Attic Angel

Attic Angel

A Story by
"

A high school jealously that is far more sinister than it appears...

"

 

I was always the girl that no-one wanted to be seen with at school. You know the type; quiet, nerdy, and more often be seen reading a book than talking with another human being. Even after I grew out of my nerdy stage, I still wore a proverbial banner around my neck that read ‘WARNING: Preconceived notions attached. Speak to at own risk.’ It wasn’t the glasses I wore; I ditched them for contacts in year nine. It wasn’t my hair, either; I must’ve tried a thousand different styles above a thousand different smiles in my search to fit in, but nothing worked. I just couldn’t put my finger on it.

 

Fitting in wasn’t the only problem that dogged my schooling though, of course; as they say, bad things come in threes. My childhood was practically a montage of violence, alcohol and failure.

 

A father whose mid-life crisis drove him to drink. The empty bottles, scattered across the kitchen table every morning, that drove us to poverty. The half-empty paychecks that drove my father to anger. The undirected rage that drove my father to hit my mother. The beatings that drove my mother to drink like my father. The alcohol that drove my parents to separate at the end of year eleven.

 

And so on and so forth; a classic case of self-perpetuating domestic violence. My floor-scraping grades could be blamed away as the fault of the situation at home, but for the sake of the whole ‘bad things come in threes’ thing it can have its own little place in my book of mishaps.

 

As if things weren’t bad enough on their own, I had little miss Clarabelle Daisy to make me look all the worse by comparison.

 

Clara is one of those people who must have a guardian angel hanging over their shoulder. Everyone thought so – even she claimed to have heard an angel singing to her when she cried this one time in year five. There was no real way to prove or disprove that though, because little miss never cried apart from that one time. I mean, why would she have to? She lived the perfect life.

 

By virtue of her radiant beauty and polished smile the other girls in our year – we had to be in the same year at school, of course – elevated her to ‘unofficial’ head of the ‘unofficial’ popular group, whose word was pretty much law amongst anyone with any hope of being one of the ‘pretty girls’. And, by virtue of her flawless grades and selfless after-school charity work, the teachers elevated her to the position of Head Girl in year twelve – which came as a surprise to no-one, by the way. It’s little surprise she had such a good academic and community track record; her parents were as wealth as the Catholic Church, so – unlike me – she didn’t need to get a job, but could spend her time studying and giving starving African children bread or some crap.

 

Oh, and partying. Don’t forget the partying, though I can only guess how much time she spent on that. I was never invited to any.

 

As the end of year twelve loomed into view and I was still friendless and failing – not to mention torn up over my parent’s recent divorce – I decided that something needed to change. I’d had enough of always being at the bottom while Clara sailed effortlessly above the clouds. There’s only so much one can take – and twelve years is way past that limit.

 

So in term three, I decided to make my way down to my local library and loan out some self-help books. Not those trashy, vain self-help books for people who don’t actually need help; I was looking for the heavy duty stuff for serious people. It took some hunting, but eventually I found some battered old books that looked like they would do the trick. I took them out and took them home, and dedicated as many hours between coming home from school and the tear-soaked, crumpling mess that was dinner with my mother as I could find to following their steps to the letter.

 

And it worked. I managed to pull my grades together enough to pass my exams and get into a course in business management at university. Everyone’s jaw hit the floor when they heard – but that wasn’t really what mattered to me, as nice as it was to be able to know people are talking about you behind your back in a good way for once.

 

No, what really mattered to me was the way people saw me once I was in university. I made a good first impression there, and kept it up with ease; friends came slowly but surely, as did the high grades. I was doing something I enjoyed and I was doing it in an environment that I felt comfortable in. Now it was me that everyone said had the guardian angel over my shoulder; I moved out of home in my first year at uni, and my personal life settled down immensely as a result.

 

Clara, on the other hand – little miss Clarabelle Daisy – took a turn in the other direction, though. Her grandmother died a few weeks before our final year twelve exams, and she bombed out horribly. Her application for a re-sit was rejected to boot. She didn’t get into the law degree she and everyone else had expected she would, and with no other plan – who would have expected the little miss not to get what she wanted? – she drifted aimlessly for months. Last I heard she’d gotten involved with drugs and alcohol; rumour had it she was running out of money – her parents had cut her off from their supply, see – and some slack-jaws were spinning tales that she was whoring herself out to guys for money. Even the most gullible didn’t believe that last one of course, but there are still some who say it’s only a matter of time.

 

Still, she should be thankful. She got a good childhood; no worries or cares, always kept safe and snuggled by her guardian angel. Now it’s my turn; I want some of that security and prosperity that she always took for granted. So what if her life’s falling apart just as mine’s finally coming together? I survived without any sort of angel watching over me, so she should be able to do the same. She was always the stronger one, after all; the smarter one, the prettier one, the richer one.

 

Besides, I’ve grown quite fond of my attic angel. I do love sitting under the trapdoor and listening to him sing all through the night.

© 2008


Author's Note

Constructive critique is HIGHLY appreciated. Any sort of suggestion will be welcomed and taken into consideration, both with regards to this piece and future pieces.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is such a deep write, i think many of your readers could relate to it!! I loved it!!! The way you chose to build this story, in simple words and out of a pre-made scheme, adds a strong taste of naturalness to your write and it brings the readers right in the middle of the story.
You reached to make me paint in my mind the portrait of that yucky but "perfect" miss Clara!!!

Very very well done!!!

Keep up the good work!!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like that! I would give it another pass through reading it and deleting anything you can. I would even suggest adding to it. This to me feels like chapter one and I want to know more. But very good work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Overall, I really like this. Its well thought out and something anyone who wasn't little miss Clara can relate to.

Watch for tossing in extra words like "though" or "even" or other words people habitually use as "I'm thinking" words. Just as an example, this line:

"Clara, on the other hand � little miss Clarabelle Daisy � took a turn in the other direction, though."

Read it again in context of the paragraph, but take out the word "though." It tightens it right up and adds power to the line, which is what you want. No worries, its not really a criticism--that particular trait is one of the most common I've seen among writers. Its like the mental equivalent of the "um" people do when they're speaking.

I will say at the end I didn't like the character much. All through the piece I wanted her to win over Clara, but at the end to not sympathize with someone's down-spiraling life, not even a little? She's been there, she knows that kind of misery, and Clara has it as bad or worse than she did. That is one cold case of jealousy. I feel it turns this story from a human triumph piece to something more closely resembling a horror. If that was what you wanted, excellent. If not, you may wish to do a little editing to the ending.

Posted 15 Years Ago


mmm...
this piece played out quite well if i might say so
i think that it can do with a little more differences with "Carla" and the "I" that is in this story
besides that i dont think i can give anymoe suggestions
i think i saw some spelling / word error but i am not too sure about that

Posted 15 Years Ago


I agree it's relatable. It seems well thought out.
Oh, i might have seen some spelling/grammar errors, but I am not sure. My favorite check is a 150% zoom in Microsoft word, so what it doesn't pick up automatically, you can clearly read.
Secondly, maybe add some certain details, some dialoque? Dialoque I would completely adore to see in here, to see more character development happening than being explained to me by time passing by. Add some sensory details to it in places other than sight as well, because I've found that those always add another dimension to the story.
I think those were the first things on my mind...send me a read request if you edit this, I'd love to read it again. :) Thank you for sharing it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a deep write, i think many of your readers could relate to it!! I loved it!!! The way you chose to build this story, in simple words and out of a pre-made scheme, adds a strong taste of naturalness to your write and it brings the readers right in the middle of the story.
You reached to make me paint in my mind the portrait of that yucky but "perfect" miss Clara!!!

Very very well done!!!

Keep up the good work!!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

405 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 11, 2008

Author


Writing
The Mannequin The Mannequin

A Story by


Change Change

A Poem by


Beyond Absolution Beyond Absolution

A Book by