Benjamin Marries Madeline

Benjamin Marries Madeline

A Chapter by My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer

Benjamin Marries Madeline

“I don’t have to marry her, Aunt Sarah. I want to marry her.”

 

“That isn’t what your Mama told me, Benjamin. Boy, are you sure you want to tie yourself down to that little tramp? Benjamin, you are too good for her.”

 

Sarah had cornered Benjamin on the back porch and she meant to have her say before she let him escape.  When Irene had told her that Madeline was pregnant it had come as no surprise to her. She had seen the girl wagging her tail at every man on Pungo Creek. But when her sister told her that the baby was Benjamin’s and that he was planning to marry Madeline she was stunned. “Benjamin, you will just be throwing your life away if you marry her. Why, how do you even know that it’s your baby?” Sarah lowered her voice. “Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if she had a mulatto child.”

 

Benjamin had heard enough. “Don’t talk to me about bad choices. From what I’ve been told you picked a sorry assed husband and your baby had calluses on her hands from trying to hang on for nine months. You had better mind your manners around my future wife. I will thank you to keep your opinions to yourself.” With that Benjamin hobbled down the porch steps and up the lane.

 

“Was that Benjamin I heard out here, Sarah?” Irene came to the door. “I thought I heard shouting. Did you and Benjamin have words?”

 

“Yes, we had words. That boy of yours is more pigheaded than all our husbands put together. Are you just going to sit back and let him marry her?”

 

“Sarah, you know as well as I do that come hell or high water, as soon as that house is ready he is going to marry her.”

 

“Well he better hurry up or she’ll by dropping that baby on the way to the alter.”

 

Benjamin had worked determinedly preparing a home for Madeline. Just across the snake and cattail filled branch from the house where he was raised he had built a fancy house for himself and Madeline. It was visible from the porch where Sarah and Irene stood.

 

Benjamin and Madeline were married the Sunday before Easter in Sidney Free Will Baptist Church.

 

Madeline wore an elaborate, low cut dress of white taffeta. When Sarah had refused to make the dress, Madeline insisted that Benjamin take her to New Bern where she selected the most expensive dress in town. Ignoring Benjamin’s advice, she picked a dress with a tight-fitting bodice. “Madeline, honey, you can hardly breathe in that dress now. What is going to happen when you are further along?”

 

On her wedding day, Madeline’s mother struggled to button her dress.  “Suck it in, Madeline.”

 

“I am sucking it in. S**t. My God, you are killing me.” As Madeline waddled up the aisle the congregation sniggered at the wide gap in the back of her dress, only partially hidden by her ornate train. 

 

It was not a happy marriage. Madeline refused to work in Irene’s kitchen. “I’m your wife, not a servant.  Besides, Rose doesn’t mind working.  I can’t say the same for Pearl. She generally makes herself scarce when I’m around.  She looks at me like I’m trash. So does that Aunt of yours.” Benjamin had met his match.  No amount of cajoling could convince Madeline to lift a finger in his mother’s house.

 

Madeline gave birth on the 4th of July. She was very relieved when her mother-in-law commented on how much the baby looked like her husband.  They named the baby Jess Benjamin Higson. Irene had hoped they would decide to name the baby Caleb Higson after Benjamin’s father but she was careful not to impose her will on Benjamin and his headstrong wife.  After the baby was born Madeline plagued Benjamin until he brought in a girl to help her. He hired Tina.

 

Tina was fifteen, the same age as Rose and Pearl, when she came to work in Madeline’s kitchen. She was the color of molasses and just as sweet.  Everyone loved her – especially children.  She treated them with special care even though she was scarcely more than a child herself. 

 

Madeline delegated care of little Jess to Tina who kept the baby with her in the kitchen while Madeline lolled about doing little but eat and complain.  Benjamin stayed away as much as he could. He couldn’t hide his disgust at his young wife’s ever increasing bulk. Six months after Jess was born she was larger than she had been just before his birth.

 

“Madeline, if you don’t stop eating I am going to have to cut a bigger door. Frankly, you are disgusting.”

 

Madeline just scowled at him and continued shoving gravy soaked biscuits into her mouth.

 



© 2008 My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Madeline has become quite a slob. This story is smooth and easy to understand. I am enjoying every minute of reading it.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on February 5, 2008


Author

My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer
My Name is Brenda and I'm a Writer

Falls Church, VA



About
My first novel was inspired by my own childhood on Pungo Creek in rural North Carolina where I grew up in a house shared by three generations. It seems it took a lifetime to write but it was actually.. more..

Writing