RCT. Michael A. Siegel

RCT. Michael A. Siegel

A Story by Garnet Christine

My best friend of 7 years is at Parris Island, SC for Marine Corps boot camp. His name is Rct. Michael A. Siegel. When I was a little girl in kindergarten, I met Mike at my Catholic school. My brother always told me he was an odd one. I have to agree, he is. But, at that age, you don't understand many things and you don't judge as much as you probably should. Mike and his father, a colonel in the Marine Corps, moved to Okinawa, Japan. When I was in the second grade, I began to talk to Mike via Instant Messanger. I eventually blocked him in the third grade because he had developed alcohol and drug problems. He would always IM me drunk or in a mess. Three years later, I had a flashback of Mike. Some nights I would try so hard to remember his screen name or try to find it on my computer somewhere. I would go into a fit and start crying right at my computer desk. I dreamt that he was dead, in jail, or hurt because of his problems. Some nights I'd cry myself to sleep, worrying about him. A few weeks after this began, I was finally able to find my blocked users list. His screen name was, of course, on it. I unblocked him, and the next day, he signed on. When I saw his name pop up on my list, I was frantic. My heart went to my throat and skipped one too many beats. When he IMed me, I flew through the ceiling. I had grown wings that let me soar for the first time. We talked and caught up. I learned that he had moved back to Virginia and was in the area. We called each other about five times in a single day. He was all that I really needed. Mike eventually found out about my tiny crush on him, but he was okay with it. He told me of his plans to go to boot camp and become a Marine. At first, I wasn't really thinking much about it. As I got more into his life, the Marine Corps scared me. I knew people who had family in the armed forces. Some of my family members, as well, are Marines. I'd think of what would happen if Mike died in combat. He would die a hero's death, I know. But, losing my dear friend at such a young age was too much for me. We began to fight comstantly about his leaving. He told me that everything would be fine. I told him that he just wanted to die because he thought he was worthless. I knew it wasn't true. The day Mike left for Parris Island, SC was January 4, 2009. He was able to ring in the New Year, but I was disappointed that he left only eleven days before my  thirteenth birthday. I write Mike almost every day. Of course, I don't send him every letter. In fact, I throw about half of them away because I find faults or defects in them. Mike is currently in an MRP. I recieved a letter from his father just yesterday. Mike broke his right hand half-way through boot camp. He has six weeks of rehab, and then he picks up where he last left off. He was scheduled to come home in April (next month), but because of his current injury, Mike should be graduating some time in June. Now that he's gone, I finally realise how much he means to me and how much he strives to be a real Marine, like his father. I support him fully now. He, hopefully, knows that he has my heart. I love him and wish him the best.

© 2009 Garnet Christine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
Added on March 7, 2009
Last Updated on March 7, 2009

Author

Garnet Christine
Garnet Christine

Virginia Beach, VA



About
Hey! My name's Natalie. I'm 13 years old. Born and raised in Virginia Beach, VA. I go to Star of the Sea School in Virginia Beach. I love to write. Many of my teachers have told me that I might have a.. more..

Writing