What is a Gorf

What is a Gorf

A Story by Jack...
"

A children's story with an anti-bullying message and if they are not careful, they may learn a little about spelling as well.

"

 

What is a Gorf?

By Jack Ivey

 

 

 

 

 

Dedicated to every child in the world

who has ever been teased, tormented or bullied

 

 

 

It was the first day of school at Barnyard Elementary, and Freddie Frog was the most excited of all. He was up before the sun and dressed in his new school outfit which consisted of a red and white striped shirt and blue shorts.

 

He bounced around the kitchen as his mother prepared his breakfast.

 

“Freddie, calm down, you are going to make yourself sick,” said his mother.

 

“But Mom, I am too excited, I can’t wait. You remember what Miss Spider the teacher said about the name tag?”

 

“Yes I do, I have it right here,” she said as she picked up a small square piece of light blue construction paper that had the word “Frog” written on it in black magic marker. She proceeded to pin it on Freddie’s shirt with a safety pin.

 

“Thanks, Mom. Miss Spider said we would have to read our tags in front of the class. I am so excited.”

 

“Well, just settle down a bit and eat your breakfast before it gets cold.”

 

Freddie did just that and once he was finished he darted for the front door.

 

“One moment there Mister, aren’t you forgetting something?” questioned his mother as she leaned over towards Freddie.

 

“Oh yeah, almost forgot,” replied Freddie as he reached up and kissed his mom on the cheek. “Bye Mom, see you after school.”

 

His mother waved goodbye as he hopped down the front walkway and disappeared around the corner.

 

          Freddie hopped along on his way to school. It was a nice day, but it had rained the day before. He was happy that the sun had come out for his first day at Barnyard Kindergarten. He continued on his way until he came upon a large puddle in the middle of the pathway to school. Well, being a frog, you can only guess what he did next. He jumped into the puddle and splashed around for a little bit before he got out and started off to school again, only now his new clothes were soaking wet and dripping as he hopped.

 

          Freddie made it to school and took his seat in the middle of the classroom. He noticed that some of the other kids were giggling when they saw his wet clothing, but he didn’t care, this was his first day of school and he was happy. Just then the teacher called the class to order.

 

“Let’s quiet down children and get our day started. Pete, why don’t you come up to the front of the class and tell us your name and read your tag?" 

 

Pete stepped to the front of the class and said, “Hi, my name is Pete and I am . . . ,” �" and with that he looked down at the construction paper tag that was pinned to his shirt. “A pig.”

 

The class responded in unison, “Hi Pete!”

 

Corrine was next.

 

“Hello, my name is Corrine and I am a cow,” she said, looking down at her tag as well.

 

She received a similar response from the class. Each classmate took their turn based on where they sat. There was only a couple more before it was Freddie’s turn.

 

“Hi I am Cathy and I am a cat,” said the next little girl in line.

 

“My name is Bernard and I am a bird from Warbler Woods,” spoke a boy in a very elegant tone.  The class welcomed him too.

 

Now it was Freddie’s turn and he happily hopped to the front of the class.

“Hi everybody, my name is Freddie.”

 

He looked down at his tag but was so excited that he did not realize that when he had been jumping around in the puddle, the tag his mother had pinned to his shirt had become all twisted up and the lettering had bled through the back of the paper. He reached for his tag and read what it said.

 

“And I am a Gorf.”

 

With that the entire classroom began laughing very loudly and pointed at Freddie.

 

“A Gorf?” shouted one of the kids. “What is a Gorf?”

 

“I’ve never met a Gorf before,” shouted another.

 

Freddie hopped out of the classroom in tears, and did not stop hopping until he got home and was in his room. His mother, hearing him come home, went to his room to find him crying on his bed.

 

“Freddie, dear, what is wrong? Why are you crying? What happened to your clothes?” she asked.

 

“Oh, Mommy, it was awful. All of the kids were teasing me and making fun of me and I was so embarrassed. I don’t ever want to go to school again,” he told her in between tears.

 

"Why would they tease you: these are good kids that live around here and they know it is not nice to tease other children?" she asked.

 

“I don’t know.  Maybe they don’t like me,” he responded through his sniffles.

 

“All I did was read my tag and they started laughing and calling me names.”

 

His mother looked down and noticed the damp construction paper tag.

 

“Tell me what your tag says,” she asked.

 

Freddie took hold of his tag and said, “G-O-R-F, gorf.”

 

“And what happened to your clothes?” his mother inquired as she once again surveyed his wet and wrinkled outfit.

 

"Well, there was this puddle and I kind of jumped in, but only a little," he answered.

 

“Only a little, huh?  Well, your tag got wet and all turned around and you read the word 'Gorf' instead of 'Frog.'  You should not have jumped in that puddle, Freddie. I am sure the kids all thought it was funny and were not teasing you at all,” offered his mother in a tone of voice that only a mother can use.

 

Just then there was a knock at the door. His mother went downstairs to answer it, and then called upstairs, “Freddie, come down here, someone wants to see you.”

 

Freddie hopped out of his bed and down the steps. Arriving at the front door he saw his teacher, Miss Spider, who said, “Freddie, please come back to school. The kids didn’t mean anything by their laughing. They weren’t teasing you, because they know teasing is not a nice thing to do, they just thought what you said was funny. But to tell you the truth, I think it is a very good spelling assignment, so today you can call me Miss Redips.”

 

She pointed to her own name tag, which Freddie could now see was turned around and her name was written backwards. Then, he saw all of the other kids on his front sidewalk as Pete jumped out and said, “Yeah come on Freddie, we think it’s cool. Look I am a Gip.”

 

“And I am a Woc,” added Corrine.  

 

“Just call me a Tac, but don’t sit on me,” added Cathy, giggling at her new name.

 

“And I suppose if I must be, I am a Drib,” said Bernard, sounding a bit put out by all of it.

 

It was then that Freddie noticed that all of the kids had turned their tags around and had written what they were on them, backwards, just like his was. Freddie smiled up at his mother who said, “Go on, go back to school with all of your new friends. But stay out of puddles,” she added with a chuckle.

 

“And one more thing Mister, from now on you can call me . . .” she thought for a moment and then said . . . “Mom! That is what I am spelled backwards.”

 

With that everyone laughed. 

 

"O.K. Mom, oops I mean Mom, shouted Freddie as he hopped merrily down the sidewalk with the rest of the class.

  

 

 

© 2013 Jack...


Author's Note

Jack...
This is an anti-bullying children's book that I wrote. Please let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A lesson learned is a lesson earned Jack. I like this story. I am going to read this to my children tonight:) I will let you know what they think.

I related myself to Freddie. I changed schools so often...9 times in 6 years.....so you could imagine the teasing i was subjected to for much the same reason that this short story portray's. The little things can sometimes have the biggest affect on children and this alone is a missunderstood concept.

Great work Jack.

Regards
Troy

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Troy. I can't wait to hear what your kids think.
I would readily read this to my son and, as an ex-teacher, I see so many lessons that could grow from it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thank you so very much. I am very proud of this one.
I am still chuckling ...gorf...very creative and I am sure kids would love to read this....very entertaining my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

This one is special to me as your are my friend. Thank you.
carol burgess romance

10 Years Ago

You are welcome
Wow! This is a great kids' story. :D Definately try to get this published. It's well written, imaginative, and has an excellent moral. (:

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and leaving such sweet words for my little story. I am working on the .. read more
Very cute with a great moral! My niece and nephew have been bullied so it is a topic I am familiar with. I love how you included such likable characters and the little twist on MOM, that was great. Very well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Kristin. There is a funny story of how I came up with this I will tell you sometime.
This is a great story. I have been bullied all my school years but it hasn't affected me one bit, it used to, I used to refuse to go to school because I just didn't want to go through school sitting alone and not being able to chat with anyone. It was a really hard time for me, I have moved schools because of it and the teachers done nothing. I guess it is something that happens in life, to good people as well. Now, I just tend to get on with the school life, go to school, learn and come home. I sit alone at lunch with my phone and sit on WC and talk to everyone on here, I call my Gran sometimes too and she keeps me company.... Haha, this makes me sound sad.

I loved this, I loved how they were all understanding, like Freddies' classmates. An excellent write from you. Something a lot of people -including me- can relate too.

Posted 10 Years Ago


s y e

10 Years Ago

Nah, I just go to school to learn and come home, my Gran is my friend. :)
Jack...

10 Years Ago

Well, I am your friend...but I don't do homework. :)>
s y e

10 Years Ago

Haha, yes you are! Oh drats ;-P
This is a very nice story, Jack. I only wish all children were as supporting, understanding and nice as Freddies' classmates. Excellent job! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much my sweet friend.
It's so cute and adorable. Im a fan of anything for kids (nursery rhymes, etc.). Bit childish here so I loved every bit of it. :D

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much. I am happy you enjoyed it.
what a lovely lesson ... I like the most "MOM" as mom can't be change... great work ...enjoyed :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Maryam
Lily Finch

10 Years Ago

you welcome JACK :)
An adorable story, Jack, with a simple lesson. I would love to see this illustrated. A publisher might want to see some added details (a parent of one of my students is a published children's author; we chat!) but I think the story is great, and I love the backwards name game. I think teachers in primary grades could do a lot with this. Also, I think it's a good exercise for a poet to dabble in story writing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

That's great! My author friend talks a lot about her illustrator; that relationship just has to be .. read more
Jack...

10 Years Ago

What is the title? Have I read it? if not I would like to.
Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

I'll send a R/R.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

738 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 17, 2013
Last Updated on January 17, 2013
Tags: Frog, Teasing, Bullying, School

Author

Jack...
Jack...

San Antonio, TX



About
Not much to tell about me, I am just Jack, I am a poet, a writer, a musician, a painter, a builder and a dreamer. I live in south Texas but am originally from New Jersey and miss it more and more all .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..