The Lady Learned and Lost Pt. One.

The Lady Learned and Lost Pt. One.

A Chapter by Hayley

    “Twinkle twinkle little star…”
    Who in their right mind wrote this line?  Stars do not twinkle, nor are they small.  Giant orbs of burning gas, they are.  Little is wrong, so- so wrong.
    “How I wonder what you are…”
    Have you been huffing gasoline?!  I just told you what they are!
    “Up above the world so high…”
     There is no direction in space, stars are not above the world, they’re just really f*****g far away.  It may seem like they are above you because you have to look up to see them in the night sky.  But I assure you, they are not above you.
    “Like a diamond in the sky…”
    When is the last time you looked at the night sky!?  Stars do not look like diamonds, they look like white dots on a black canvas.  Jesus Christ do I have to open your eyes to everything?
    “Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are…”
    Must I repeat everything?  I just explained this to you!

Maybe these are the thoughts of Mr. Dylan.  I’ve been playing a new game.  I put thoughts into other people’s heads.  Well, I don’t actually shove thoughts into their brains; I just imagine what it is they are thinking.
    My space science teacher charges out of the auditorium.  Instead of looking at the children singing on the stage, my attention has been focused on him.  And now he is gone so I can leave.  I get up from my seat in the back and follow him out the door.  He doesn’t see or hear me.
    What in the hell is wrong with this guy?  I plunge my hand into my pockets and watch as he scratches the thick brown hair on top of his head.  He collapses in on himself, his skinny frame giving, perhaps from the thoughts hovering inside of his overactive brain.  I can almost feel them myself.  As if they are leaking out of his feet and slithering over to me.  As if I can read his mind.
    Must… get back… to…
    Stop this…
    Have to be careful…
    Can’t know who has power… here…
    My vision blurs, the world around me fluctuates and I see him for what he truly is.  Not the handsome PHD in astronomy and astrophysics.  Not an MIT graduate.  He turns his head towards me and finally notices my presence.
    I play dumb.  “Uh, Mr. Dylan, are you alright?”
    “I’m fine,” he groans/growls.
    “Al-alright.”
    His fists clench, grabbing the material of his corduroy pants and glares at me.
    “Why aren’t you in the auditorium?”
    “I- I…”  I’m out of lies.  What do I say to this man who seems to be on the verge of a mental breakdown?
    “You need to come with me.”
    S**t.
    He begins walking down the hallway towards his classroom.  The room that always creeped me out, but always seemed to draw me in.  He turns left down the science and math hall and then into his classroom.  When I walk in, he slams the door behind me and I hear the faint click of the lock.  No windows, locked door.  What have I gotten myself into?  He turns to me and I can see his intentions as easily as a porn star.  
    I don’t look at him, instead at the classroom around me.  This time I see that his degrees, they’re not legitimate.   
    He walks towards where I stand in the center of his room.  He speaks, useless things, no meaning in his words.  But his eyes, they burn with meaning.  When he opens his mouth his words fall out and wrap around me.  His thoughts float out of his ears, eels filled with his soul.
    He faces me now, with his soul exposed to me.  Still speaking, I’m still breathing, how long for him?
    A hand is now on my arm, squeezing, pleading.  Tears drip down his cheeks.
    “You can see,” he whispers.
    “Yes.”
    “Then what am I?”  
    “You’re not what everyone thinks you are.”
    “What does everyone think I am?”
    “Human,” I say, which creates a new waterfall to pour down his face.
    “You can see,” he says again.    
    “Yes, I can see.”
    “You are no ordinary child.”
    “No, I am not.”
    “I’m dying,” he states and I feel the truth in his words.
    “What is wrong?”
    “I have been away from my sun for too long.”
    “Can’t you go home?”
    “Yes.”
    “Are you going to?”
    “Yes, but I might not make it.”

    Later on I am sitting in the library sitting between the shelves, hidden from the rest of the world.  I am waiting for someone to come and find me… or not.  I pull out a book with an interesting title with the intent of reading the back cover.  Instead I see something behind the book.  I remove the other books from the shelf until it is uncovered.  I pull out whatever it is; wrapped in a heavy, brown cloth.  I remove the top of it and gasp at what sits in my hand.
    A black handgun sits in my hand.  Confusion and panic spread over my body like butter on a hot frying pan.
    I stand up to warn somebody of the thing I have found, but the library is empty.  The thirty or so students that were just in here five minutes ago are now… gone.
    I set the gun on the shelf next to my head and run out of the library.  The halls echo with the sounds of my footsteps.  I look in the classrooms, and there is no one in there either.  Empty textbooks sit on empty desks.  In a few rooms, the papers blow around due to windows left open.
    In the gymnasium, a basketball is still rolling across the huge wooden floor.
    “Hello?”  I call.  My voice resonates off the walls on the empty gym, jumping from basket to basket.
    My feet start to vibrate, I listen closely and I can hear a faint humming.  And then as if someone turned the volume up, it is all I can hear.  It infiltrates every cell in my body.  I wish for it to stop.  My brain is turning to jelly.
    “HHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!”  It answers.
“STOP!”  I yell, but the humming only gets louder, it shakes the walls of the gym, the doors fall off of their hinges and crash on the ground.  I cannot hear the noise they make.
“CCCCCCCCOOOOOOONNNNNNNNTTTTTIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNUUUUUUEEE!!!!”  It answers.  I can’t stand up anymore, I fall to the floor, where the planks have come loose and rattle around me.  Cracks appear in the ceiling.  It starts to fall.  And I watch as a huge chunk of it lands next to me.  I look up and another piece is going to fall right on top of me.  I have no time to move. Blackness envelopes me.




© 2011 Hayley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on March 6, 2011
Last Updated on March 6, 2011


Author

Hayley
Hayley

MI



About
I'm Hayley. more..

Writing
All All

A Poem by Hayley