Clarissa's Core....

Clarissa's Core....

A Chapter by Jason Dyer
"

working excerpt for protagonist development

"

    “One year tonight.  I just want you to know that it means just as much to me as it does you.”  His arm lightly placed around her.  It was the last time she ever felt completely secure.  Completely safe.  Invincible so long as she was with Keith.  Their own hiding place behind the drive-in theater where quiet and tranquility welcomed them constantly.  No one else was ever seen back there.

Leaning back in the passenger seat, her long flowing blond locks draped over the back. 

“Why can’t every night be like this?” she thought.

 

“Why can’t every night be like this?” She asked herself as she stood in the very place where it all began.  Day one of the emptiness.  Thirty-one years ago, she knew she found contentment.  Thirty years since the fateful night, she feels its absence just the same.  That unreplenishable void that vacates every ounce of her being.

 

“KEITH NO!!!  KEITH!!!”  Glass shattered everywhere as the star quarterback was yanked like a rag doll through the driver’s side window.  The climax of the action film being presented behind them buffered both of their screams. 

A looming figure in a black suit with broad shoulders had its thick arms easily wrapped around Keith’s torso.  It worked in silence and with purpose.  Struggling with desperation, the kid grunted as he elbowed anything, stomped anywhere and grabbed whatever would give him an ounce of hope.  Nothing worked. Nothing was supposed to work.  An act of pure evil, yet certainty…necessity… was at hand.

Clarissa’s courage surfaced above her panic as she jumped out of her door and darted toward Keith’s assailant.  Without a second thought she leapt on its back.  She grabbed, clawed, and ripped away and it didn’t merit her as much as casual glance.

The only sound she eventually beheld was a snap that was instantly followed by Keith’s utter silence as well as the ease of the tension from the monster that held him. 

She froze, released her own hold and fell back against the car.  Adrenaline totally dismissed the shards of shattered glass that she slid down into.  Courage gave way to numbness and hopelessness as she looked up. 

From a distance, the headlights of an exiting vehicle caused the silhouette of the large man to cover her body with darkness.  He turned, hands open at each side as Clarissa looked up.  Fear still wouldn’t overcome her.  Her pure anger resulting from the attack was solid and impermeable.  She had just lost the one thing she loved more than anything else. 

Clarissa shot a look towards him that was a mixture of shock, loss, befuddlement and, if there were ever to be a way,  vengeance…

 

Her head snapped upward.  Her eyes were a fierce, bright pink that accented not her hunger but pure unadulterated anger.  Biting her lip with ferocity, her canines gradually eased downward, slowly drawing two red lines as she opened her mouth with a deep breath.  Her balled fists squeezed out a dark crimson at her fingertips.

Clarissa let out a violent roar to the skies and then repeatedly hammered her forearm into the tree nearest to her.  Each and every blast was conjoined with her wails of agony.  Such an outburst was almost therapeutic for her as the solidity of the tree symbolized the unforgiving monster she couldn’t challenge on that fateful night.  She couldn’t budge him.  Not even draw his attention.  He had business with her.  But not before erasing the love of her life completely from the situation.  Now, just as much as then, she could do nothing.  And lots of it.

And just like she did to Keith’s car, she slid down the rugged body of the tree and plopped hopelessly on the ground as her cries melted to sobs and eventually soft whimpers.

The girl looked up again with her baby blue eyes, wiping the tears and blood from her face.



© 2012 Jason Dyer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is an incredible write! this story and your words certainly captivates the reader, you have a way with words, great job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so sad! I could feel Clarissa's pain so vividly! It does happen that when the ones you love are in danger, you gain this unworldly courage and aggressiveness you never knew you had. And you portrayed it so well! Along with the frustration at recalling that fateful night. Its a great chapter. :-)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 8, 2012
Last Updated on November 12, 2012


Author

Jason Dyer
Jason Dyer

Minier, IL



About
WIN A COPY OF MY PAPERBACK!!! CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE FOR ALL THE DETAILS!! https://www.facebook.com/JasonDyerWriter/ Just some chap with a bachelor's in criminal justice yet an unlawful im.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Jason Dyer