The Burning Dragon Dwells In My Suffocating Flames

The Burning Dragon Dwells In My Suffocating Flames

A Poem by Vertigoingnowhere

The dragon that dwells beneath my soul is angry.

The fire that I had lit in my heart is suffocating, dying.

It is too hot to touch, and too far gone to save, yet I let myself try resulting in the burning of my flesh.

The smell of the ashes fills my nose.

The sparks that used to be so abundant, they were no longer found.

The beautiful amber color the flames used to create turned into a dark gray, almost numb, but still alive.

The smoke makes it hard to see and think clearly.

The poisonous air gets into my lungs and it is hard to breathe.

The dragon told me not to get lost in the forest, he told me not to wander endlessly, hopelessly.

He warned me that I was walking in to a trap.

I walked straight into a knife.

It was not until the tip of the blade reveled itself through my back, that I realized how much I was bleeding.

I saw the flames dying, perishing, as I stumbled out of the woods covered in my own blood.

© 2012 Vertigoingnowhere


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

WHOA girl o_o
That was.....deep. And...wow. You should make this into a monologue for some sort of story...I'd so read it :]
I always enjoy reading something from the HighSchoolAdventurer.
I especially loved the lines: "The beautiful amber color the flames used to create turned into a dark gray, almost numb, but still alive.
The smoke makes it hard to see and think clearly." and "He warned me that I was walking in to a trap.
I walked straight into a knife.
It was not until the tip of the blade reveled itself through my back, that I realized how much I was bleeding.
I saw the flames dying, perishing, as I stumbled out of the woods covered in my own blood." WELL DONE ;D

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Vertigoingnowhere

11 Years Ago

thank you!



Reviews

whoa.. very poignant. Dark, and true. I like. :) A LOT

Posted 10 Years Ago


it's really hard to read ... very painful :(
but it was a great poem

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dear HighSchoolAdventurer,

Nice. "The dragon that dwells beneath my soul is angry". A powerful introduction. Nice imagery. It is on the basis of such insights and powerful openings that amazing poems are born! Your poem has these qualities.

Greatly enjoyed. Loved it. Very high marks!

Best regards,

Rick


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful write
Enjoyed reading

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good stuff. Very vivid imagery.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Love this one.. The words are "burning" with such passion. A very engaging read, well done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alas, my soul could weep for the beauty, and utter devastation in these lines, were it not that silver is refined in fire, and therewith is gold purified. Song Recommendation: Second Chance by Shinedown.... Life Lesson # 7: Everything, but everything, is a test. For such a beautiful, perceptive soul as yours is, those tests will be harder to bear, but make your sensitivity a strength and not a weakness, and oh what an extraordinarily exquisite butterfly you will become! Outstanding imagery, excellent momentum, great writing all around, my dear! May I suggest a Part II, since this story is not over yet? and just a thought: what if we tried to write the victory scene before we experienced the victory? How would that be, I wonder? Hmmm.....this is all from reading YOUR poem!! Thank you!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Vertigoingnowhere

11 Years Ago

I am a rock and roll ( all types including classic rock) fanatic. Love that song
catofjade

11 Years Ago

I always think of it with Meant To Live by Switchfoot...they seem to go together in my mind.
Vertigoingnowhere

11 Years Ago

Love them and that song.
Love the last line, this is great and full of great imagery! Great write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


What a powerful, driving force within that you've released... the emotional vibrance of the colors... the scent of the ashes... the coldness of the forest in the hauntings... Such magic and metaphor made this so bittersweet to read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice use of imagery here and wisdom is used throughout also. Your character of the dragon seems to me as if he's a wise old man and knows many things within this world. Impressive Work.

-Writer *78*

Posted 11 Years Ago


Vertigoingnowhere

11 Years Ago

thank you

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

601 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on November 15, 2012
Last Updated on November 15, 2012

Author

Vertigoingnowhere
Vertigoingnowhere

Sarasota, FL



About
My name is Hannah. I am 18 years old and a senior in high school. To my wonderment I am survived it. These are my adventurers and devestations as I stand my ground, cuss out society and of course, th.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My God My God

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Caged Heart Caged Heart

A Poem by MOON


A walk A walk

A Poem by MichelleClay


Black Widow Black Widow

A Poem by Muse