness. Though I have a tiny remark: "but then you betrayed me with", the "but then" reads a little unsmooth somehow, almost sort of clumsy, I think you could go well without it but only my opinion.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

will consider the suggestion, and i appreciate your review, my friend.

j.
V

7 Years Ago

Anytime...
Superb metaphor work ... smiling here:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Pryde.

j.
I love the different ways you look at love, ways I would never think to see, stepping inside the theme of bounty, death row, trial - the images of prison, escape, running for your life come to mind. I have such a romanticized view of love it is refreshing to see it from another perspective in your images.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Marianne.

j.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

397 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 25, 2016
Last Updated on June 25, 2016

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..