A Promise I Kept

A Promise I Kept

A Story by Not Mistaken
"

For this story, I like the title the best. You'd never guess what happened by reading the title. At least, that's what I think. And, I know nothing about heroin, so, if you have any knowledge that might help make the story a nicer one, I would very muc

"
I saw him, standing under a lamp post, near my apartment. I glanced at my watch. It was almost midnight. My phone rang. I answered the call. Somebody got the wrong number. It was annoying to get calls like this. I switched off the phone. I did not need disturbance.

I walked into7-eleven. I bought two cokes. I read the time again. It was half past twelve. It began to drizzle. He was still there, standing in the rain, at this late hour. I knew he was waiting for me. Nevermind, he didn't have to know I was here all the time.

I put my hands into the pockets of my jacket. I took out a cigarette. Then, a lighter. I lit the cigarette. I sucked in a mouthful of smoke. I choked. I didn't care. I liked the way it helped me forget things that were taking up too much memory space. I continued smoking, enjoying the smoke that came out of my mouth, until I finished the whole packet.

It was two o'clock. The rain never stopped. And, he never moved. Not even a step. I knew he wanted to see me. In fact, I even knew why. He wanted to say sorry. He wanted to apologize for cheating on me. He wanted to apologize for getting together with my best friend, Rita, behind my back, and making her pregnant, with his child. I knew him so well. He too, knew me well enough to understand that I don't usually accept apologies. I didn't need his sorries. And, I knew that wasn't his main purpose. I knew he was going to invite him to his wedding. I saw him hold the invitation card in his hand. He wasn't really sorry.

Three o'clock. I was getting bored. Watching him stand in the rain was not fun at all. I grabbed the plastic bag containing the cokes. I approached him. Before that, I added heroin into one of the cokes. Heroin was his favourite. I knew he would love it.

"Wanna have a coke?" I handed the can to him, and sat down next to him. I got wet. It was still raining.

"Thanks." He said. He took out an envelope. He gave it to me. "I'm getting married next month, with Rita." He said. He finished the whole can, in one go.

"I see." I told him, tonelessly. I knew I wouldn't guess wrong. He didn't mean to apologize. He was getting married. "Congratulations." I spoke to the floor. He was busy playing with his empty can, but, not for too long.

Twenty minutes past three. He told me he was getting really hot and stuffy. He told me he had a headache. He told me he wanted to go home.

"See you at the wedding." He tried to smile.

"I don't need to go." I spoke to the floor.

He stood up. He sat down on the floor, hard. He stood up, and, sat down, again. I smiled at him.

Four o'clock. He fainted. I knew he wouldn't hear a word I said. But, all the same, I talked to him.

"You know? I used to be a very happy girl. I had everything I wanted, and was living a comfortable life. But, for you, I gave up almost everything. I left my mom, my dad, my family. I gave up everything I could, for your sake. You and Rita, are all I have left. Now, you made me lose Rita. I cannot lose you anymore. You're everything I have now. I cannot lose you... I cannot... I cannot..." I started to cry. Nobody saw my tears, it was raining. Plus, who would be here at four o'clock?

Twenty minutes past four. I finally had enough of crying. I wiped away my tears. I laughed. "Now, you're all mine. All mine! You can't get away. You're mine, forever!" I began laughing even louder.

Five o'clock. The rain stopped. So did his heart. I looked at him I stroke his hair. He looked handsome, even with his eyes closed. I stayed by his side, gently touching his face.

Five thirty. I kissed him, fiercely. He did not struggle to get away. I liked the way he remained still as we kissed.

Six o'clock. My lips left his, unwillingly. "I have to go now. But, we'll meet again, soon. I'll miss you, honey." I spoke softly into his ears. I got into my car. I drove away.

Seven thirty. I reached my office. The editor called me to his room. "A twenty-two year old just died on front of 7-eleven. It's just next to your apartment. He was said to have an overdose of heroin. Why don't you go over and interview some of the people there, and, write a report for the paper tomorrow? This is going to be big news!" The editor was so excited.

"Yes, of course, I'll be happy to do that." I replied, with a smile.

Eight thirty. I reached the scene. I saw the police put his body into a big black plastic bag. I smiled at the plastic bag. "Now, we meet again. You see, I always keep my promises." I whispered to myself.

© 2009 Not Mistaken


Author's Note

Not Mistaken
So, how was it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The biggest problem with this story is that you can't add heroin to a drink, if thats what you're saying the main character does in this story. You can snort it, you can shoot it, but you can't dissolve it and drink it, to my knowledge. I'm studying to be a rehab counselor so I know a fair deal about this. If I were you, I'd have her give him a bump [a snort] of heroin from the top of the Coke bottle and have him go that way. That's what came to mind when I read this.

Also, one spelling/grammatical error: The sentence "I looked at him I stroke his hair" should probably be "I looked at him, I stroked his hair" or "I looked at him. I stroked his hair."

Other than that, it was a really great twisted love story of sorts. I enjoyed it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The biggest problem with this story is that you can't add heroin to a drink, if thats what you're saying the main character does in this story. You can snort it, you can shoot it, but you can't dissolve it and drink it, to my knowledge. I'm studying to be a rehab counselor so I know a fair deal about this. If I were you, I'd have her give him a bump [a snort] of heroin from the top of the Coke bottle and have him go that way. That's what came to mind when I read this.

Also, one spelling/grammatical error: The sentence "I looked at him I stroke his hair" should probably be "I looked at him, I stroked his hair" or "I looked at him. I stroked his hair."

Other than that, it was a really great twisted love story of sorts. I enjoyed it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
1 Review
Added on February 12, 2009

Author

Not Mistaken
Not Mistaken

Malaysia



About
I'm me. Simplified. more..

Writing